1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Please help answer questions of unbeliever.

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by FearYeNot, Apr 25, 2004.

1. FearYeNot

FearYeNot New Member

Hi everyone. I'm a long time lurker here and this is my first post. I've recently shared my faith with a coworker (former RC, considers himself a "non practicing Zen Buddhist") and he has a few questions/arguments regarding God and the Bible. Many were easily answered, but I've had trouble giving detailed explanations for a few. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

"The Bible: actually the bible fascinates me, and I love debate…here are some points of confusion for me (in case you can clarify):

1.) How in the world could woman come from man (IE: Adam’s rib being taken to make Eve).

2.) If God is all knowing, and he made Adam and Eve, then why would he be surprised when they ate the forbidden fruit? This seems like a story concocted to make me distrusting towards my wife.

3.) What is an angel, and how could a fallen angel evolve into something that could actually pose a threat to God?

4.) If we are made in God’s image then why are we made with original sin? This would imply that heaven and hell are both made by God. How can we have both a sin nature and free will? Isn't this contradictory?

5.) I think the depiction of God as a male figure seems quite indicative of the male dominated era in which the Old Testament was written. How could an omnipotent being have a gender?

6.) “There is no way to God except through me.” If that is so then that means that people who do good deeds every day, but have never heard of Jesus, are going to hell. If Gandhi is going to hell, then I would say that the whole rule book just lost its creditability. Especially in light of the passage “Blessed are the peacemakers…” There are saints who have done less than that man has. "

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

1.) How in the world could woman come from man (IE: Adam’s rib being taken to make Eve).

If one believes God made man out of dirt, why would it be hard to believe God made woman out of man?

2.) If God is all knowing, and he made Adam and Eve, then why would he be surprised when they ate the forbidden fruit? This seems like a story concocted to make me distrusting towards my wife.

Who says He was surprised?

3.) What is an angel, and how could a fallen angel evolve into something that could actually pose a threat to God?

There is no threat.

4.) If we are made in God’s image then why are we made with original sin? This would imply that heaven and hell are both made by God. How can we have both a sin nature and free will? Isn't this contradictory?

We got our sin nature from Adam, not God. Spend some time in Romans.

5.) I think the depiction of God as a male figure seems quite indicative of the male dominated era in which the Old Testament was written. How could an omnipotent being have a gender?

Who says He does? Should we refer to God as it?

6.) “There is no way to God except through me.” If that is so then that means that people who do good deeds every day, but have never heard of Jesus, are going to hell. If Gandhi is going to hell, then I would say that the whole rule book just lost its creditability. Especially in light of the passage “Blessed are the peacemakers…” There are saints who have done less than that man has. "

If God gives salvation based on works, that is a correct statement. Again read Romans. Your good deeds may be filth in the sight of God.

3. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

#5) - the second person of the trinity - The Son of God - The Lord Jesus Christ was/is a male.

#6) - You not understanding the rules, you questioning the rules, and you not liking the rules - does not invalidate the rules.
    Romans 9:21 - "Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?"