1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

POD

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Preacher Nathan Knight, Apr 3, 2003.

1. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

:rolleyes: Oh please. You STILL haven't said how POD "lowers" themselves to be like sinners. Unless your next paragraph is supposed to be that...but if it is, well, I think Matthew 7:3 would be appropriate.

To sit there and condemn POD over something like looks...wow. That takes some guts...and some terrible pride. I don't even know how to respond, it is just shocking to me that a Christian could say something like that. You're not even talking about the music probably because you've never even heard it, aren't I right? BTW, you STILL haven't told what actions they've committed that are so bad. The best you can come up with are tattoos and someone cursing? Yet you still insist on judging them? Believe it or not, you're still a sinner too, and you still make mistakes. I'm just glad God doesn't judge like you do.

Because I'm a Taylor and I reflect my father, image is more important than you can imagine for a pastor. Sad but true. Outside of church though, I do dress much like POD. Would you please tell me specifically what is wrong with POD's dress? Is it the pants? The t-shirts? The trinity necklace? The beanie?

Now, when did i do that? :confused:
    Check it out. I never did that.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Don't you realize that is exactly what you're doing when you claim that POD "lowers themselves to the level of sinners?" The only "evidence" you have of this lowering is that they spend time with these people, and then you just assume that they lower themselves.

</font>[/QUOTE]You STILL haven't told us why you think POD does this. If you can't do it then just say so.

If you know as little about this church as you do about POD, I'm guessing you have quite a few facts wrong. And honestly, the pastor has freedom to do what she wants, she answers to God for what she does. Hopefully God will use her.

Why not? Repentence isn't limited to IFB's only.
    There's a church around here that had and does includes crack dealers, prostitutes, a manager of a topless bar, ect...yet they keep coming back. Why? Because the church shows them unconditional love. And that is really what the world wants, just to be loved. Yes, they still teach repentence. And no, people don't just change overnight. But some do change...My youth pastor is one of those that did.

Maybe. it is our job to bring them to Christ. It is up to the Holy Spirit to take them from there.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To sit there and condemn POD over something like looks...wow. That takes some guts...and some terrible pride. I don't even know how to respond, it is just shocking to me that a Christian could say something like that.

A person's manners and styles of dress are modes of communication, and they are not amoral modes. They're sending us a message, and I think SuWei has gotten it.

You're not even talking about the music probably because you've never even heard it, aren't I right?

No she's not talking about the music because their music isn't the point in this thread.

BTW, you STILL haven't told what actions they've committed that are so bad. The best you can come up with are tattoos and someone cursing?

It's pretty good. The president of Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary here in Kansas City was fired for cursing. If these sots are indeed "ministers," they should be held to the same moral standards.

Yet you still insist on judging them?

Absolutely. I wouldn't allow one of them in my home, and I certainly do not judge them to be acceptable Christian role models.

Believe it or not, you're still a sinner too, and you still make mistakes.

You're point is...?

I'm just glad God doesn't judge like you do.

You can be rest assured that God's judgment is without respect of persons and according to righteousness. If I were POD, I'd be shakin' in my boots.

...it is our job to bring them to Christ. It is up to the Holy Spirit to take them from there.

And this is where your entire philosophy unravels. The Holy Spirit brings them to Christ, convicts, justifies, sanctifies and glorifies. He needs no help from us. Our reasonable service is proving what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. We do this by shunning the world and renewing our minds through the Scriptures.

3. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

Here is an article I found about POD which includes some lyrics and examines the case for/against Christians listening to POD's music.

I think it's a fairly balanced article although obviously not everyone will agree with the conclusion.

POD Discussion

God Bless

Enda

4. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did anyone else catch this? :D
    I'm not laughing at you, JD, but isn't it cute we're talking about dressing, and you say you'e a Taylor?

[​IMG]

But seriously, i think we all should dress to reflect our status as children of the most High King (not the Pastor).

