1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Planting a church without being sent out?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Soulman, Nov 4, 2006.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well of course it is a "sending forth." I never said it wasn't!! The question is, what kind of a sending forth is it? I take it as a sending forth with no authority from the sending agency. For you to prove otherwise, you need to have examples of your position from other usages of apoluo. The word can be taken in the context either your way or my way. Thus, in order to prove your way you need examples from other passages.
    Since this is not an ethical issue, there is no way in the world it can be situation ethics. I guess I should have explained more what I was trying to say.

Since we are sent into every nation by the Great Commission, and I take the Matthew version of the Commission to be the church-planting one, then our church planting model must be valid for every nation. Since Gospel-resistant nations keep churches small (or even underground), it makes it very difficult to fulfill a church-planting model that requires deacons before the church is said to be a church. Frankly, I just don't find that model in Scripture.
    It would take too long to explain completely the situation in Japan here, but suffice it to say that it is absolutely nothing like the situation in China.

Japan is just flat out hard. The Japanese hearts are hard, and they have been 180 degrees pointed away from Christianity since the Shogun outlawed it in the early 17th century and massacred many, many thousands of Japanese Catholics.

Add to that two factors since we came to Japan: (1) the society is rapidly aging, so that those open to the Gospel are decreasing in number; (2) the Japanese are having far fewer kids (average 1.26 per couple).
    But why in the world have a deacon with only 10-20 people coming (most Japanese churches)? What would be the Biblical purpose? And where would you find someone qualified? Does the average American church have 1 out of 3 men qualified to be deacons?? No way!
    It would take too long to explain, but the Japanese are very slow spiritually. One experienced missionary estimated that it takes about 7 years to get a Japanese from salvation to full maturity.

And of course I believe the passage is about people meeting regularly in the name of Jesus as a church, since that is the context. So, one pastor, one deacon? Oops we left out the pastor's wife. Guess we can't have a church unless there are three!? :tonofbricks:

I agree with everything here but the deacons (see below). And everything but the deacons is possible right from the start with only two or three members.

The sending church can revoke his ordination and otherwise practice church discipline: dropping support, deleting from membership, sending a rep to the field to try to deal with the problem (I've seen this done effectively), contacting the supporting churches, etc.
    The new church, of course. :thumbs: When I start a church, all baptized believers are the first members, right from the start. Would you have me make them members of my home church in Tennessee? That smacks of colonialism in most countries, is impractical, and opposes the indigenous policy.
    The main stumbling block here is the issue of deacons. Everything else is possible right from the start. If there must be deacons before a church is a church, then:
    (1) What about the church at Jerusalem before they had deacons?
    (2) Why are not deacons mentioned in Titus when Paul is telling Titus how to run a church?
    (3) Why are there no Scriptures mandating deacons for a church?
    (4) Why, in fact, are deacons mentioned so little in Scripture?
    Thanks. We have no plans to quit! :thumbs:

#81 John of Japan, Dec 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2006
  2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Plant more churches . . . disciple more believers . . .

And by all means preach the Word in season and out of season - lead the lost to the Cross!

The time is coming when we will not be able to impact the eternal destiny of those that will spend eternity in hell . . .

:saint:

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The biblical purpose is to obey Scripture. It is how the Bible says to organize churches. It doesn't specify a number, though the plural seems to indicate more than one.

How can they if he is not under their authority? That is the whole issue ... You are claiming that the sending church has no authority. And that is what I am objecting to. I agree with you this, though "deleting membership" is not really a biblical option. They discipline him, drop his support, and make it impossible for him to stay.

But if your church hasn't organized how can they join?

Deacons were an institution of necessity, established in Acts 6. They became a feature of a NT churches.

Because Paul is not saying everythign about how to run a church. Notice how much other stuff he doesn't talk about. And you surely don't think that is unimportant or unnecessary.

I disagree. I think 1 Tim 3 does mandate them.

How many times should they be mentioned? I think once is sufficient.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Loved the stories--the second one sounds like it would be fascinating to hear "the rest of the story.":thumbs:

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Happy New Year! May you and your family and ministry have a wonderful 2007! [​IMG]

But the original deacons were appointed to fulfill a specific need that doesn't exist in a church of ten people.
    No, I never claimed the sending church has no authority over the sent one (though it may have seemed like that due to my interpretation of Acts 13). I claim the sending church has no authority over the church being planted (other than the intrinsic authority over the pastor as a member of the sending church).

To claim the sending church has authority over the church being planted is denominationalism, it is not Baptistic.

When I was there in the '70's Highland Park Baptist Church in Chattanooga had many “chapels” under the authority of the main church, but they each had the name “church.” The pastors were appointed by the "Chapel Office," not elected by the churches. Some of these "chapels" grew into 100's of believers. Many of those "chapels" were around for years under the main church without ever becoming independent. (There was a fear they would go into the SBC.) This is denominationalism, plain and simple. (I'm sure your intention is for your church to become independent of the mother church.)

I've been thinking about this. You know I have said that a church is a church from the very first Sunday. So they are of course members of the church that exists from the start. You know, if you will show me in the Bible where a church "organized" like you are saying it should, I might come around.:smilewinkgrin:

You will probably object that there is no chain of authority there if the church doesn't start out under a mother church, and I will answer that maybe that is a good thing since it avoids denominationalism, an unbiblical and un-Baptistic system. I believe the Lord authorizes the church planter to start that church. It is He, after all, Who is the Lord of the Harvest, not the pastor of the sending church.

