1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pitfalls of the EV

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

and be sure to read the comments after the video is over

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to mention you're driving an unstoppable bomb with runaway battery energy.

When EVs crash they create a fire so intense that a fire department cannot put out the heat sufficiently. EVs need to be totally flooded and dropped into a water filled hole to be safely extinguished.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many modern homes are wired for 240 volt outlets, such as a electric dryer. Plus many folks can charge their EV using an ordinary 120 outlet overnight for their daily driving of less than 30 miles.

The left will raise taxes in the future, whether the gas tax or the electricity costs or the registration fees.

BEV's tires last more than 20,000 miles. Today's tires often last more than 40,000 miles.

4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We were trained to just get back and watch them burn. (Up wind of them)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every home is wired for 240v.

6. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's crazy. A normal vehicle fire can be put out with 500 to 1000 gallons, which is usually what 1 engine carries in our area. My substation has a main 4x4 engine at 850 gallons and a 1980s tanker at 1200 gallons.

EV's, especially Teslas can take 30,000 to 40,000 gallons of water.

With 1 engine on-scene, my captain and I would have to drive back and forth to the creek that we use as a water point 36 to 47 times to get the fire out. It's NUTS.

Not to mention that a lot of new cars have magnesium in them. When you put water on burning magnesium it explodes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Though I have never done it, I have been trained that foam is the only way to put them out quickly. Foam has its own haz mat issues.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guess what. Some homes were built before circa 1920 and were not even wired.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, Van, did you ever get your home wired??:Rolleyes :Biggrin :Roflmao

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you do not know that many homes had to be modified to install 240 outlets for electric dryers, there is nothing more I can say.

Yes, part of my home's wiring was replace when I had AC put in. New breaker box, and circuit to the compressor unit. My garage does not have a conveniently located 240 outlet. However, my son happily reported his garage did have one for a dryer appliance that was not being used, so he can buy an adapter to use that outlet for his car battery overnight charging needs.

11. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a few houses near me that are still knob and tube. Can't run a dryer in them.

One house still has an outhouse instead of toiler plumbing....no joke...

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for presenting truth Sir.

It is also true that car battery fires in EV do not occur any more frequently that gas powered vehicle fires.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 2021 - less then 10% of new vehicle sold were EV - previously -it was less then 4%.
    IMHO those stats are not sufficient to obtain a reasonable conclusion

14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And log cabins in the woods are not either. I mean homes that have electricity have 240 volt. The power companies can't run 120 to your meter base.

15. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But I bet the power Company drop is 240v.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are certainly welcome to form your own opinion!

Those on the other side imply the BEV's have more fires or are a greater risk of fire. Using your criteria, those views are invalid as they must be based on evidence not sufficient to obtain a reasonable conclusion. However, if I say the risk is the same, actually based on available data which the other side ignores, why my view is to be disparaged.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you aware that in earlier days, the phrase to phase voltage was not always 240 V?

I would put the following in quotes but then I would be charged with Plagiarism so:

' (Primary Voltage/Tap Voltage Setting) X Expected Secondary Voltage = Actual Output Voltage For Example: Given a 480V to 208V Delta > Wye, with an input voltage of 460V and a tap set for 480V would yield: (460/480) X 208 = 199.33V. In order to yield 208V this tap setting would be insufficient. You would have to use a tap setting that was lower, such as 456V.'

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am aware that voltage slightly varies.
    The point is that power companies do not drop single legs to meter bases. An old barn I used to have had 120v fuse panel. When the power company changed out transformers in the early 80s, they upgraded to a 240v meter base with a disconnect. It is hard to believe that in 2022 there are still any 120v meter bases in service.
    When I built my house, I ran 240v to the garage, the outside wall, and to the back porch.
    Of course with 600Amp service, And three panels, I had plenty of box spaces to choose from.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry but plenty of old homes still have fuse boxes. Recall the utilities were going to underground residential service. That was never completed even though all the bond money has been spent.

And the difference between center tap 120/240 and 208 is not just a variance in voltage, but also phase relationship, 180 verse 120 degrees.

20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did I say that old houses did not have fuse boxes? No. Did I say they upgraded my barns fuse box? No!
    I can't prove a negative. Can you show me examples of houses that have a service drop of 115-125V? (Only a single leg coming into the base)
    You might find 1 In a million houses.

If someone wants to charge an EV and they don't have panel capacity to handle it, they can get a service drop for a charging station in their yard.