1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Please explain

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by vermae, Apr 19, 2006.

1. vermae

vermae New Member

:confused: What is the difference of being licened to preached and to be ordained?

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

In our Church, Licensed is when the Church believes that a brother has the gift of preaching and is called of God so they license him so that he can practice or prove his gift which gives other churches the right to use him in the pulpit, plus at his home church, for a year and then if he has proven himself to be sound in doctrine and indeed has the gift to preach they will set aside a time to examine him by a presbytery (which consists of ordained ministers) and by the laying on of hands in prayer, Ordain him.

3. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Kinda like a learner's permit.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Ordination also carries certain legal rights and responsibilities (at least in most places) which licensing does not.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've been wondering that myself.

6. Barjonah

Barjonah New Member

In some states, you have to be ordained for tax purpose to qualify as a minister. In Kentucky, which a couple posters are from, there is no difference between liscensing and ordination.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

In Kentucky there is a difference too, though some don't call it licenseing but "setting apart" and some call it licenseing. We believe that a brother must start at his home church and therefore he is licensed or set apart but cannot marry, conduct a service, baptize or any of the legal things of an ordained preacher, but simply gives other churches a right to use him in the pulpit mostly to introduce the services. At least at our churches that is so and with many of the other Baptists around us.

8. vermae

vermae New Member

Very Good.This is the best place to come and ask questions.This way my church will not know I'a dummie.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Eighteen states require ordination for weddings. The others recognized licenced or "authorized" ministers.

source

Also, the IRS does recognized those licensed as ministers (provided they meet a few other criteria). SOURCE

So, as you can see, in some denominations and in some states, there is a greater distinction between licensure and ordination that in others.

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

How can someone believe it is ok to get behind a pulpit without the consent/approval of the government, since one has to be ordained in order to be recognized ...

Aw shucks, I was just told I had to be nice today!

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

It all depends on where you are. Here, if you preach to 2 or more people on a weekly basis (of course, you can miss a week or two for inclement weather), the state considers you ordained. Other places require a piece of paper that shows approval from someone.

12. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] Welcome to my world! [​IMG]

Naw, not really. Questions are always welcome here, vermae. Just be sure to exercise broad shoulders. ;)

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not baptize? Is there a biblical basis for this restriction?

I know most baptisms now are done by ministers but in the Bible it wasn't so.

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church recently licensed me to preach. According to my pastor, it is just the church's way of sanctioning and endorsing my ministry as a teacher and fill-in for the pastor when he is gone.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

I do see some distinctions. Conducting a wedding is a civil, as well as religious matter. The other things you mention are church issues.

Licensure and ordination (the formal, "tax" definition) are extra-biblical. I didn't say wrong! Just extra-biblical. The disciples set apart folks for ministry, but I believe we've made it into a bigger deal than they did.

Please don't misunderstand that I think that it's important to recognize God's vocational call. Just pointing out that some of the stuff we do probably wasn't done in 1st-century Jerusalem.

A word to the wise, though: if you're a minister, and you will be performing a wedding out-of-state, pay careful attention to the laws of the state in which you will officiate.

16. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Don't sweat it-they probably know already-they just won't tell you! [​IMG]

In WI, you must be ordained to perform weddings, etc. but licensed are "clergy" for legal purposes.
    I haven't hear of anyone getting licenced in Wi, and don't know what the process is, but I know of some who were licensed elswhere, and had to be ordained before they became pastors.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

In our case, it is one of our articles of faith and probably because by limiting it to the ordained minister, the church is able to keep a handle on who is baptized into the church and who is not. I would think that is something you would want to be able to examine at all times. Now a lay person can help a ordained minister but not do the actual ceremony. I would think its because the Lord sent apostles to preach and baptize and we follow that example even though we are not apostles.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

So Bob,

Does that "regular water" become "holy water" when the baptist preacher steps in it?

:D

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

[​IMG] No but it does mean the ordinances, I baptize you in the name of the Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost and Amen, is conducted by one who is ordained to do so. It does become a very special place though. [​IMG]

20. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Don't worry about it. I've always taught my son to never be afraid to ask a stupid question.