1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pre-Marital Counseling Practices

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by GBC Pastor, Feb 23, 2010.

1. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

Many pastors I know have a wide array of views on this subject. Some require no pre-marital counseling, and one I know very well requires a ten week course. I was wondering what your particular practice was? Length of time? What kind of program do you use? Etc...

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We require premarital counseling and our program is 6 meetings. We usually set it up with the couple when they arrange the wedding at the church and we have about 8 couples who are trained to do it. We made up our own materials except we do use the Taylor-Johnson Temperment Analysis with the couple. With the TJTA, each person does the assessment for themselves and then does it again for how they think their fiancee would answer it. It then puts it all together for a very good opportunity for discussion. :) The premarital counseling is always done by a couple because for the last session, we break out into men and women to talk about intimate issues and it's just much more comfortable that way. Besides, a married couple can best counsel a married couple, IMO.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We require a 4 week premarital counseling with the first session to decide if I can do the wedding. (By the way, I reserve the right at any point in the counseling to say no if circumstances warrant it). The next 3 deal with finances, how to have a fair fight and little stuff that doesn't fit into any real category.

We rarely do marriages of non-church attenders but if they ask, i talk to them about salvation. If they don't attend, they must start attending our church until they marry. If they are living together, we ask (demand) that they get married immediately or separate until their wedding.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

In TN, the state requires PMC or you pay double for your marriage license. It is one of the worst laws ever passed. Now, anyone with a broom can do PMC, and everyone with a broom wants you to sign their form saying they've had it even though they haven't.

I do a minimum of 5 hours, and I reserve the right not to do the ceremony up to the end of the ceremony. I ask for the license at the end of the 4th session. Sometimes, there's info on the license in this state that would be disclosed that some dishonest folks have yet to disclose.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We too have a state licensed/accredited program that lowers marriage license cost. The best part about it is that it is a HUGE front door ministry for us.

I teach the class, with Mrs PJ, and we use an in house 6 week curriculum that covers topics like: God's reason for marriage, gender roles, finances (we have a financial professional talk with them), conflict resolution, how to lead a family spiritually (for men to know and women to hear), and we go through a personality assessment and give them results and how to understand each other.

We use a highly integrated media presentation and try to keep it conversational. Its just a great time. We offer it three times a year and every class is packed.

We then help assimilate these people into our group life. :)

As a minister I ask the couple for a meeting ahead of time, then ask if they are planning doing a premarital counseling course, and go over some specifics about our standards at our church.