1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Poll: Was Nero the "beast/antichrist"?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by robycop3, Apr 19, 2019.

?
  1. Yes, Nero was the "beast/antichrist".

21.4%
  2. No, Nero was NOT the "beast/antichrist".

78.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I learned it myself, thru extensive Bible & history study, NOT from the opinions of others.

2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just came up with the complexities of Dispensationalism all by yourself?

3. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.
    John 14:30 I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming, and he has nothing in Me.[/quote]
    There; you have it straight from Jesus Himself. That's why I say, "Try reading & BELIEVING the Bible." That preterist trash is a pack of lies.

4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's what some call "futurism". There are quite a few still-to-be-fulfilled Biblical prophecies.

There are but three "dispensations" - Old Covenent, New Covenant(the present one) & the new world after Jesus' return.

5. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    They trained you well even if wrongly.

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody trained me but myself. But evidently some pret quacks trained YOU.

7. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    There; you have it straight from Jesus Himself. That's why I say, "Try reading & BELIEVING the Bible." That preterist trash is a pack of lies.[/QUOTE]
    The problem that makes me shudder is that Jesus said only the born again can see the kingdom here now. And those who ant a kingdom of sight instead of a kingdom of faith concern me.

8. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think what you were programmed to think, but the truth will make you free.

9. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is your interpretation of Revelation. There are others. And it isn't worth arguing about. Whether Revelation is past or future doesn't move the needle for my daily work, nor yours.

10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem that makes me shudder is that Jesus said only the born again can see the kingdom here now. And those who ant a kingdom of sight instead of a kingdom of faith concern me.[/QUOTE]
    So, you disregard Jesus' words I posted above?

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the TRUTH is, you don't tell it here too often.

12. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has PLENTY to do with convincing a skeptic about the truth of God's words.

13. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are making yourself God saying all who you disagree with are wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How many skeptics have you personally brought to the Kingdom by pressing your opinion about Revelation?

• Like Like x 1
  15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, when Scripture plainly says something & you deny it, it's plain why I and many others disagree with you.

16. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know. I don't see too many of those to whom I witness any more, with a "street corner" ministry.

17. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So in your church, do women have their heads covered I assume? Do they speak or sing? These are explicitly addressed by Paul. Do you pay your pastor? If so, where is that authorized? Do you meet in a building? Where is that authorized? Have you literally moved mountains because of your faith, as Jesus plainly told you that you could do, if you only had enough faith? Have you cut off your hand because you stole a piece of candy? Have you gouged out your eye because you peeked at a Playboy magazine or Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue?

When we literalize everything in the Holy Scripture, it's like painting an old fence: There's nowhere to quit.

18. TurnTheTide1611

TurnTheTide1611 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, with their long hair. (I Corinthians 11:15)

Speak no; sing yes (see Exodus 15:20-21, women were allowed to sing in the "church in the wilderness")

Yes, these are explicitly addressed by Paul. And how else can they be taken other than literally? Do you think he was writing figuratively? Most people that do not follow these commands use a different line of argument - like trying to say they only apply to Corinth or such like - because the idea that he is speaking figuratively is absurd.

Yes

1 Corinthians 9: 6-11

Yes

Colossians 4:15 Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house.

I'm assuming his house is a building.

No, never had a need. That doesn't mean it couldn't literally be done. Have you not seen some of the incredible prayers in the Bible that got answered?

God isn't our genie, and prayer isn't a game.

I never stole anything to my recollection.

No. There are other lesser means that can be taken before one goes to that ultimate extreme. But the verse is still literal. It is better (literally) to cut off your hand and enter life than to be cast into hell with both hands. And if your only option to avoid hell is to literally cut off your hand, that is in fact sound (literal) advice.

You don't literalize everything. When you read a book composed of doctrinal epistles, law books, history books, psalms, prophecies, etc. you shouldn't take anything figuratively unless there is reason to from the context. The Bible is not an Eastern Mystical book.

Read the Bible normally, just like you would any other law book, or personal correspondence, etc. with the difference being that you should recognize that it is the word of God, and without error.

19. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  20. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture "plainly says" what any cult mind wants it to say. It is a big Rorschach Test for every "end times" crackpot out there. But careful study rooted in church history and the creeds help insure we have a proper understanding. Amillennialism is in the Nicene Creed and the other ideas are not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.