1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Playoff Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by ccrobinson, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Incorrect. He struggled early in the 2nd half, but he did quite well "down the stretch" including the 1-game playoff.

I think he would have, considering how poorly the Yankees were hitting that night. In fact, I'd venture to guess he would've pitched a complete game shutout.

Rodney was actually more effective than Nathan this year. Nathan has been an awful post-season pitcher (choker? I don't know). But then again, I don't think Rodney would've been a factor, since JV would've gone the distance. :) I think the series would be 2-1 or 1-2 right now if the Tigers played the Yankees.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I can't believe we're still talking about Detroit, but here goes about this "far" superiority:

DET's P? 4.34 ERA, 1.42 WHIP, SPs won .528%, .263 BAA.
    MIN? 4.50 ERA, 1.38 WHIP, SPs won .534%, BAA .272

Fairly even, maybe a nod to DET. But far superior? Hardly. But as has been pointed out ad nasuem, DET's P wasn't good enough to get to the dance, so it's rather moot to talk about how it would fare against NYY.

His BAA went up slightly, but his ERA actually dipped a bit as he went 5-2 from Aug 1 on. He actually had better 2nd half numbers than his first half numbers.

And let's all remember one thing: DET would still have been managed by Jim Leyland in the playoffs. The same skipper who tanked this team in the dog days of summer would surely have done so in the early days of fall. MIN ran out of steam in the playoffs. DET ran out of steam by Labor Day. That's the main difference between the two teams.

True that the Humphrey bag has seen it's last baseball game. We now welcome sub-freezing baseball to the Twin Cities. Should be fun to watch the balls have to be put in a microwave between innings the first six weeks of the season.
    It'll be the cold conditions. The fact that the Twins park favored hitters/pitchers/guys whose last name begins with a vowel, or favors anyone not wearing a D on their hat. :laugh:

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Why do you think they were hitting so poorly? Because they "took the night off"?

Nathan's line: 68 2/3 IP, 42 H, 16 ER, 22 BB, 89 K, 47 S, 2.10 ERA
    Rodney's line: 75 2/3 IP, 70 H, 37 ER, 41 BB, 61 K, 37 S, 4.40 ERA

In what way was Joe Nathan more effective than Fernando Rodney in 2009?

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Rodney was very effective....at putting the Twins in the playoffs :tongue3:

Can't blame him for that. That was Leyland's fault.

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Why don't you compare Detroit's top 3 starters (you know, the ones who actually pitch in a short series) with Minnesota's top 3? That's where the big difference lies. Basically, we had Verlander who was capable of shutting down the Yankees in 2 games, and Minnesota did not.

You mean like what happened in 2006 when the Twins made the W.S. and the Tigers, who had run out of steam, got swept in the ALDS? Ooops, looks like that theory goes out the window based on actual happenings.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Andy,
    The only problem with what you're saying is that the Tigers lost to Minnesota who were then swept by the Yankees. Maybe they were better on paper but they couldn't translate it.

woulda... coulda... shoulda...

sorry, my rays got whipped badly in the last WS... we shoulda won :BangHead:

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Most likely, the Yankees hitters were off. Certainly not because they were facing any tough pitchers.

1 blown save by Rodney, 5 by Nathan. While Nathan is overall a better pitcher than Rodney (in the regular season, at least - he's been awful in the post-season), Nathan for some reason probably cost his team more losses in 2009 than Rodney did his. Luck? Probably. But in that sense, Rodney was more effective in the W-L column in 2009.

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Bottom line, I'm not saying Detroit would've beat the Yankees for sure. If they played a 5-game series 100 times, Detroit might win 20 of them. Minnesota would only win about 10, though.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Check this out (bolded for emphasis).

The part about the clothing counting was news to me. There's no question the ball hit Inge's jersey. A run should have scored. One of the first of many blown calls by the umps in the playoffs.

Most likely, it's because a pitcher who had an ERA of 3.00 in September, and had shut them down earlier in the season, was tough enough to shut them down in Game 2. Your statement that the Yankees "took the night off" is completely ridiculous.

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I don't blame the ump for missing that call - at 90 MPH that would tough for any ump to see clearly. I just chalk it up to the typical Twins good luck over the typical Tigers bad luck. If Inge were less agile, it would have hit him solid. So in this case, his athleticism was a detriment.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. It may be wrong, but it's not ridiculous to say the Yankees had an off night or were slumping at the plate. Blackburn and Pavano are not shut-down pitchers.

Bottom line, I was right when I predicted a Yankees sweep, and that's all that matters to me. I loved every minute of it. I even loved the bad call on Mauer's double - it barely put a dent in making up for the years of good fortune they've had due to their ridiculous (yes, ridiculous) stadium.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

We aren't talking about 2006. We're talking this seaons's collapse by the Tigers and how the Twins ran them down without a key player. '06 saw the Tigers cough up a hair ball, no doubt. Not as big of a collapse as this year though. On Sept 7 of this year, the Tigers were up 7. In 2006, they were up 5. Still, neither lead is a lead a good team loses. But the similarities end there. I firmly believe the Tigers were the better team in that WS and that the eventual WS champ was one of the weakest in recent memory. The Twins and Tigers both could've/should've beaten the Cards. The moral of that story? We can talk about probabilities, eventualities, and what ifs all day long. But the results stand.

