1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pre-Tribulational Rapture

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Edward 1689er, Nov 19, 2009.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Why Amy.G, you are never wrong are you?:tonofbricks:

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Never. See my halo? ----------> :saint:

:1_grouphug:

3. OldRegular

See mine!:tonofbricks:

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Edward,
    First of all, sorry for the derailment.

I am pre-trib, but can see the view others have about eschatology. But for me the strongest argument is that Paul expected to be "caught up" in his life time.

But like I said, other views can point to other verses to support their position. My point when I preach or teach this is what we are expected to be and do because the Lord is coming back. We seem to spend so much time debating positions that we don't actually obey what the Bible says about the coming of the Lord.

5. AnotherBaptist

AnotherBaptist New Member

My first post here and it's going to be about the pre-trib rapture? In hindsight, I'm sure I will wish I quit while I was ahead. :laugh:

To answer your question, I believe Pauline theology as a whole is the best argument for a pre-trib rapture. As the poster above said, Paul expected to go from his "earthly tent" directly to his heavenly body during his lifetime without experiencing the "nakedness" of the soul without a body (2 Cor 5). Good enough for me.

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking as a layman that takes the Word very literally, I can see many scriptures that support most any view of the end times depending on:
    1 How literal you accept the word as written.
    2 How much you ascribe to the context of any given scripture.
    3 How relevant you consider "contrary" scripture with supporting scripture, taking into account the over-all word as truth; IE no contradictions.

As I said, I take the word very literal except where common sense, context, and/or direct command dictate otherwise. IOW, I don't just automatically assume non-literal when the only reason would be because I don't understand it.

With this in mind, and the three criteria mentioned above, I believe in pre-trib, pre-mil, simply because, IMHO, this best satisfies the overall interpretation.

If you feel otherwise, have at it! I certainly will not consider you less of a Christian because you don't agree with me; 'cause I have never seen belief in these events as a requisite for salvation.

All I ask is the same consideration!

7. OldRegular

That certainly is not an argument for pre-trib since when Jesus Christ returns those Saints still living will be caught up and all be changed in a moment in the twinkling of an eye. [1 Corinthians 15:51, 52]

8. OldRegular

Frankly, as I stated above that is a poor excuse but to each his own!

9. OldRegular

How literal do you take John 5:28, 29?

10. OldRegular

Tom

When was the last time I accused you of heresy?

11. OldRegular

A whole week and no response?

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Just curious how you came to this conclusion. If it was from reading Paul's letter, does that mean Paul wrote in error, since it turned out he was wrong?

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not following how your conclusion came from Tom Bryant's :confused:

14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a pretriber I just can't help but believe scripture. Paul said ;

1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
    Only makes sense that if Christ is bringing these sleeping saints when the rapture happens. That the first ressurection of saints is happening at the same time. Then we which remain are caught up to meet them in the air. What may I ask would be the sense of going up in to the air to meet them if we would only come back down right a way to rule with Christ. The rapture cannot be the second coming at the same time because Paul also said. Christ would return with all His saints. He can't do that if all his saints aren't with Him.1Th 3:13 To the end he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints.
    MB

15. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom,
    I don't think he was in error as in errors in the Bible because there aren't any. It is just that he believed he would go up in the rapture during his life.

I understand that this might not satisfy the question. But probably most every view of the coming of Christ has some view of his imminent return.

16. OldRegular

I believe that a study of the New Testament will show that an attitude of expectancy regarding the return of the Lord Jesus Christ is a recurrent theme throughout. For those who believe in the inerrancy of Scripture there can be no question as to error or delusion on the part of the writers. Our Lord Himself, before His crucifixion, warned His disciples: Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh. [Matthew 24:44].

17. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is a sense, in the epistolary literature of the NT, that Christ would usher in the eschaton before many of them died.

As one reads Paul's letters chronologically, there is a sense that earlier on in his ministry the eschatological expectation was higher than towards the end. (Before anyone over reacts this isn't to say Paul was error laden in his writings.)

Honestly, unless you are amillenial there is a tendency to believe that Christ will return before each of us die. I remember hearing Dr. Jerry Falwell talk about how he was convinced Christ was returning before he died...well, I keep hearing this. I am more and more convinced that we are looking at many generations before Christ returns.

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you've over looked the part of being ready. We convince our selves that He could come at any moment so that we would be ready. In other words living with the expectation of being raptured at any moment causes us to live a more Godly life. How else would you suggest to stay ready as the story of the virgins, 5 were and 5 were not. Those who were not ready were left behind.

MB

19. OldRegular

Does that mean if we do not believe the dispensational error and, therefore, don't believe in the so-called rapture we will not live Godly lives?

It seems to me that having experienced the Grace of God in Salvation is incentive enough to live God lives. In any event we are all subject to meet God through death at any moment!

20. OldRegular

I believe that many people accept the so-called rapture because they believe they will escape death!