1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll on Doctrines of Grace and Free Will

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by CF1, Nov 12, 2010.

?
  1. Doctrines of Grace / Predestination / 5 Point Calvinism

38 vote(s)
    55.1%
  2. Doctrines of Grace / Predestination / 4 Point Calvinism

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Doctrines of Grace / Predestination / 3 Point Calvinism

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. Accepting a mixture of Grace and Free Will

13 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Doctrines of Free Will + Eternal Security is Secure

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  6. Doctrines of Free Will / Full Arminianism

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Open Theism (God can make up his mind later)

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Don't believe we should summarize the Bible in terms above

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  9. Undecided / Have not really studied it enough to know what I believe with the terms above

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  10. A mixture of various views above (I checked multiple options)

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRBooe

SRBooe New Member

Well, I have truly been blessed this morning. Thank you, brother.

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

"Accepting a mixture" for ME means that neither side has it completely right. If you don't like that, well, learn to live with it. :D

A couple of points:

Someone said, where did Adam have the choice in his salvation? I believe that choice to be demonstrated a few pages later in the story of Cain:

Gen 4:5 but unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
    Gen 4:6 And Jehovah said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
    Gen 4:7 If thou doest well, shall it not be lifted up? and if thou doest not well, sin coucheth at the door: and unto thee shall be its desire, but do thou rule over it.

What is God doing here, if not reminding Cain that he has a choice to make? What does it mean that God tells Cain in the last part of v4 that he(Cain) rules over the desire of sin?

So no, I don't believe man has no choice whatsoever, no power whatsoever. I believe God within His sovereignty has given man this choice. I do NOT believe that God in any manner loses His sovereignty by giving man the choice to follow or not. And I don't believe it can be shown scriptually that He does.

The fact that God chose certain individuals down through the ages to spread His word and do great things in His name does not lead me to believe He takes this choice from man. It is simply as Christ once said: He is the potter. He chose some for greatness and others for humbleness. This is a dispensation of gifts, not salvation.

Any one of those men from Adam on down, could have said no. Cain did. Lot's wife did. The path of salvation was provided and they rejected it. Could God have "forced" them into His way? Absolutely. But He didn't. He permits man to choose for himself.

Second point:

God is never at the mercy of puny men. He is only "at the mercy of" His own rules. Rules He made for Himself, without the input of men, angels or anyone/thing else that has been revealed to us. That He chose to put a condition upon Himself (that of allowing men to choose Him freely), does NOT put Him at the mercy of puny men. It only means He checks His own behavior. He has great self-control. He could have exterminated man from the face of the earth during the flood, but He chose to allow a handful of people that believed to survive and then promised never to bring man to the brink of extinction again. Why? Because it accomplished His purpose and *WE* do not have to understand all aspects of that purpose!

Where in the story of Noah, was God ever at man's mercy? Nowhere! This is not a two-way street. God allowing us to chose Him or death, doesn't mean that we affect any of God's purpose. He is flexible enough to accomplish His purpose with or without us!

Some of ya'll restrict God by saying He must be following a strict plan. I don't believe that. That makes God rather inflexible. And inflexible does not mean unchanging. God can be flexible and unchanging at the same time. Some ya'll don't seem to believe that.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good stuff and much wisdom :thumbs:

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I presume that you are aiming this at me, since I've had the largest recent post that supported a Calvinistic point of view...

Question for you... Do you support open theology?

Also, I'd not noticed any place where I placed any restrictions on God in any way, shape, or form. You might be reading something into what I posted.

6. menageriekeeper

Actually glfredrick, I wasn't. The comment was made about the theme of the previous posts in general, not to anyone in particular, even though I quoted Jim1999. His post was merely a good place to begin.

Open Theology. Hmmm, if by that you are asking if I believe that Christ's sacrifice was sufficient to cover the sins of every human ever born, past or future, the answer is yes. If you are asking if I believe every human ever born, past or future, will at some point in time be saved, the answer is no.

I believe, as the scriptures say, "if I be lifted up I will draw all men to me" to be true. Men will be drawn, buy many will say no, just as in the wilderness when the snakes ran among the people of Isreal and they had to choose to look upon the brass snake that was lifted up in the midst for healing. Those who looked were healed, those who didn't, died.

7. CF1

CF1 New Member

Great examples above of asking for more clarity, getting more clarity, probably needing to ask for yet more clarity and get more clarity again, but nevertheless as we clarify thoughts more and more, this process sometimes shows the reasons we view things the way we do, and we help each other see God's greatness. Sometimes it changes our minds to see something more accurately than we thought before.

In the process of studying and clarifying we see the Glory of God more clearly.

All of us see through a dim glass, and can't see it all.

But sometimes we catch the rays of a diamond sparkling with God's love.

We should never stop trying to clarify our view of God on Earth, as we Love God more. Like Pilgrim, in Pilgrim's progress, we are all at a different place in the journey, but heading to the same destination.

1 Peter 2:2 (New American Standard Bible)
    like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation,

What a privilege to "long for the Word"

#47 CF1, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2010
  8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    and sometimes the old nature is still able to win...which is why the only being with true free will or ability to choose obedience or disobedience is the regenerate...the unregenerate always goes by his old nature ...

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Pinoy, you know I luv u, but I totally disagree with this. The unregenerate do go against their nature every time they resist the temptation to lie, steal, commit adultery, ect. Some of the unregenerate are actually very good people. But that will not get them to heaven, since their sin is still held against them and the payment for that is death.

10. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Thanks for clarifying the direction of your post...

