1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Postincarnate Christ

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Aug 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that we Christians – like everyone else – have a hard time of thinking outside the box, so to speak. Or outside the body, I should say. It is hard to see beyond our own frame of reference. However I do not think that the body that Christ showed immediately post-resurrection is the same body He had – has now – post ascension. I think the locked door encounter, John 20:24-29, was still part of His Incarnational mission, the “days of His flesh”, as Hebrews 5:7 puts it. I think there is a hint of this also in 1 Tim. 3:16 (ESV)

“Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of godliness:
    He was manifested in the flesh,
    vindicated by the Spirit,
    seen by angels,
    proclaimed among the nations,
    believed on in the world,
    taken up in glory.”

These are all in the past tense, or at least, because the last of the six events is clearly in the past the preceding five ought to refer to events before it.

In the light of Hebrews 2:14 I am convinced that Christ being in the flesh was mission-specific. I do not believe that Christ is flesh and blood now. The purpose for that, according to Scripture, is long gone.

“Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil,”

He became flesh and blood - and suffered in His flesh and shed His blood. I doubt we can fathom the depths of what He did to rescue us and to destroy the one who had the power of death.

However some people assert that Christ is flesh and blood now because of 1 Tim. 2:5

“For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus (ἄνθρωπος Χριστὸς Ἰησοῦς),”

But this does not prove that Christ is flesh and blood, but that He is the God-Man.

And this begs the question: What does it mean to be human? Is flesh and blood required for that? I do not think so. If it were, then my Christian father ceased to be human five years ago when he died. And all the saints who died in Christ also lost their humanity. But I cannot accept this. I believe, rather, that they joined “the spirits of just men made perfect”, Heb. 12:23.

Our goal is to be like Christ, Christlikeness, not that the Second Person of the Godhead should from the time of His incarnation onward stay flesh and blood. Scripture has no proof of this.

2. ThyWordIsTruth

Faith:
    Baptist
    Firstly, I would like to say that the ESV and almost every modren version of the Bible, has 1 Timothy 3:16, wrong. As shown by the great textual scholar, John Burgon, and others, and from my own personal textual studies, the Apostle Paul wrote, "θεος εφανερωθη εν σαρκι", that is "GOD was manifested in the flesh". This was corrupted by deniers of the Deity of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Secondly, it is evident that the "essential body" of the Lord Jesus was "transformed" after His Resurrection. The Apostle Mark says this in his Gospel, "After that, He appeared in another form to two of them as they walked and went into the country" (16:12). The English word "form" here, like that in Philippians 2:6-7, does not refer to the "outward appearance", but, to the "essential being". The Greek word "μορφη" is so used by ancient Greek writers. Also, it sould be noted from the passage in Luke's Gospel, which is also about the two who walked with Jesus, that, "But their eyes were restrained, so that they did not know Him" (Luke 24:16). If "μορφη" here referred to the "outward appearance", then there would have been no need for God to "restrain" the eyes of these two, so that they would not "recognize" Jesus. In verse 31 we read, "Then their eyes were opened and they knew Him; and He vanished from their sight". Post Resurrection Jesus could walk through closed doors, appear and then disappear. Which His body could not do before. Also, in Luke we read, "Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.” (24:39). Note Jesus says "flesh and bones" and not "flesh and blood". His body had "essentially changed".

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea what your point in the first paragraph is. Whether we explicitly read "He" or "God" the point is the same. Or do you imagine that I am denying the deity of Christ? Or that I deny that God was manifest in the flesh?

And, yes, to all of what you wrote afterward, I am still not sure of where you think the point of difference is from what I wrote. However you did not seem to notice my comment that the pre-ascension Christ is not the same as the post-ascension Christ.

4. ThyWordIsTruth

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greetings, I was making the point that most of the modren versions have removed "God" and replaced it with "Who", or "He Who", etc. Not what you believe, which I don't know. You quoted from the ESV, so I made this important point. I was also referring to Jesus' post-Resurrection "body", which is the same as His post-Ascension, which is not the same as His Incarnate body till His death.

5. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for clarifying. I see that we do disagree on the type of body that Christ has now. I assume you believe that the resurrected Christ has flesh, which I do not believe - based on the verses in my OP.

6. ThyWordIsTruth

Faith:
    Baptist
    So how to you answer Luke?

"Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.” (24:39)"

This is after the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, and it is very clear that Jesus Christ did have a body of flesh. To deny this is to question the Authority of Scripture

7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus took on humanity forever.

Denying that fact is a very old heresy.

peace to you

8. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please read my comment more carefully. I am not denying anything of what you wrote on this post.

9. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is The Son of Man, yes. That does not equate to having flesh and blood. See my OP again. I quote Scripture. You are based on tradition. Tradition often "makes the Word of God of no effect". Mark 7:13.

10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn’t say anything about “flesh and blood” I said Jesus took on humanity forever. If you are denying that, you are repeating a very old heresy.

The mystery of the nature of the resurrected body of Christ (and of His saints) has long been debated. Even Paul spoke of the controversy.

If any argument denies Jesus took on humanity forever, then you have crossed the boundary into heresy.

peace to you

11. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I cannot make you read my OP more carefully. You interacted with none of the verses I provided. Your assertions have no teeth because you have no Scripture.

12. ThyWordIsTruth

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is exactly what you wrote

"I assume you believe that the resurrected Christ has flesh, which I do not believe"

It states that you do not believe that the body of the Ressurected Jesus Christ has "flesh". I have shown from Luke 24:39, that Jesus Himself says that He DID have FLESH after His Resurrection, before His Ascension. So, either the Bible is wrong, or you are? There are no other ways to read what you replied to me.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Modern translations such as the nas and esv do NOT deny the Deity of Jesus!
    Would also state here that the glorified body of Jesus was the very same on that he died in, as God raised Him up as the very pattern of what we will all have in the Second Coming.
    Our friend here posting is a full blown preterist, so he would need to see the physical resurrection as now merely a spiritual resurrection for the rest of us!
    We will have a spiritual body, not a physically resurrected one!

14. ThyWordIsTruth

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not saying that modern versions deny the Deity of Jesus Christ, but that there are verses, like 1 Timothy 3:16; John 3:13; Acts 20:28, where the Deity of Jesus has been removed in some of these versions. As has the very clear teaching on the Holy Trinity, in 1 John 5:7, also been removed.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May I take this to mean that you are a KJVO person then?

16. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acknowledged.
    With that, I would counter with "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof."

The Scripture you have provided are as follows:
    Setting aside any LOGIC contained in your commentary, nothing in any of these verses and partial verses even comes close to suggesting that the body Jesus had when He challenged Thomas to touch His side and His hands was transformed at His ascension. Therefore you have presented nothing more than unsupported conjecture.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is presenting to us what preterism demands, no physical resurrection of the body, but a spiritual one!

18. ThyWordIsTruth

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't even have a copy of the KJV any more. I use the NKJV, HCSB, ESV, NIV (1984) and NLT. The textual evidence for the passages I have given, are in no doubt that the KJV and others are 100% right. This I have done as my own research and not simply following others.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, so you would be in agreement with using the TR text then, and not the Critical text?

20. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ouch! You are so right. My big mistake here. I mistyped.

It should read:
    "I assume you believe that the post-ascension Christ has flesh, which I do not believe"

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.