1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pictures, ANE Idols, Idolatry, and the common sense to know the difference

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Dec 25, 2014.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that there is no such thing as an idol in the world, and that there is no God but one. For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords, yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him. However not all men have this knowledge; but some, being accustomed to the idol until now, eat food as if it were sacrificed to an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.But food will not commend us to God; we are neither the worse if we do not eat, nor the better if we do eat. But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. For if someone sees you, who have knowledge, dining in an idol's temple, will not his conscience, if he is weak, be strengthened to eat things sacrificed to idols? For through your knowledge he who is weak is ruined, the brother for whose sake Christ died. 1 Corinthians 8:4-11

Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. I speak as to wise men; you judge what I say. Is not the cup of blessing which we bless a sharing in the blood of Christ? Is not the bread which we break a sharing in the body of Christ? Since there is one bread, we who are many are one body; for we all partake of the one bread. Look at the nation Israel; are not those who eat the sacrifices sharers in the altar? What do I mean then? That a thing sacrificed to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, but I say that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to demons and not to God; and I do not want you to become sharers in demons. 1 Corinthians 10:14-20

#41 JonC, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

#42 JonC, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2014
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Hi Biblicist,

It looks like we've concluded, and I can think of no better way than with Paul expounding on the meaningless of idols as superstitious nonsense while warning against idolatry. You attacked this thread with a vengeance, but I have not heard from you since posting Paul’s words disposing your opinion. Can we both stand in agreement with Scripture that idols are nothing (mere objects and images) while idolatry is sin?