But if the church doesn't exists as a church from the start, where is that non-church, almost-church in the Bible? Nowadays we may call it a chapel or a branch work. Where is a similar term in the Bible? Which church in the Bible existed as a branch work and then was officially organized into a church?

Thanks to you I went over every single NT mention of church over the weekend. :thumbs: Even when a church is small enough to meet in a house (such as the one in Philemon's house), it is still called a church. I find no mention of an intermediate form between the founding and constituting of a church. So where is it?
    Please tell me how 1 Tim. 3 mandates deacons. There is nothing there but instructions on how a deacon should be qualified. There is no command (mandate) that a church must have deacons to be a church.

Question: if a church has only one deacon, and that man dies, does the church then cease to be a church?
    Agreed. But if there are only a few mentions doesn't that mean to you that their importance is diminished? Now, thanks to you I have gone back into Scripture over the weekend to find every single NT mention of deacons. :thumbsup: I found many uses of the Greek word, but only these mentions of deacon as a possible church office (depending on your view of Phebe): the original six at Jerusalem (Acts 6:1-6, though the word deacon is not used); Phebe the deaconess (Rom. 16:1 & 27); Tychicus (Eph. 6:21, but it doesn’t say specifically of the church); “bishops and deacons” of Philippi (Phil. 1:1); the qualifications for deacons (1 Tim. 3:8-12). Where in the world is the mandate? There are no verses saying all NT churches had them, there are no commands for a church to have them, there are no commands to appoint them (unlike Paul's command to Titus to ordain elders). In fact, there are only two churches mentioned in the NT as even having deacons: Jerusalem and Philippi. So where is the mandate??

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

The issue in Japan is relatively simple.

The Japanese are the only people in the world that have seen the Holy Spirit move through their people and then seen satan decapitate the church.

They saw the shogun-god-head kill the Church. They have seen their shogunate god-head defeated. They have seen the wholesale slaughter of Christians on 2 occasions. The first occasion was the Christian Century, and the second was Hiroshima/Nagasaki. They have seen more major movements of the Holy Spirit than most other people groups . . . .

And they have seen secular materialism sweep through the country like a very well-oiled machine. In a country where secular materialism has provided very well for the people, Christianity only offers virtual poverty. Where the world offers men the opportunity to be 'men,' the Church averages less than one male per 5 females (if I remember correctly). Churches are half the size of churches in most of the world and women greatly outnumber men.

So, if you want a church to have a preacher and a deacon body . . . you will have to ordain women . . .

I am think I am with John on this . . . should American churches be asking Japanese churches to ordain a deacon body? If they ordain a deacon body to please us, who would ordain whom?

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the input, friend. You have the essential facts of history straight. Alas, the Franciscans evidently never translated the Bible in the 17th century, so the Kirishitan (Catholic Christian) movement perhaps reacted wrongly to the persecution by instigating the Satsuma Rebellion.

Concerning the Hiroshima/Nagasaki issue, I've never seen research about the numbers of actual Christians in the two cities, which were known as Catholic strongholds. It would be interesting.... Great movements were the Meiji revival in the 1870's after the complete Bible was finally translated, and the "Taikyo Dendo" revival of the Taisho era (beg. of 20th cent.).

And thanks for this excellent input. I would love to have a deacon. Our church has three grown men, two of them baptized. But none of them would yet fit the qualifications of 1 Tim. 3. If someone in America wants to tell me that our church will never be an actual NT church without deacons, I'd be happy to listen--as long as they provide the Biblical mandate for deacons, and I haven't seen that yet.

8. Apreacher4Him

Apreacher4Him New Member

Let me lay a tangent...

I would suppose that biblical examples are... biblical... but if not under command
    we should be careful of legalism here...

But, let me offer another tangent.... speaking of biblical examples...

I would say that we have "biblical examples" and even biblical exhortation
    that the church "teach faithful men" that the church train men for the ministry
    and yet we have committed the "training" or "teaching" of "faithful men" to
    the same institutions that are training business men, specifically institutions that are
    not a church.

If one was to be consistent here (or perhaps legalistic) you could make the argument that churches have droped the ball in not providing for the "education" or "training" of those who "desire the office of a bishop"...

well... what think ye?

#88 Apreacher4Him, Jan 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2007
  9. bapmom

bapmom New Member

what you say here is the main argument for all those little IFB colleges being started up as ministries under local IFB churches.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting that you should use these two terms. I believe we should carefully distinguish between Biblical command and example. It is sin not to obey a command of God, but it is not sin when we don't do things exactly as they did in the Bible. In fact, often it is impossible to do things exactly as they did in the Bible.

There are deacons mentioned in two churches in the Bible, the story of how the church at Jerusalem chose them, and the qualifications Paul gave Timothy for deacons. However, nowhere in the Bible is a command saying that churches must have them.

It is possible to make huge errors by insisting that we do everything just as 1st century Christians did. In fact, that insistence is exactly what got such heretical groups as the Church of Christ started.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true, bapmom. But remember that there are some large IFB colleges with the same philosophy such as Temple in its heyday, etc.

As you remember I have my masters from Maranatha BBC, so I don't believe that this philosophy is a mandate. However, it is a workable philosophy on many mission fields. In our case, it would have been very difficult to have a Bible institute unless it were under a local church umbrella due to the scarcity of students and the high cost of renting a second building in Japan.

12. Apreacher4Him

Apreacher4Him New Member

I thought that you would agree ... brother John...

Yes, I thought that you would agree with the distinction between biblical example
    and biblical command brother John . . . as most good exegetes and God fearing men do and would . . . but I had to ask...

Thanks for shedding your input as you read the Scriptures...

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And a very important distinction it is, I believe.:thumbsup: