1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philly Teacher: Parents With Access To Virtual Classrooms Would Do Damage To ‘Honest Conversations A

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, this fall, virtual class discussions will have many potential spectators — parents, siblings, etc. — in the same room. We’ll never be quite sure who is overhearing the discourse. What does this do for our equity/inclusion work?

How much have students depended on the (somewhat) secure barriers of our physical classrooms to encourage vulnerability? How many of us have installed some version of “what happens here stays here” to help this?

While conversations about race are in my wheelhouse, and remain a concern in this no-walls environment — I am most intrigued by the damage that “helicopter/snowplow” parents can do in honest conversations about gender/sexuality …

And while “conservative” parents are my chief concern — I know that the damage can come from the left too. If we are engaged in the messy work of destabilizing a kids racism or homophobia or transphobia — how much do we want their classmates’ parents piling on?

Philly Teacher: Parents With Access To Virtual Classrooms Would Do Damage To ‘Honest Conversations About Gender/Sexuality’

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Schools need to end this sex, religion, and politics instruction. No wonder our nation has a shortage of scientifically and technically trained people. Our educational system ranks at the bottom of the industrialized world in results and at the top in expenditure.

It is worse than you think. Sex education has found its way into kindergarten. Even teenagers are sick of this depravity:

• Like Like x 2
  3. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are afraid of letting parents see what you are teaching their kids....then maybe they shouldn't be teaching that way. I have seen posts on Twitter by teachers being really nervous about the possibility that parents might be watching. My kids are being home schooled know. There is some good teachers still, but many of them have become marxist activists......others are just bad at their job.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if they are taught to think this way in college? Why would you, as a teacher, see parents as an obstacle to what their own children are learning? Proof of indoctrination I suppose.

peace to you

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the curricula consisted of stuff schools NORMALLY OUGHT to be teaching, there would be absolutely no reason for a teacher to be concerned about a parent(s) being aware of the process!!
    Otherwise, well, "best the parents don't know":eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Better bone up on your spelling and grammar, McCree!

Just kidding! I've homeschooled my three all the way through, and I can't imagine having to fight all the bad teaching and de-tox them all the time.

7. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In fact, the parents should know what's being taught in order to help the teacher teach their children.

But this idea of what ought to be taught is the cause of grave disagreements, showing that we need a higher authority to determine what is good and bad and what needs to be taught to children.

Our schools have suffered greatly from the lack of spiritual authority in teaching (otherwise known as "discipleship").

8. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Big thumbs on a little phone that has auto correct. Doesn't always work out well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1