1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preacher's Sermon On Nudity Question?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Frenchy, Apr 6, 2006.

1. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I do believe that John of Japan's very first post to you was an excellent answer to your initial question. In short, yes, sometimes a missionary will become tempted and fall due to the heathen culture around him.....is this not the same thing that happens in America far too often? However, the same steps that we take here in the States to keep ourselves from temptation are the same ones we will use on the mission field.

You might say, "Well, the women here in America don't have a culture of walking around nekkid". Have you been to the mall lately? Or any beach in any of the coastal states? Much of the time the attire in America may as well be gone altogether for all it hides.....and preachers here have to deal with seeing it walk into their services all the time. What do they do? How do we here keep our families safe? We try to minimize the impact, give them instruction and training, and yes, AVOID the places where we KNOW these sorts of things will be more prevalent.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's going on? What have I missed?

Did someone call me stupid??

Oh, well...I have definitely been called worse than that over my 44 years and lived to tell about it.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good testimony, relevant to the OP, and a wonderful website, kornfucious! I love the song and the pictures. Praise the Lord for your opportunity to serve God in S. America and learn what missions is really all about!

By the way, does "kornfucious" mean anything other than corny, or are you thinking of my part of the world? :D ;)

4. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Careful i was chastened severly for correcting a posters spelling since it was hard to follow her post. ;) </font>[/QUOTE];)

5. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Sorry Bible-Boy i was trying to be as descrete as possible. I understand what you are saying bapmom. i think it was said best and I believe also that the parents try and teach their children what is right and wrong like we do at home, since our kids are going to see stuff that isn't appropiate. and i also think after awhile it becomes normal and no one gives it a second thought to the way people are dressed. i would think there is quite a differnce between the way women look here and the way they look there. what is attracive here may not be the same there. know what i mean ;)

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

Yea, like C..A..T..L..O..V..E..R :rolleyes:

7. kornfucious

kornfucious New Member

John, Thanks for the kind words. I was totally blessed from the trip and came back richer, wiser and humbled from the experience.

As for the name. I worked in radio in the early 70's. Two of the other D.J's and myself would leave each other notes full of wisdom and cornball humor. The other guys signed theirs Wilhelm and Wolfgang. I came up with the name Kornfucious, which I though appropriate given the contents of the writings.
    John, again thanks for the word of encouragement.

Grace and Peace through our Lord Jesus Christ.

8. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

It is okay. However, as discrete as you may be, if people begin to answer your questions who knows what kind of graphic answers may be posted here in an open public forum. Therefore, the Webmaster has made it BB policy to restrict all such topics to either the Private Men's or Women's Fora.

9. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

I see where you are comming from no problem, pm's are welcomed. how does one get on the private forum. not sure i would be welcomed on the womens one. can i join the mens?

10. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

You have to PM the Private forum Moderator or Administrator and ask them to admit you to the forum. Then you either get a password or your profile is marked somehow in order to allow you access. Women only in the Women's Private Forum and Men only in the Men's Private Forum.

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Frenchy,

Im not sure what you are thinking the mission field in general is like.....but there have been a few advances over the last coupla years. On the whole, there are no longer many tribes running around with no clothing on. Granted, there are some, but we have some here in America, too.

If a Christian ALLOWS himself to become tolerant of wrong things, than yes, he will get "used to it." But modesty transcends differences in culture. It is not just a case of "well, they look different than we do here." In the vast majority of the world, I daresay they dress MORE modestly than we tend to here in America. I say that we Christians here are the ones who have just learned to tolerate too much. (NOt talking about taking up arms or anything, just what we tolerate in our own lives.)

12. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I certainly believe MexDeaf preached a sermon and didn't notice any number of things. I taught an entire algebra lesson once and had a kid spit tobacco juice in the corner and I didn't notice. It was years ago when I was a new teacher, but I'm still amazed when I think back on it that i didn't know what he was doing. Talk about disgusting! (I did make him come back and clean it up btw.)

13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, let's just say that a hypothetical male missionary did notice a woman in another culture breasting feeding in a preaching service.

I do not believe that simply because he is a man that he is automatically unable to continue preaching with taking his eyes off of her or of thinking impure thoughts about her.

I have said before in another thread that men are "visual creatures". But that does not make them blithering idiots, unable to focus on benign tasks or spiritual tasks.

Sure, it will take him "aback"...possible startle him.

But to say that his preaching becomes ineffective is tragic.

If a preacher is so easily sexually aroused or sexually "disturbed" by women to the point that in this hypothetical instance, he could not preach effectively anymore, then I would submit that it wouldn't take a breast-feeding woman to put him in that state of mind.

Any woman, clothed or unclothed, that he found physically attractive would make him an ineffective man for the Lord.

Yes, people should be clothed modestly at all times.

But, they aren't...

...and a missionary's preaching shouldn't suffer for it.

If we waited for the world to become moral and righteous before we preached to them, then there would be no preaching.

14. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

bapmom, why do we have to look at today's mission field to answer my question? the same principle applies yesterday today and tomorrow.
    the real issue was this preacher Sanderson's idea that nakedness was considered showing ones thigh, mens chest and the obvious? he made a big deal out of NOTHING!

I just think God is bigger than we give him credit for, to handle many issues. i think too many times we make mountains out of molehills.

[ April 07, 2006, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

15. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Why does this answer always involve a pastor "preaching" and seeing a naked women? I am talking about EVERYDAY life walking around interacting with these people. must have been hard at first to deal with people hardly dressed if at all and the issues and problems it caused. our TV's and movies would be considered tame compared to that.

what got me thinking about this was the documentary of the missionaries who's husbands all died and the women continued to reach out and live with these people back in the 50's. these natives were not only brutal but very naked! they even made a movie about it the name i can't remember. "END OF THE SPEAR" i think.

16. Salamander

Salamander New Member

According to the Bible, showing the thigh is nakedness. Now if you want to delegate authority over the Bible due to cultural change, then be advised, that is not according to the will of God.

Man as a whole fits this description: evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse.

It's just as wrong for a man to be bare chested as a woman, though not for the same reason considering the use of the woman, but we live in a day of rampant behaviour of sodomy. Why even women are "turned on" by bare chested men, so how is it anyone can deduce it to be acceptable?

God has already handled the issue: anything that allures towards the flesh is ungodly, the flesh is at enmity with God. What else is there left to figure out about that?

17. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

I personally am turned on by feet :rolleyes:

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

In Queen Victoria's day women had to have their ankles covered. It was a mark of shame and impropriety if they didn't.
    Come to think of it that wouldn't be a bad standard for today either. [​IMG]
    DHK

19. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Yes but does the bible say to cover ankles?

20. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Salamander said:

According to the Bible, showing the thigh is nakedness.

Depends on how you read it. Carelessly, then you're right.