1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pre-Evangelism?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Calminian, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's very possible Luke did not record everything Paul said. But they were close friends, so I have to wonder. Had Paul mentioned the cross, dying for our sins, forgiveness, it's hard to imagine he would not give that testimony to Luke and Luke would not have recorded it.

Paul preached the cross to those who would hear. He also brushed off his feet when they would not hear. When he laid the foundation of the gospel with the bad news, the greeks scoffed, and Paul moved on from them. The others said they would hear more, but this was said after he departed.

This to me sounds like the message of Romans 1. Paul warned them of God's existence, of their sin, and the coming judgment. He seemed to reiterate things they knew innately. Thus he rendered them without excuse. He also prompted others to seek and hear more.

#21 Calminian, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some believed:

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, if by that we mean prayers are being sent up to God to move and save amiong the lost before message is put out!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Calminian

Site Supporter

In context.

Acts 17:32 When they heard about the resurrection of the dead, some of them sneered, but others said, “We want to hear you again on this subject.” 33 At that, Paul left the Council. 34 Some of the people became followers of Paul and believed.
    Yes, some were intrigued by the idea that God resurrected a man who was appointed by God to judge the world. Others did not, as this collided with their human wisdom. Those who wanted to hear more followed after Paul and became Christians.

Bad news > sneering > unbelief

Bad news > desire to hear more > follow > hear more > believe.

What am I missing?

5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what you are missing. Originally I thought it sounded as if you were saying that all scoffed and rejected.

6. Calminian

Site Supporter

Nope. Never said that.

My point is that the gospel was not preached on Mars Hill. Only the bad news. Those who ended up believing wanted to hear more and followed Paul.

7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The version you quote from above says he had previously preached the good news before being brought to Mars Hill:

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Calminian

Site Supporter

Absolutely. It was Paul's preaching of the good news in Athens in the synagogs that earned him a platform. Notice how Luke described Paul's initial audience.

Acts 17:16 While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. 17 So he reasoned in the synagoguea with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there.​

Paul spoke the good news to the God-fearing jews and greeks. Then he was invited to meet the big boys on the hill—the giants of human wisdom. That's when it gets interesting. To them, he preached the bad news. He preached Romans 1, in essence. He preached the fear of God. And then he added the coming judgment of the resurrected Christ. That's the part that really fascinates me. He didn't preach Jesus the lamb, but rather Jesus the lion.

9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul's preaching in Athens was in two places: (1) in the synagogue to Jews and other worshipping persons, and (2) in the marketplace to whoever happened to be there and would listen. His preaching of the good news was not limited to Jews and God-fearing Greeks. He preached it to others in the marketplace. It is there that the philosophers encountered him preaching the good news (vs. 17-18). They heard it and that is why they invited him to Mars Hill. I mention this in regard to the point about pre-evangelism. Rather than this setting the stage with the bad news before preaching the good news, he had already been preaching the good news and now gave them some bad news to go with it!

It is my opinion, probably not worth enough to buy a regular cup of coffee, that Paul probably didn't actually finish -- that the mockery and jeering (v. 32) broke up the gathering and his sermon. It seems unlikely to me that he didn't intend to get back around to explaining what they had heard in the marketplace.

10. Calminian

Site Supporter

I disagree, your opinion and input is good and helpful, and you're reasoning from Scripture. Much more beneficial than coffee. I did notice the same thing, that he preached in the marketplace in addition to the synagogs in Athens. I'll dig into this a little deeper, in a bit, but good points. I do appreciate the input.

11. Calminian

Site Supporter

I think we're in agreement. I don't believe preaching the bad news is enough. You have to get to the good news, and I believe that was always Paul's goal. Jesus said Moses wrote about Him! And if they would not listen to Moses, they would not listen to even One risen from the dead.

So I think you're right, he was going to get to the good news, the Cross, the forgiveness of sins, but once they rejected the idea of a resurrection, he saw no point in going forward.

And yes, the clear indication of verse 17 is that Paul preached to both the God-fearing in the synagogs and the non-fearing in the marketplace.

17 So he reasoned in the synagogue with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there.​

I think the marketplace had a be a mixed bag of mostly non-worshipers. We're not told specifically what message he preached only that he reasoned and from what we know about Paul he certainly reasoned from Scripture.

My ideas is simply this. When speaking to the God-fearing he started with the good news. When speaking to the non-God-fearing he started with the bad news with the intention of ultimately getting to the good news.

Don't know if you agree with that or not, but that's my take at this point.

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calminian, I don't think there is much difference in what we are saying -- maybe mostly in the way we are saying it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [1Co 3:4-9 KJV] 4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I [am] of Apollos; are ye not carnal? 5 Who then is Paul, and who [is] Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. 8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. 9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [ye are] God's building.

14. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about a ministry of “shaking off the dust”. You go door to door, like a JW or a census worker and ask “So do you want to know the truth about Jesus or not. Make up your mind, because I don’t have all day to waste on people who think that everything is ‘fine’ and are content to go to Hell.” If they slam the door or say they don’t want to talk to you, then you can just shake the dust off and move on.

We really need to quit begging people to let us help them. If they are not interested in Jesus, then don’t let the door hit them on the way out (if you know what I mean). ;)

15. Calminian

Site Supporter

I agree in part. Paul preached some very bad news on Mars Hill and then up and left. "You want to hear the rest, come and fine me."

Not sure about the "So do you want to know the truth about Jesus or not..." approach. But in principle I agree.