1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayers that are not prayers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The biggest problem I have is when reverence is taken out of public prayer.

I think that is taking God's name vainly and could be called blasphemy.

2. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Well, some of this is a lack of sensitivity to the awesome holiness of God and just being aware that we, when praying are actually speaking to Him, an all powerful, all knowing deity!
    John Bunyan wrote a marvelous book, Prayer, and really describes not only how to feel, think and address our God but the main purpose of the book is to refute form prayers and humble ourself before Whom we speak! We did a study on this book and its benefits are long lasting! I see a difference in the praying in our church following this study.

A similar pet peeve of mine has always been that when someone begins to pray, either following the sermon, before the offering or for dismissal, if seems to be a summons to activation for many. Thats when all who want to change their location, leave or whatever, rise and become mobile! I especially dislike it when the ushers are filing down the aisle while prayer is being said! Why cant we all just humbly honor in reverence a most holy and awesome God who daily showers us with His grace and mercy!!

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Are you saying this type of prayer is more effective than perhaps doing things in a completly Biblical way?

4. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Darned if you do, and darned if you don't! [​IMG]

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When a man has spent time with God in the closet you will know it in public.

6. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A man is what he is on his knees before God, and nothing more[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ROBERT MURRAY M'CHEYNE[/FONT]​

7. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member