1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Piercings

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by BelovedSon, Jan 15, 2005.

1. BelovedSon

BelovedSon New Member

Is it wrong for a Christian to pierce their ears. It seem that there are different view on piercing in general, but I just want to know if it wrong for a Christian to get their ears pierce. I've only heard one verse used to say that it bad,which is Leviticus 19:28. I don't get how this is used to say that getting your ears pierce is wrong, and I don't see how it can be wrong when in Ezekiel chapter 16, in Ezekiel message God gave Isreal Earrings. So can someone please help clear this up for me.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm no advocate of multiple piercings.
    I think they make the person look rough however piercings are a culture thing (and I'm a bit removed from the youth culture).

Biblically we are admonished to be more concerned with our inward adornment than our outward looks.

As for piercings in particular, there is a song that is sung once in a while where I go to church that relates the Hebrew tradition of piercing the ear to lifelong committment.
    It uses Exodus 21:1-6 as it's text.

Pierce my ear, O Lord my God

Pierce my ear, O Lord my God,
    Take me to Your throne this day.
    I will serve no other god,
    Lord I'm here to stay.

For You have paid the price for me,
    With Your blood You ransomed me,
    I will serve You eternally,
    A free man I'll never be.

Rob

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Having only one ear pierced was a sign that you were a slave in the Old Testament. For whatever reason a number of guys like to wear one earring only.

I dont think that saying "we are slaves to Jesus" is appropriate, Jesus broke all the bondage that was over us, and we are His by freewill.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus..." Romans 1:1

Also see Gal. 1:10; Phil. 1:1; Titus 1:1; James 1:1, 2 Peter 1:1; Jude 1:1, and Revelation 1:1

By the way, I don't like piercings and don't have one. But I won't condemn anyone who chooses to have them (even if I think it's a poor decision).

Rob

[ January 15, 2005, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Deacon ]

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry if I appeared to be condemning, that was not my intention. I did twice have my ear pierced as a teenager, and both times it got infected. Hence I just let it go, and these days the attraction just is not there, yet if someone else wanted to, go right ahead, - there is no condmenation to those in Christ Jesus!

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Piercing ears today does not mean what it did in the Bible days. I don't see anything wrong with it.

It's issues like this that some Christians get hooked on (pun intended) and keep us from focusing on the important stuff!!