Here is a link that explains open theism, also called open theology and a few other names:

http://www.theopedia.com/Open_theism

I see you as holding to this position, but since you've not been exposed to the teaching, you may not have had time to process all the implications of it. It has become popular in some circles in the past decade and many hold to a "soft" position on open theology without even really knowing that they do.

For the record, I am not for open theism. I hold that God knows all things, even those that have not yet happened, which I believe is the biblical position, not the logical position. Logic dictates that what has not yet happened cannot yet be known, but God has shown us constantly in the Scriptures that He knows what will come about -- even to the finest points of detail -- and that He is always right, even if we misinterpret His prophecies (as did the Jews if the 1st century).

11. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Amen and Amen!

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't see how her position is open theism. Was it open theism when God granted Hezekiah an additional 15 years? The non calvinist position can be one of open theism, but it is not the natural conclusion by default.

13. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

This is what led me to see the position as "open theism"

From the link I posted above:

The following (and many more!) theologians have expressed opposition to open theism, most of them in considered peer-reviewed articles and books:

John MacArthur
    R.C. Sproul
    Josh McDowell
    D.A. Carson
    A.B.Caneday
    Al Mohler
    Charles Stanley
    Charles Swindoll
    Alistair Begg
    Alister McGrath
    Norman Geisler
    Hank Hanegraaff
    Adrian Rogers
    Millard Erickson
    Douglas Moo
    John Feinberg
    Ken Ham
    D.James Kennedy
    David Jeremiah
    John Maxwell
    Max Lucado
    Tom Schreiner
    John Stott
    Ravi Zacharias
    Charles Colson
    Os Guinness
    J.I. Packer
    Bruce Ware
    John Piper
    John Frame
    William Lane Craig

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know what Open Theism is. You can add me to your list :)

What she said does not mean she is an open theist. The fact is, there is a tension in Scripture how an infinite God deals with finite man within the confines of time, the story of Hezekiah being such an example. He had decreed that Hez needed to get his house in order as he was going to die. God heard Hez's prayer, and granted him an additional 15 years of life. From this we get:

God decreed he was going to die.
    God told him to get his home in order.
    The message was delivered to him stating he was going to die.
    Hez prayed.
    God heard his prayer.
    God granted him 15 more years of life.

Now we can spin this any way we like using theological systems and logic, but it is immutable truth God did change His mind after hearing his prayer. To deny that is to deny absolute truth.

15. menageriekeeper

This one point seperates me from Open Theism. I do NOT in any way shape or form believe that God doesn't know the future exhaustively. Rather I believe that He can see each and every future that could possible result from any decision made by any person during any timeframe. God is beyond time, outside of it and is the Creator of time. He has no problem seeing through what clouds our knowledge of it.

No, it is those who believe that God has set forth one single path and forces men to His story, who make God inflexible and deny His power.

In Webdog's story of Hezikiah, you would have God be made a liar, that He really didn't intend that Hezikiah die even though He told him specifically that he would. Not so! God told Hezekiah exactly what He meant, "go get your affairs in order for you will shortly die". (kind of a blessing in my book to have prior knowledge and time to get the living ready) Then God changed His mind, after hearing Hezekiah's plea. Do you really think that God didn't know what the outcome of both possibilities were? Do you think He was to dumb (ugg, I hate to use that word in reference to He who created me), to unpowerful, to shortsighted, to foresee the consequences of each decision? Say it ain't so!

16. CF1

CF1 New Member

I've often wondered with curiosity (don't know) if the way how God works together with our prayers is as complicated as how DNA reproduces itself. There is an intricate detailed plan, like a computer program, in DNA, but then you have all these enzymes working together as well. It's fascinating and amazing how intricate and detailed it all is. I see the fingerprints of God everywhere in DNA. I love the DVD "God of Wonders", available at online bookstores. It reminds me of doctrines of grace and free will. Perhaps there is a similarity or parallel in how God designed both with intelligent design. Can't wait to get to heaven to find out. Until then I am in awe of His works I see with my dim glass.

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

"goobly glock"??? LOL

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Who has said this? I don't recall any of my posts where this was what was said or implied (by me). You have brought out a strawman argument that is indeed easy to defeat.

Now, if the wording were changed somewhat I would have no qualms in identifying with a statement of God's sovereignty in the world...

Perhaps: "God is working through history to accomplish His ultimate will, and no action of human man or woman nor of devil or fallen angel nor of the natural cosmos will thwart the success and implementation of that plan."

Your statement makes God out to be deterministic instead of sovereign. God is not deterministic in His sovereignty; Allah is. So in presenting a statement of God in a deterministic fashion for me to sign onto is in a sense, asking me to say yes to a supposed god alien from the One True God of the Bible.

Of note, the position you take with your statement above (assuming that you hold to some contra position) carries with it an implication that left to our own devices, we humans are not sinful and/or not in rebellion against God, and that we will work alongside God to accomplish His will, thus He has no need to direct history or the actions of persons in that history. Are you sure you wish to argue from that perspective? I would greatly prefer a deterministic God than a God who leaves us to our own will or our own actions to accomplish His divine purpose. Thank God, He has sovereignly -- in a way that we will probably never truly grasp -- made a way to be ultimately sovereign over every particle that makes up every atom that builds every substance and every life in this cosmos, but yet without being deterministic in that He "drags us kicking and screaming" to some place or action against our wills.

I have already described how God caused my own "kicking and screaming will" to bend to His, and for Him it was child's play. My heart turned gladly to my Lord and Savior when I came into His presence, but HE initiated that action, not me!

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:) Hmmm....

20. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Hmmm... What?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.