1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Preaching vs Teaching

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Jul 21, 2014.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a teacher but have preached about as much as I've taught. My mental make up requires me to type it all out word for word then I go over it a number of times before the presentation. I prepare for both about the same, though with teaching I often add overhead graphics.

When teaching I present info/ask questions and allow discussion. When preaching I have allowed questions and asked question and find that the congregation loves it.

Since everything is down word for word I make it available in digital format so my inability to work from an outline or simple notes has its advantages.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That has been my experience...although our pastor does go into depth with Scripture the pulpit does not afford the venue for discussion and exploring Scripture in depth as a group.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

It depends. A good preacher preaching expository sermons can probably do a better job than an adult Bible study. This is particularly true if the adult Bible study uses the worthless SBC SS Literature.

Incidentally Mohler in his book He Is Not Silent states, page 49: I believe that the only form of authentic Christian preaching is expository preaching. I agree but how many preachers preach expository sermons? Also how can one really expound on Scripture in a 15 minute Rotary type talk?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose that I am fortunate in terms of our teaching. Our pastor is an excellent expository preacher but our adult class teacher is also an excellent expository teacher. What I have found is that the adult Bible study has more time to for in depth teaching (we spend several months on an epistle, each class being an hour and 15 minutes). Sermons are typically 45-50 minutes, but they are structured to cover a particular ground and conclude at the end of that time (where as if we only get through two or three verses in the study that is fine).

I have attended classes that have used the “worthless SBC SS Literature” you speak of…and I agree as to their value (for the most part…I have seen a couple of “study guides” that were not awful - but I prefer that the “text book” be the Bible).

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Big, fat, giant, AMEN !!!

6. OldRegular

I fear you are one of the fortunate few in the SBC.

7. OldRegular

Many thanks!

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good to see your posting brother:thumbsup::type::applause:

9. OldRegular

Yielded temporarily to temptation; may God forgive me!