Outside of church, no one knows you as the Pastor's son, but you ought to dress right because you are God's child. And that doesn't change if you're in church or not, whether you live under your dad's roof or not.

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

There are a lot of good things in that article.

Unfortunately, there's also more of the same old misinformation there.

First of all, they're not a Christian band. They're not one by their own admission and they're not one by their nature. The band says as much in one of the articles quoted here and even the author admits that they are and they aren't.

If by "Christian band", you define them as such because they sing about God, that's awfully broad and it doesn't account for the many mainstream singers such as Eric Clapton, Van Morrison, Santana, Alice Cooper, Leon Russell, Buddy and Julie Miller, Willie Nelson and many others who sing about God but who can't be considered Christian artists.

The other problem is that he makes the same false argument that, because they have dredlocks, they like Bob Marley and they use language that is common to both Rastafarianism and Christianity, they must be Rastas.

I would also hold that his interpretation of the song "Get Up, Stand Up", at least as far as he has quoted it, is his interpretation and not one that is held by most people familiar with the song. I also don't believe that that was the meaning Marley intended.

Otherwise, I thought it was a great article.

6. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The way you dress does matter!
    Scriptures concerning dressing:

Proverbs 7:10 And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.

Ecclesiastes 9:7-8 Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works. Let thy garments be always white; and let thy head lack no ointment.

This is interesting. Anyone has insight about why white garments?

...Tatoos?:

Leviticus 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

I agree that most people don't change overnight after their salvation experience. (Though this is not the case with Zachaeus.)
    But if they are truly saved, they would show a change of heart and attitude towards their sin if they have properly understood the cost of their salvation. And they would thereafter take the steps to change. Maybe small steps at first but they have to have fruits of their repentance.

Repentance - shown through action, and a changed life :

Matthew 3:7-8 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

Luke 19:8 And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.

Luke 7:36-38 And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat. And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment, And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.

7. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not necessarily. Though I think that such influence of entertainment gimmicks can be distracting, you can't assume they are not teaching repentance, as if it's only traditional services that can do that. </font>[/QUOTE]Nope, i'm not saying they don't teach repentance. I know they do. But practically speaking, it is not carried out. Their lives are not much different from before they were saved (if indeed, it was a genuine salvation experience.)

8. JonathanDT

JonathanDT New Member

Please tell me what on earth is wrong with their clothes??? I really want to know since I wear similar things.

That's too bad, I guess we're no longer allowed to be human. What are "sots?" Ministers? Aren't we ALL ministers???

Allowing them into your own home is your choice. Judging them with no basis is something that I just don't understand and will strongly argue against.
    My point is you should remove sin from your own life before trying to rip it out of another's. IOW, "Let he who has no sin cast the first stone."

See, this is the pride I was talking about. Do you really think you're such a better Christian then they are?

Romans 10:14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?
    It is our job (among other things) to tell them about Christ.

Enda, that's a pretty good article, better then almost any other I've seen as far as analysing POD. I agree with Mike's points. I think any idea that they are rastas can be put to rest with the addition of their new guitarist. He's a white, hard core Christian rocker.

Su, my dress is modest. As is PODs. I still don't understand what your complaint is about this.

God bless,
    `JD

9. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

You can't generalize like that, because while there are some who come out of these churches like that, there are many whose lives do change. Plus, with people being into a variety of heinous sins, which they do quit, how could you even say "their lives are not much different from before"? Once again, this is a very broad overgeneralization. Plus, believe it or not, there are many in IFB churches like that as well. It can become easy to go through the motions of dressing up and listening to the traditional music and bible translation and all the preaching about "separation" in church, and otherwise put on a show, but then live like a heathen the rest of the time. So you cannot blame the lack of repentance in today's Christianity on "traditional vs. contemporary".

10. Lyzzee

Lyzzee New Member

Did anyone read this? Anyone at all?

11. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi [​IMG]
    and what was your point, Lyzzee? :confused: