1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poor and black:

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mima, May 21, 2006.

1. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I told my husband about this thread when it was started, and he has kept up with it since then. Here are some of HIS thoughts. He doesn't have a BB account, and even if he did, he would not have the time to post.

First of all, he does not think it is racist, although at first he was offended. He did say that he did not believe mima was trying to purposely offend anyone. To put it bluntly, "poor and black", in conjunction with, "street" is the polite way to say "ghetto rat". What he believes many on here do not understand is that black people are stereotyped regardless of how they look or act. They have to fight everyday to break that stereotype, unless they are already well known, whereas white people do not, unless they specifically try to look a certain way, i.e., Goth.

Secondly, he does believe that black culture does have strong religious roots, although he doesn't think it is denominational. It is more of strong belief in God and his power and mercy. He would not necessarily say they are more receptive to the gospel message, though. It really depends on the person, and how they were raised.

He also made an interesting point that maybe it seems as if black people are more receptive when they are actually trying to be polite. Not necessarily trying to "impress" the person witnessing to them, but rather trying to break the stereotype, in their own way. Of course, as with anything, this does not mean everyone, but more in general terms.