I said I thought all along that one option could be that the Twins would just fall flat, and that they did. After NY came back and won game 2, I don't think anyone with a brain thought the Twinkies would peel off three straight to win the series. I did predict that the Twins would win the series and I was wrong. You predicted against the Twins (which you would do if they were playing the Al Qaeda All-Stars). We all love how consistent you are in your Twins bias. No stat is untwistable in your love of the Tigers and hatred of the Twins, and that's admirable. :thumbsup:

12. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

2006 was the bigger collapse, because the Tigers played much worse down the stretch, comparatively, than they had all year. The '09 Tigers played about the same all year - about a .530 club. Look at their Sept. record - it wasn't all that different than their other months. The '06 Tigers were 10.5 games up on Aug. 7th, and the Twins played well, but it was due more to the Tigers not playing well. 2009 had more to do with the Twins going 16-4, while the Tigers went 10-10. But what made this '09 collapse tougher was no wild card to fall back on.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Poor, poor Tigers. They are sooooooo good but they lost the season series to what we are told is a "lesser" team and lost a tiebreak game to the same "lesser" team.

I guess we are to believe that the Tigers are sooooo good they could just whoop everybody if it wasn't for the fact that they can't beat this "lesser" team. :)

14. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I think they would have been a better "playoff" team than the Twins, just like they were the better playoff team in 2006 when the Twins won the Central by a game, but the Tigers went to the W.S. I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

To be honest, neither team was all that good 2009. In 2006, both teams were good separated by a game. In 2009, both teams were slightly above average separated by a game.

BTW, you keep bringing up the one-game playoff, as if that were the end all be all of the whole season. I'm just impressed the Tigers took it to 12 innings in the Dome where the Twins usually dominate. Had the game been on a neutral site or in Detroit, we would've seen a different result.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because you are such a die-hard homer for the Tigers.

But I sympathize with you. I've been there and bought the t-shirt for my favorite sports teams at times as well. :)

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You're right, Andy. The '09 Tigers had a slightly better record down the stretch than the '06 Tigers did. This year you have to give the Twins some credit for running down the Tigers. Well...you don't and won't :laugh:

Correct. I thought I made that point earlier, but maybe I did not. Which is why I don't think either team would've fared all that well in the playoffs. Like I said, I think anything can happen in a five game series and I picked the Twins to make it past the Yankees because the Yankees had not really been tested in a while, while I thought the Twinkies could continue their pull. I'm glad in a way that NYY and LAA will square off because I think those two teams are the best two AL teams in the playoffs.

Det went 7-11 against MIN, so I don't think it's just one game.

I personally think Texas would've done better in the playoffs than MIN or DET.

17. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I hope all the LCS games are like last night's Phillies/Dodgers game. I failed to post my pick here before the game started, but it's Phillies in 7.

I'm finding it difficult to pick the Yankees/Angels series as they're so evenly matched. I'm going with Yankees in 7, but it's a very, very close series.

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Great, great games yesterday. This postseason hasn't had a great series yet, but there have been several excellent games.

I love what Joe Morgan said about game 4.

Well, Captain Obvious, the series will be tied 2-2 if the Angels win. Thus, by definition, the Angels will be back in the series. I still don't think the Angels are going to win the series, but I'd love to see it go back to New York.

While neither LCS is over, I'm looking ahead a little bit and I think a Yankees-Phillies series would be soo good. Both teams' lineups are the best in their respective leagues and they're so relentless from top to bottom.

19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

As expected, the Yankees won the ALCS. But, by winning it last night, they avoided a bad situation for the World Series. Had the Yankees lost game 6, Sabathia would have had to pitch game 7, meaning that he wouldn't have been available for game 1 of the World Series. Further, he wouldn't be able to pitch 3 times in the series, which is what I expect the Yankees to do since they obviously didn't want Gaudin to start in the ALCS.

I think the Yankees have a slightly more potent offense, but they're closer than you might think. For example, the Yankees hit 244 home runs this season and the Phils were 2nd in the majors with 224 home runs.

I think the Phillies play better defense, Chase Utley's adventures in the NLCS notwithstanding. I also don't think they're going to panic and make mistakes like the Angels did.

Because Sabathia's likely to start 3 games, I think the Yankees get a slight edge because Burnett's been better than Hamels this season. But, if I were to choose one of those two to have a big game in the Series, I'd pick Hamels.

I think the benches are fairly equal.

I think Manuel isn't going to overmanage like Girardi does, which I think is an advantage for the Phillies.

I'm going with the Phillies in 7.

20. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

The big advantage for the Yankees is they have home field advantage. Of course with the way the ball flies out in the new Yankee Stadium, the Phillies might hit a few that way as well.

I'll go with the Phillies in 5 games. Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels, Pedro Martinez (two lefties and a Yankee killer). Just hope Lidge doesn't give up the lead in the end of the games.