1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Popes vist to the USA

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the pope is comming to Americia.
    If you had the opportunity to meet him in person, would you do so?
    If so, and those in charge informed you must bow down, would you do so?
    What would you say to the pope, if you had the chance?

Do you think there is too much media coverage?

If you live in the NY City or DC area, do you forsee a problem with traffic?

Any other thoughts?

Salty

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'd like to meet him, but not if I had to kiss his ring or something like that.

I'd like to have a conversation with him, just to add him to the list of famous people I've met.

I don't think there's too much media coverage, although it's a bit too fawning at times. He's a world figure and even non-Catholics are interested in his comings, goings and speakings.

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

No, I wouldn't want to meet him.
    Bow to a man who is just as big a sinner as I? I should think not. You're kidding I hope.
    Denounce the priestly hierarchy that you have over your people and start preaching Grace by faith, not of works.
    Yes there is too much media coverage.
    You know that the traffic is going nightmarish.
    I think that there is a move to be cozy with the RCC. That coziness should make all Baptist's blood run cold.

4. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Let me reply with one of my favorite stories. A number of years ago, when I was on the staff of the D. C. Baptist Convention, I was working late one evening and so fielded a phone call from someone who wanted to know, "Who is the head Baptist?". When I asked for clarification, she said, "You know, like the Catholics have the Pope and the Anglicans have the Archbishop of Canterbury. Who is the head Baptist?"

I gave her a short lesson in Baptist polity and then said, "But if there is anything comparable, the closest would be the General Secretary of the Baptist World Alliance."

The BWA at that time shared our building, and so the next morning, when I came to the office, it was evident that some messy "partying" had gone on the night before. Who should be policing the parking lot, picking up trash, but Bob Denney, then General Secretary of the BWA?! I thought, "I'll wager the Pope does not pick up trash at Vatican City, nor the Archbishop at Lambeth Palace." Here is the way to think of power and grandeur and all such pretense -- he would be chief among you must be the servant of all.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm from NY and yes, there will be traffic. Even without the Pope, there's traffic. So he won't change anything.

I'd not really be interested to meet him. I grew up (well until the age of 7 - but I was real grown up then) Catholic and am happy to be out of that bondage.

I have to say, though - they were covering the visit on the news last night and they interviewed a number of people. One woman looked like she was meeting God - seriously! She was crying and excited and saying "Oh, he's going to bring peace to NY!" Oh, he is?? HOW?????? LOL

6. mactx

mactx New Member

If you had the opportunity to meet him in person, would you do so? No
    If so, and those in charge informed you must bow down, would you do so? Definitely not
    What would you say to the pope, if you had the chance?
    No clue I would have to ponder on it.

Do you think there is too much media coverage? yes

If you live in the NY City or DC area, do you forsee a problem with traffic? I don't

Any other thoughts? nope

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Yes, I would.
    2) I would give him the appopriate respect due to leader of a sovereign state. I wouldn't kiss Mr. Bush's ring, and I wouldn't kiss the pope's.
    3) I have no idea.
    4) No. The stations around here haven't been overly obsessive or anything.

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yehaw!

Certainly. He seems wise and very nice.

Depends on how deep. I've bowed out of respect for Asian friends.

I'd ask him if he thought the Irish had a shot for the naitonal title...no, come on...I don't know, probably thank him for his wise representation of Christianity to the world and wish him grace and peace in the name of our mutual Savior Jesus Christ.

No, he's a significant figure who actually holds to deeply biblical positions on many matters. Additionally he is highlighting some areas of prayer and concern that are significant for all in this world.

lol...you clearly have never been in either NYC or DC...there is always a problem with traffic ;)

I really enjoyed the last papal encyclical...:)

#8 preachinjesus, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I have driven in both places, as well as many other metro areas; actually, what I meant was during the popes visit, many streets will be blocked off and so forth, ... would that cause major problems?

10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a face-to-face conversation? Sure.

Nope.

I would welcome him to the U.S. and discuss whatever presented itself.

Nope. It's a newsworthy event. Baptists get a fair amount of press when they do things too.

11. Beth

Beth New Member

Sure!

Sure, I'd LOVE to meet him for the opportunity to reason the gospel with him. Who knows, perhaps he would come to a saving faith in Jesus Christ!!!

:jesus:

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - You certainly don't live in NY. The only time Baptists are on the news is either when they do something wrong or it's a black Baptist political thing (in other words, not a church thing but like say the Abysinnian Baptist Church and Calvin Butts). No normal Baptist stuff on the news around here!

13. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no need or desire to meet the pope or bow to him. If I had to speak to him, I'd probably offer to pray that God would open his eyes to the truth of the gospel. Yes, there will be traffic, and yes, there is too much media coverage.

Not to sound unkind, but the pope is just a human like everybody else. Men have elevated him to a certain position, but I don't understand why that would deserve special respect or honor from someone like myself, who isn't Catholic. I believe we should respect authority, but the pope is not my authority. I would simply treat him like any other person.

And I don't kiss rings--period.

14. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I wonder how the Apostle Paul would respond to these questions.

15. North Carolina Tentmaker

If I had the opportunity to meet him I would. I would rather have a personal conversation with him then a handshake while he goes through a crowd. I certainly would not want him to 'bless' me. That would be creepy.

On bowing down, it would depend. If I was there completely own my own I would bow and treat him with respect, but I would not kiss his ring or express devotion to or subjection to him. Now if I was there as a representative of a church or local government or association I might feel unable to bow because my actions would speak for others as well as myself.

If I could have a one on one conversation with him I would have to really pray about it ahead of time. Does he speak English? I would probably ask him something about himself and how he feels about the position men have put him in. Others treat him like his is so great, but how does he feel about himself.

There has been very little media coverage here in NC. But then I am not a media hound. I trust the News forum on the BB to keep me up to date:laugh:

nunatak, you bring up a good point. Of course there was no pope when Paul was alive. I think most early Christians would be horrified at the glory we lavish on men wither it is the pope or whoever.

16. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

Sure I would like to talk to him. He is a political power in the world today it would be great to pick his brain.

17. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bow to him. I am not sure what circumstance would surround my meeting him. He is figure head of one of the most anti-christian groups around. I wouldn't welcome the man in my home.

I would welcome the chance to testify of the Gospel of grace to him though.

18. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I would have no interest in seeing him in any way like a fan peering at him, or some formal progression just to say hello. If however I could sit down and talk with him for a visit, then I most definitely would take the opportunity. I wouldn't bow, kneel or kiss before him. A hearty hand shake would have to do.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

My sentiments exactly.

It is a false, works based religion.

My husband was raised Catholic and it really messed him up. He is saved now, but it took a long time to put all that "teaching" behind him.

20. BaptistBarb

BaptistBarb New Member

way too much media stuff for me, but I would like to meet him