1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preacher's Sermon On Nudity Question?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Frenchy, Apr 6, 2006.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Shiloh,

You've made two errors in this thread:
    (1) Insulting other posters;
    (2) Assuming that your cultural experience is universal. There are places in Africa where women routinely go topless, but it is bad taste to show the knees. Hand signals that mean "OK" in USA are vulgar in other countries.

You are commenting on a culture which you know nothing about, and dealing with an issue that is not directly scriptural in nature.

Please.

2. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Shiloh,

Is it possible for you to use the "quote" function when quoting a post or do you not have that option? Makes it easier to follow.

3. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Shiloh, learn how to use the quote function, please.

You don't speak for all preachers. You may get "bothered" by a woman nursing her child, but not all preachers have a fancy for such things.

4. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Why would you want to follow me?
    Seems I am the only one here that has to walk on egg shells. I can be mocked and ridiculed, open season on shiloh! All I am doing is giving you people my opinion. I am against most everything the majority on here condones so I'll take it on the chin. I'v been down the road too far to be suprised by liberal "baptist". There are a few out there like me [​IMG] you people will just either ban me or tolerate me! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

So what have we learned here about Shiloh?

1. Nursing babies gets him bothered.
    2. Women having seizures, wiggling their dress up, bothers him.

What kind of fella would entertain wrong thoughts during any one of these moments??? [​IMG]

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Shiloh,

Was it your opinion that Mexdeaf was either a woman or gay? (If not, then reword, because that's what you insinuated)

Was it your opinion that Scarlett was stupid, or had a stupid opinion? (If not, reword, because that's what you insinuated)

Was it your opinion that MexDeaf is not a man of God just because he kept preaching in a situation you wouldn't have? (If not, reword, because that's what you insinuated)

Just because you are "giving us your opinions" doesn't allow you to cross lines of civility and decorum.

Furthermore...it is possible...so I've been told...to have an opinion that's wrong every once in a while. :D

And I think that folks that spelled "S T U P I D" with your moniker should apologize to you as well.

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Shiloh,

I am appaled that you, a pastor, would make the insults you did in this thread on public. Take heed to what Paul told Timothy:

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous;

I think that others on here who have resorted of name calling need to apologize as well. This kind of behavior is uncalled for and un-Christ-like.

8. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

OK back to the topic at hand, still not getting any solid answers to how a missionary family deals with such nudity of the natives. i know the natives are not saved and don't know any better. my question is how are "godly" people and their families (children) effected by this? we are told by some, if we watch too much TV or movies we are exposed to sin and that it is wrong. now how is that different than being exposed to naked people if we lived around them all the time. And see them having you know what in the open or where ever these missionaries saw them. (remember my example of missionaries teaching another way, ie missionary stye)?

9. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Questions Questions Questions Man, can't some of you people read? I have made my position quite clear. I am not going to change it because you don't agree with me. If you don't understand what I wrote.....read it again.
    2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
    2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
    Paul wrote this also.....here it is in the KJV I might add!
    I told you that what I write is my opinion. Whether it is right/wrong or whatever it is my opinion. Maybe you people need to understand that also. Do you think it might be possible that you are not always right....perish the thought.
    Obviously an opinionated Baptist preacher is hard for a lot of you folks to understand. I have convictions based on the Word of God that you are NOT going to change. I [​IMG] you all...even if most of the time you are wrong. Cheers! [​IMG]

10. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Gershom wrote
    Careful i was chastened severly for correcting a posters spelling since it was hard to follow her post. ;)

11. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Condescending remarks, followed by passive-aggressive comments. Sad, especially coming from a pastor.

12. macitruth

macitruth New Member

Shiloh, do you think that it is possible that sometimes you are a little bit hasty with your judgements?

13. kornfucious

kornfucious New Member

I have no problem believing that mexdeaf did not notice the breastfeeding incident.
    I had something similar happen on a mission trip to Venezuela. We helped to build a church south of Valencia and went down last year to put the final touch to the building. The men in our group took different nights teaching and/or preaching. The services were held in the late afternoon, but before dark. The church had no air-conditioning, but had hugh windows that remained open, during the service, for ventilation. One evening while the service was in progress, I walked around the outside taking photos of the the church and a group of kids sitting around outside having devotion. Sitting on the window sill, turned slightly toward me, listening to the preaching, was a lady holding a young child. I took a picture of her as I passed and she smiled and I thought no more of it until we got back to our camp and we were looking through the photos I had taken earlier. As we scrolled thru the photos we went past the one of the lady in the window. One of the guys said "go back" and sure enough the lady was breastfeeding. I immediately deleted the photo, and took some good-natured kidding about the whole incident. I can assure you that I did not notice, even after seeing the photo, until it was spotted.
    And BTW Shiloh, I am neither a women nor gay..........

14. kornfucious

kornfucious New Member

15. macitruth

macitruth New Member

I would think that for the missionaries it probably takes a toll on a lot of them to be exposed to such things, but I know that if they are called by God to serve in that atmosphere, then he will be faithful to walk with them. There is no doubt in my mind that they must be filled with the spirit to keep their focus the way it needs to be. As for their children, it's in some ways similar to the way it is here... we are living in a culture that is becoming more and more morally bankrupt. I am sure they have to teach their children what God says is right and help them to live in his ways in the midst of their culture, just like we do just different issues.

16. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um, Frenchy, I gave you one missionary's view and you never interacted with me. Of course in the meantime, when I woke up this morning there wre over 50 replies to your thread, with virtually nothing responding to the OP! :rolleyes:

17. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

I am SO sorry John you are right you did! thank you, I got so caught up with the nonsense that followed, from what i remember you did a great job. i will go back and read it again to refresh my memory.

macitruth thank you too for your response very good thoughts.

Keep me on my toes guys getting older and am forgetting more [​IMG]

18. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Frenchy, the questions you are asking here (about intercourse and the missionary style) are not suitable for discussion in an open public forum where children visit. If you want to talk about these issues do so in the Private Women's Forum. I will not give you another warning. Any further posts directed toward these issue will be deleted.

19. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hello Shiloh,

You are free to share your opinions. However, BB Posting Rule 3 states that you are to show grace to your fellow posters. In this thread you have utterly failed to abide by that rule. Likewise, the Word tells us that we are to speak the truth in love (Eph 4:15). I am afraid that you failed to do so when you called a fellow Christian STUPID (or referred to her opinion as such), and when you implied that a faithful male Baptist Missionary was either a woman or at the very least effeminate. Likewise, BB Posting Rule 4 states that personal attacks will not be tolerated. Calling a fellow poster stupid is a personal attack. You need to cool your rhetoric, discuss the issues, and stop throwing out personal attacks and insults against those who hold the opposing view.

Yours in Christ,

Bible-Boy,
    Forum Moderator

20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wise words from Bible-boy.

I want to take a moment here to stand up for my brother missionary, Mexdeaf. I absolutely believe everything he wrote. And if anyone reading this thinks that there is any other way to resist temptation than by walking in the Spirit, you are headed for a fall, like the ex-missionaries I mentioned in my opening post.

Standards are important, but they are to keep us from temptation, not from sin. It would be pretty silly to be praying, "Lead me not into temptation," as Jesus taught us to, and then deliberately seek it out. However, when temptation comes in spite of our efforts, such as when we run into heathen customs on the mission field, the Holy Spirit is entirely able to keep us from sinning.

We missionaries run into difficulties all the time unimagined by you folk in the homeland. For example, along with another missionary, I once had to stop a Japanese woman from worshipping us! The folk in the homeland need to be praying for us rather than increasing ignorance.