1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Preaching the Gospel to the Humble, the Law to the Proud???

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JonC, Aug 7, 2017.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a past discussion I was told we should preach the Law to the proud. I do not want people believing this to be evangelism (I've witnessed street preachers preaching against sin...e.g., "Pot smokers go to Hell"). I'm not saying this is WOTM, but I do believe it is wrong to preach the Law (we preach Christ, and His gospel is obedience to God's law).

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree, the law can be a tool to show people they have a need to receive the grace of God. It is part of the gospel it is not separate.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless you are saying we are called to proclaim the Law to the lost I am not sure we disagree. Knowing about our sinfulness is a part of the gospel. Putting people under the Mosaic Law is not.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok but using the Ten commandments is a perfectly legitimate way to show people their lostness.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely it is.

But WOTM is wrong to claim those who realized their sin without using the 10 Comments are most likely false converts. You don't have to be brought under the Law of Moses to be saved.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His postion though seems to be that unless one preaches first the Law, then the Gospel has little effect on the sinner, as the law must be used to bring them conviction and show them they are lost sinners.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He does hold that one must gety the law before the Gospel in order to have real salvation though, correct?

• Like Like x 2