1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Poll- Do babies that die go to hell?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Winman, Aug 15, 2014.

?
  1. All babies that die go to hell

2.8%
  2. All babies that die go to heaven

75.0%
  3. Elect babies go to heaven, non-elect babies go to hell

8.3%
  4. Other, please explain

13.9%
  1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Albert Mohler wrote the following after the Tsunami hit South Asia. I think he does a good job of addressing a difficult issue! I have posted this before!

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Exactly. II Samuel 12:23

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman,

if you had opened up the 1689 confession of faith....you would have seen how the scriptures addressed this question in a way that cannot be improved upon;

1. Those whom God hath predestinated unto life, he is pleased in his appointed, and accepted time, effectually to call, by his Word and Spirit, out of that state of sin and death in which they are by nature, to grace and salvation by Jesus Christ; enlightening their minds spiritually and savingly to understand the things of God; taking away their heart of stone, and giving unto them a heart of flesh; renewing their wills, and by his almighty power determining them to that which is good, and effectually drawing them to Jesus Christ; yet so as they come most freely, being made willing by his grace. ( Romans 8:30; Romans 11:7; Ephesians 1:10, 11; 2 Thessalonians 2:13, 14; Ephesians 2:1-6; Acts 26:18; Ephesians 1:17, 18; Ezekiel 36:26; Deuteronomy 30:6; Ezekiel 36:27; Ephesians 1:19; Psalm 110:3; Song of Solomon 1:4 )

2. This effectual call is of God's free and special grace alone, not from anything at all foreseen in man, nor from any power or agency in the creature, being wholly passive therein, being dead in sins and trespasses, until being quickened and renewed by the Holy Spirit; he is thereby enabled to answer this call, and to embrace the grace offered and conveyed in it, and that by no less power than that which raised up Christ from the dead. ( 2 Timothy 1:9; Ephesians 2:8; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Ephesians 2:5; John 5:25; Ephesians 1:19, 20 )

3. Elect infants dying in infancy are regenerated and saved by Christ through the Spirit; who worketh when, and where, and how he pleases; so also are all elect persons, who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word. ( John 3:3, 5, 6; John 3:8 )4. Others not elected, although they may be called by the ministry of the Word, and may have some common operations of the Spirit, yet not being effectually drawn by the Father, they neither will nor can truly come to Christ, and therefore cannot be saved: much less can men that receive not the Christian religion be saved; be they never so diligent to frame their lives according to the light of nature and the law of that religion they do profess. ( Matthew 22:14; Matthew 13:20, 21; Hebrews 6:4, 5; John 6:44, 45, 65; 1 John 2:24, 25; Acts 4:12; John 4:22; John 17:3 )

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Iconoclast, I did not ask this question because I did not know the answer, I asked this question to see what other people believed.

Reading without comprehension is no better than being completely illiterate.

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Thanks Tom and Jedi Knight . I had forgotten that Scripture.

#25 OldRegular, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  6. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So as a Calvinist, choice is the issue??? This is not consistent calvinism.

I stand by the logic that the same criteria that applies to children and adults in God's unconditional election also applies to babies... it is based on his unconditional free choice based on his good pleasure. Therefore... well you figure out the result. I put #3 though it could be worded better of course.

7. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come on guys... that passage is obviously referring to the grave... not the after life. Jews and the OT didn't talk about the afterlife like neo-platonic western Christians do. There was life, death, and resurrection life in the world. They didn't care about heaven. Plato has screwed evangelicalism.

8. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fifty days from the morrow after the Sabbath following the death of Christ, Peter said that on that very day David was both dead and buried and that being David was speaking of the Christ and not himself in that his soul would not be left in Hades I assume that meant the soul of David was still in Hades on that day, therefore where was the baby of David and Bathsheba?

9. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've always been told and believed the answer to this was something along the lines of, babies go to heaven because they aren't even old enough to know what the gospel is, much less accept it.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

As I said, you are only allowed one short line in a poll question, so you cannot go into detail. What I wrote is not much different from what Iconoclast pasted here;

Basically, all this is saying is elect infants that die go to heaven, and non-elect infants that die do not.

Would you ridicule your Calvinist creeds as you do me for stating the obvious?

If anything, I said the same thing in FAR less words.

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see from the poll results at this point there are those who believe that some babies who die go to hell as they were not of the elect. Here, again, is another example of Calvinists making God into a monster.

Calvinists continue to convince me they are wrong!

12. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I don't think my phrases were much longer but fair enough.

First, I never ridiculed you. I was trying to give you some input on what I thought of the poll options. There really was no ridicule. If you saw ridicule then I apologize for giving you that impression.

Second, regarding the confession. I do think it is stating the obvious but in this case that is more appropriate since the purpose of a confession is to be a summary of beliefs, even of the obvious ones.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Some folks believe that some babies are born elect for whatever reasons and would therefore go to heaven if they died, and believe that some babies are born non-elect and would therefore go to hell if they died. I tried to provide a place to vote for these folks, with as few words as possible, as that is all you are allowed.

And yes, I took it as ridicule because you simply nit-picked my poll. You do not nit-pick Calvinist confessions that also state the obvious.

And I still don't know what you believe, you chose "other", but you did not explain what you believe.

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

That is not the point of the poll, the poll is simply to see what folks here believe.

15. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

OK

Well it wasn't.

I said, "I don't know."

#35 RLBosley, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are most certainly correct sir:thumbsup::wavey::thumbsup:

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your twist on what has been said demonstrates a lack of trust in the biblical God.

Are you presuming and stating that if God does not do exactly like what you think he should do than he should not be the object of our worship and praise?

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman

And yet it is different indeed

No..... some folks believe that a Holy God has elected a multitude of persons in His Son for His most Holy and wise purposes. This election does not depend on human wisdom or the lack thereof, but on God's Holy purpose alone.

Our feelings or thoughts on this which are flawed do not in anyway dictate to God what he alone has determined is Most Holy and wise.

The words written in the confession of faith leave it entirely in the hands of God which is where it belongs.

Any other answer cannot be supported biblically. The only reason that other "ideas" are offered is many are deficient in their understanding of the biblical salvation as if it depended on man and not upon God.

These false ideas are in place because of a defective view of the fall and mans condition.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Again, reading without comprehension is no different than being illiterate. :rolleyes:

Give it up dude.

20. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am presuming that the Biblical God desires that none be lost.

Are you presuming and that if God does not do exactly as you like, save some and condemn others, even babies, that he is not worthy of worship and praise?