1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Perry County, AL declares "Barack Obama Day"

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rbell, Dec 4, 2008.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Perry County, Alabama (extremely poor, heavily African-American, and a solidly democratic stronghold in an otherwise red state), members of the county commission decided to set aside the second Monday in November as “Barack Obama Day.”
    And it won’t be a holiday in name only. Each year on Obama Day, the county will close down its offices and all of its workers — about 60 of them — will get the day off, with pay.

The only problem, according to Brett Harrison, the lone member of the five-person commission to vote against the resolution, is that the holiday will cost the county several thousand dollars — mostly in payroll expenses.

What a joke. This county can't pay their bills as it is. They are constantly under investigation for voter fraud. (Several are in jail for actually buying votes). In past elections recently, the number of absentee voters has numbered 1000% over the state's norm. The number of votes cast in 2000 and 2004 exceeded the number of registered voters.

And every time officials try and clean that dump up, the corrupt leadership there cries "race!" and nothing gets done.

Alabama Baptists have a girls' college--Judson college (an oustanding institution) there...it barely hangs on; one reason being that it is in a horrible location...a county full of corruption and graft, that refuses to be fixed; a county whose three biggest industries are crime, drugs, and welfare; and a county that would rather have an "Obama day" and further increase its debt rather than solve its problems.

Some folks is just plain stew-pid.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Sanity - fiscal or otherwise - is unfortunately NOT a prerequisite to holding government office.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A special day for someone who has done nothing ...

yet.

Makes sense. :rolleyes:

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

It works out fine. It's celebrated by a bunch of folks in Perry County who are doing nothing. Nice parallel.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guy's he will be the first black President. That alone makes this understandable.

#5 Revmitchell, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008
  6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clinton's going to be put out with you.:smilewinkgrin:

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

You know what Rev. Mitch.? I keep hearing that Obama's our first African American president but, has everyone forgotten the man is just as white as he is black? :confused:

As far as Perry county goes, its just more of the same. Stuff like this goes on in parts of this state all the time. Eventually they'll grow tired of not growing, of being dirt poor, of the coruption, of the "good ol boys" and grow up! Its just going to take the folks down there a few more decades and few more 'ferriners' (foreigners for those who don't speak southern) to marry in and bring in some new ideas.

It won't all go away, of course, but it'll get better. I've seen it happen in my own county.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

What's sad in Perry county is that the crux of the issue is unchecked corruption. And every time the light is shined on it, cries of "racism!" abound.

Maybe one day that mess will get cleaned up...

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I spit out my water laughing, I forgot about Bro. bill...