1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Politics, pragmatism, and the lesser of two evils

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 2, 2008.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you ready to offer proof that the Republican candidate is, in fact, evil?

It has already been proven here that Obama is.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18632802

And while now former candidate Fred Thompson, the former senator from Tennessee, won the coveted endorsement from the National Right to Life Committee, McCain's voting record on the issue is just fine, says David O'Steen, the group's executive director.

"He's been very consistent; he hasn't changed his position," O'Steen says. He says that his group has supported McCain in every one of his senate races. "We've always considered him pro-life," he says.

Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, says her group has always considered McCain pro-life as well. And it's not just abortion, she says.

"He voted against family planning, he voted against the freedom of access to clinic entrances — that was about violence against women in clinics," Keenan says, adding, "He voted against funding for teen pregnancy-prevention programs, and making sure that abstinence only was medically accurate. This is very, very extreme."

#21 carpro, Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2008
  2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

First, this hardly invalidates my point. Second, I am not asking anyone to give up their principles. I am suggesting we should have a higher principle.

3. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

That's a great point. I don't see McCain as being evil. I think he's wrong on certain issues, but evil? No, I don't think so. IMHO, it's entirely possible to be sincerely mistaken without wishing to be wrong, and at least to me, evil implies a desire to be wrong.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The phrase lesser of the evils simply articulates that there is no ideal choice to be made. It does not necessarily or automatically indicate that someone is actually evil.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Such arrogance!

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Could you explain why it is "such arrogance" to suggest that being a true Christian is incompatible with voting for someone like Obama whose record on moral issues is distinctly anti-Christian?

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May I hazard a guess?

OK, they aren't "one issue" voters!

I know, don't fly with me either, but that's what "they" say!:BangHead: