1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Please respond to this verse!

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by William C, May 7, 2003.

1. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Yelsew, do you ever pay attention? :rolleyes:

You wrote "KenH, if you as a high school graduate...". Since you brought my education level into this discussion, I wanted to clarify it. [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]I made the assumption that you were a high school graduate, without regard to any higher education you may possess, because a high school graduate most certainly and loudly pronounces his/her personal beliefs in their own words to anyone who will listen. But you don't, you express the beliefs of others in their words, hence you are a parrot!

Now that you have informed us of your higher academic achievement...well, you figure it out!

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The man who never reads will never be read; he who never quotes will never be quoted. He who will not use the thoughts of other men's brains, proves that he has no brains of his own." — C. H. Spurgeon

I'll take Spurgeon's advice over your advice any day, any time, any place, Yelsew. :rolleyes:

3. Eladar

Eladar New Member

It sounds like Spurgeon cares alot about being quoted (honor for himself) or he was heavily influenced by the Catholic church.(Or perhaps a little of both)

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do know the time frame when Spurgeon lived, right? It was well past the time of Martin Luther - about 350 years. He didn't come out of the Roman Catholic Church as the early Reformers did.

If you were familiar with Spurgeon at all you would be aware of his defense of Biblical truth against both Roman Catholicism and Anglicanism.

Maybe you should browse on www.spurgeon.org. [​IMG]

5. William C

William C New Member

Ken, I'd be careful ridiculing others for not know about Spurgeon. You are the one who named yourself a "Spurgeonite" and then later found out he doesn't believe the way you do concerning God's desire to save all men and had to change your name. Just thought you needed a reminder. [​IMG]

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I changed my name for another reason. I just used you as an excuse. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't believe for a minute what you claim about Spurgeon based merely on your say so. Frankly, I do not trust your statements. Please provide your evidence or shut up about it.

7. Eladar

Eladar New Member

It has nothing to do with the time period in which he lived. It has to do with believing that quoting other people is important. It seems to me that all you are doing is replacing one set of "Church Fathers" for another.

In doing so, all you are doing is creating a different version of the Catholic Church.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have respect for those learned men who have gone before me in the faith of Jesus Christ. I refuse to disparage them. We all have much that we can learn from their years and years of study of God's Holy Word.

9. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I've seen a Catholic post pretty much the same reasoning. (Almost word for word actually)

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what are you saying, Tuor? Just you and the Bible and that's it? If so, why are you interested in what is being said on this board? :confused: Why do you listen to sermons, read commentaries, etc.? :confused: :confused:

11. William C

William C New Member

Amen, you need to tell Larry that. He has said that this doesn't have a place here.

12. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I'm saying that if you rely on quoting other people, then you are not relying on scripture. You can use their arguments, without quoting them as if they were the source of authority.

The "Spurgeon" thing just has such a "I follow Apollos" feel about it.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think what Pastor Larry is referring to is the harping that some anti-Calvinists do over the Servetus incident, which has nothing to do with Biblical theology. We are defending what we believe the Bible to teach concerning soteriology, not the man John Calvin and his actions in government centuries ago.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry you feel that way, Tuor. Obviously, we have a different viewpoint about this. As I previously told, Yelsew, if anyone does not want to read quotes, then they are certainly not under any obligation to read my posts when I use quotes in them from well-versed saints of the past or of the present day.

15. Eladar

Eladar New Member

So you are God do judge who is a "saint" and who is not? You are sounding more and more Catholic all the time.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are you talking about, Tuor? :confused: The Bible refers to all Christians as saints.

17. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Shucks, I've been at it for over 5 decades, but you are not interested in what I have to say. I guess you are only interested in your own "elect".

18. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I guess the Catholics have hijacked the term.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. They use the term in an unBiblical sense.

For example:

Philippians 1:1(NASB)
    1 Paul and Timothy, bond-servants of Christ Jesus,
    To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi, including the overseers and deacons:

20. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

When you look at the practices of the Catholics in their "imagery", they don't like to be accused of IDOLATRY, you see that they as a church raise those who have experienced something unexplainable and out of the ordinary, to the status of saint, deservedly on not. You will notice in the Catholic church there is no Saint Abraham or Saith Ezekiel, or Saint Malachi, or Saint Ezra, or Saint Jonah. They were merely faithful men of God.

The Holy Scriptures call those, who have submitted themselves wholly to God through belief in his Son, saints. By faith in Jesus one becomes a saint.