1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Preaching Quirks

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Reformed, Jul 7, 2014.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Screaming and yelling while preaching as if it adds weight or makes as if they have really 'preached'.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Welcome back Brother,

May the Lord be gracious in allowing you the grace to adjust to this season of your lives together. Through this afflication you have already had opportunites to interact with people you might have never seen before...health care persons and other patients;
    3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;

4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

speaking to the OP.....how about fundamentalists who constantly speak about themselves in the third person...

you will say to me.....preacher

and the man said ...preacher

#22 Iconoclast, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
  3. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

I pastored (or pestered) a church for about a year. (crash an burn experience. A completely different story) I had breakfast with a friend who said that he will occasionally refer to himself in third person: "If you want pastor Todd's opinion ...". To which I responded "Pastor John doesn't like using third person".
    Can you believe he laughed at me. Such friends if have. :laugh:

4. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

I've only seen myself on video twice. Both times were in my sermon prep and delivery class. I didn't notice too many issues but then I was really concentrating on my delivery.

I do know that I tend to move back and forth in a space of about 3 feet. I'm surprised that they don't put me on a lapel mike. I'm not normally nervous any more. I guess it is just a habit.
    Once, I fell in mid sermon (bad knees). For the next sermon, I had a stool to sit on. At least I didn't pace back and forth.

#24 Carolina Baptist, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
  5. thisnumbersdisconnected

Better his eyes are closed than he looks straight at me when he's getting to the most convicting part of his sermon! :laugh:

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've spoken in many churches, one had a very wide platform and the pulpit was at the back. I had been there many times and always walked up to the front of the platform to make some points, then return to the pulpit to look at my notes. I'd do this several times in a sermon. I had not noticed before but as I approached the front one morning everyone's eyes were on my feet wondering if I would overstep and fall off.

I altered my norm and stopped a step or two short of the edge.