1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phil 4:19

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many years ago - a pastor was preaching on Philp 4:19 "But my God shall supply all your need" (KJV)

He went on to say that means God will provide one need at a time.

However, several versions use the word "needs"

Open for discussion -

PS Please do not make this a KJO discussion - if you want to do that - take it to "Bible Version/Translations" forum

2. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see it mainly in a temporal context concerning carnal needs. In view would be that God will supply the needs of those who...supply the needs of others.

God bless.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great verse Salty!
    Our first question is what do we need once we are in Christ. We have peace with God, we have eternal life, we have the leading of the Holy Spirit, we have the hope of our adoption, the redemption of our bodies.

We are in need of fellowship with our siblings in Christ.
    We are in need of being fruitful.
    We need to contribute to the needs of the saints and show hospitality.
    We need to watch our words and say what is edifying.
    We need to engage in good deeds
    We need to grow in maturity and not come to need milk again.
    We need endurance,
    We need to live by the Word of God

How will God supply these needs - Ephesians 3:14-20.

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Philippians 4
    17 Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account.
    18 But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God.
    19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
    20 Now unto God and our Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
    21 Salute every saint in Christ Jesus. The brethren which are with me greet you.
    22 All the saints salute you, chiefly they that are of Caesar's household.
    23 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

Notice verse 17-18 the Philippians had sent Paul a gift that they sent sent their financial support as many churches do today for missionaries. Because they dug deep and gave of their abundance God would supply their needs because they gave as we see in 2 Corinthians 9:7 "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver." They gave as they purposeth in their heart, most likely well above the tithe (10th) that many advocate today. For us of this age we are to give as as laid out in 2 Corinthians 9:7 as we purpose to give, the more we give of the abundance then the more God supplies our needs according to His riches in glory. We need to be cheerful givers and we will realize then that we cannot out give God.