1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Predestination:

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Berean, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did. You dodged the question.

2. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philip Schaff:

"
    Romans 5:12
    Rom_5:12. On this account, or, ‘therefore,’ First of all on account of the statement of Rom_5:11, but virtually on account of all that precedes, since Rom_5:11 sums up the whole doctrine of righteousness and salvation. Since ‘reconciliation’ is received through our Lord Jesus Christ in the manner already set forth, ‘therefore’ the following parallel between Adam and Christ holds good.
    As, etc. The main difficulty is in regard to what should correspond with ‘as,’ the construction not being regular. The view of Meyer, which is grammatically most defensible, is that indicated in the analysis at the beginning of the section. The correspondence is suggested in Rom_5:12, the second member (‘the coming One’) indicated in Rom_5:14; expressed, after some points of difference, in Rom_5:18-19. In the rush of ideas suggested by the parallel, Paul intentionally suspends the mention of the second half, until he has proven one point in regard to the first half (Rom_5:13-14), and stated three important contrasts. In full form the parallel would be: ‘so also by one man, Jesus Christ, righteousness entered into the world, and life through righteousness, and thus life shall extend to all men, on condition that all believe, or are justified.’ But the parallel cannot hold in the last clause; for all men are sinners, but not all are believers; all are one with Adam, but not all are one with Christ. Other unsatisfactory explanations: that there is a designed suppression, because the parallel would not hold; that Rom_5:13-17 are parenthetical (so E. V.); that we should supply: ‘It was,’ or, ‘Christ wrought,’ before ‘as.’
    Through one man, i.e., Adam (Rom_5:14). Eve is not mentioned, for Adam had received the commandment, was the head of the woman, and had he not transgressed, his posterity would not have sinned (Bengel). The comparison between Adam and Christ is the only apt one, and there is no reference to Satan, because the Apostle is concerned with the effect, not the mode, of the fall (Meyer).
    Sin. The presence of the definite article in the Greek, and the course of thought sustain the view that ‘sin’ is here regarded as a power or principle, personified as a fearful tyrant, who has acquired universal dominion over the human race. Compare the characteristics of ‘sin,’ as given in this Epistle: he ‘reigns in death’ (Rom_5:21); ‘lords it over us’ (chap. Rom_6:14); ‘deceives and slays’ the sinner (chap. Rom_7:11); ‘works death’ in us (chap. Rom_7:13). This view is further sustained by the distinction made, throughout this section, between ‘sin’ and ‘transgression,’ ‘offence’ (or ‘trespass’). The term is, therefore, not to be limited, either to original sin on the one hand, or to actual sin on the other.
    Entered into the world; the world of man. ‘According to the Apostle’s conviction, evil was already in existence in another world’ (Tholuck), that of the angels. Hence our passage sheds no light on the origin of evil, except in the human race.
    Death. The entrance of death into the world of humanity was through sin, death as a power in the world resulted from the entrance of sin as a power; the two are uniformly connected in the Bible, beginning with Gen_2:17. Some limit the reference here to physical death, which undoubtedly was the first result. But the results of ‘sin’ are more extensive, and the contrast with ‘life’ in Rom_5:17-18; Rom_5:21, points to the evident sense of ‘death’ throughout the entire passage. This includes all physical and moral evil, the entire penal consequences of sin, death of the body, spiritual death, and eternal death of both soul and body (‘the second death,’ Rev_2:11; Rev_20:6; Rev_20:14; Rev_21:8). The fact that physical death did not immediately follow the first transgression, shows that Gen_2:17 included a more extensive penalty.
    Passed upon, lit., ‘came through unto,’ all men. The universal reign of death is thus connected, chronologically and logically, with its cause, the universal reign of sin. ‘All men’ here represents the several individuals making up ‘the world.’
    For that, or, ‘because,’ ‘on the ground that.’ This is the view now generally accepted. Other views: ‘In’ whom, i.e., Adam; an ancient view (so Augustine) now generally rejected as ungrammatical. ‘On the condition that;’ but this is unusual, and designed to meet a doctrinal difficulty.
    All sinned, not, ‘have sinned.’ A single historical act is meant, namely, the past event of Adam’s fall, which was at the same time virtually the fall of the human race as represented by him and germinally contained in him. (For the views of this connection between Adam and his posterity see Excursus at the close of the section.) As regards the interpretation of the words, it may be insisted that ‘simned’ is not equivalent to ‘became sinful.’ There remain two views: (1.) As a historical fact, when Adam sinned all sinned, because of the vital connection between him and his posterity. (2.) When Adam sinned, all were declared sinners, he being the representative of the race. The objection to this is, that ‘sinned’ is not equivalent to ‘were regarded as sinners,’ It makes the parallel between Adam and Christ more close than the passage, thus far, appears to warrant."

3. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? And what "angle" is that?

4. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am saying, that David's case does NOT prove that this is the way that God deals with EVERY infant that dies. What David said could well be what God told just him!

5. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    the wrong angle! :D

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that is not what Jon says. He says man can't have a fallen, sinful nature or Christ would have to have one too.

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, according to you, God IS a respecter of persons? Some people's infants go to heaven and some go to hell?

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again you dodge the question. Once again you demonstrate the inability to support your own assertions.

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you even read the stuff you cut and paste? Schaff does not disprove anything I have said.

10. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks for sharing what Henry Thiessen believes. Are you Henry Thiessen? What do you believe in regard to election?

As for Thiessen, his view on election is acceptable. He hedges on foreknowledge as though it is some sort of weakness in God's sovereignty. May I ask why you are shifting the dialogue away from predestination?

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that was what we call a question, apparently one you mistook for something else. You have my apology if your reply was the result of my poor wording, but I can without hesitation affirm my question was not blasphemy.

I will reword my question:

Is there a passage that speaks of man's nature itself as being inherently sinful of itself while (and we both affirm this part) Jesus' nature was not?

The reason I ask (and asked when you charged me with blasphemy) is the verse you used to demonstrate man's condemnation. You said man were condemned already (John 3). But the reason for condemnation was man's live if the dark because their deeds (their actions) were evil.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't mind, define what you mean by "nature".

The reason I ask is that I view our sinfulness (our "sin nature") as one of self-glorification.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's fine. A "dude, I gave you all I got...don't you get it???" would have been sufficient. I understand your doctrine.

#173 JonC, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't "give you all I got." I gave you the verse we have been discussing. It is by no means "all I got."

• Like Like x 1
  15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well T.C. being a preacher may appreciate an illustration I heard another preacher use in a sermon on our sin nature... He used a rattlesnake and we all know a rattlesnake is poisonous... And when the rattlesnake gives birth all the offspring are poisonous too... They are just as poisonous as their parents... So when Adam and Eve fell and sinned against God the effect of that sin affected him and ALL his posterity... So to make a long story short as the rattlesnake is poisonous at birth so is the sinner... In nature... That is their nature!... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 3
  16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent illustration, Glen!

I recently read an excellent article on the subject written by Dr. Kevin Bauder who was, before stepping down, the President of the Seminary I attended.

Federal and Natural Headship
    Kevin T. Bauder
    The Nick of Time

Most people balk when they are first confronted with the biblical teaching that all humans sinned in Adam. Their initial reflex seems to be, “How can God hold me accountable for something that Adam did?” This intuitive reaction to the doctrine of original sin is so consistent that it might just lead to the suspicion that most people are born Pelagians.

The two principal theories that attempt to answer this question are called federal headship and natural headship. To most people, the theories are hardly more comprehensible than the doctrine itself. Federal headship states that God sovereignly appointed Adam as the representative head of the human race, so that whatever obedience or disobedience Adam chose would be imputed to his posterity. Natural headship states that all of the human race was somehow in Adam, participating in his sin.

Most people can’t help thinking that federal headship is unfair. This supposed unfairness, however, evaporates pretty quickly once the theory is understood. Everybody understands that some people have to make choices for other people, and that sometimes these choices are matters of life and death. For example, small children are not allowed to decide for themselves whether they will receive an inoculation or other painful procedure. They do not have the maturity to make a wise choice. Parents are tasked to make the decision for the child, and a good parent will make the choice that mature persons would make for themselves if given the choice. Certainly Adam was in a better position to choose to obey God than any of his posterity. It makes sense that God would permit Adam to choose for all of his children. No evidence exists that any of Adam’s children would have made a better choice. In fact, none of them ever does.

For most people, natural headship is even less comprehensible. The theory teaches that the entire human race was somehow in Adam and sinned with him. Unfortunately, this articulation conjures up all the wrong images. People see themselves as microscopic homunculi situated within Adam’s body during the temptation, perhaps jumping up and down in anticipation of the sin and cheering him on in high, thin voices. Envisioned this way, the theory is easy to reject—but it is not really so ludicrous.

Natural headship grows out of the conviction that the human race is more than simply a collection of individuals. One must not define humanity by identifying recognizable human beings and then posit the race as an abstraction of these particular individuals. This approach would almost certainly overlook human persons who do not share the most recognizable properties. Those with genetic abnormalities could easily be classified as non-human, as could embryos. In fact, the so-called “pro-choice” movement took exactly this approach when attempting to justify abortion on demand. Who could believe that a tiny blob of tissue constituted a human person? The results have been disastrous.

The correct approach is to begin with the idea that the human race is a real thing. All those who proceed from the race are human beings, whether they share the more obvious characteristics of people or not. An embryo in the womb is a human being whether or not it looks like a miniature adult. Human nature pertains first to the race and only subsequently to individuals.

Perhaps an analogy can be found in the body, which comprises trillions of cells. Babies have very small bodies. Over time, those bodies grow to many times their original size: a seven pound baby may end up as a three hundred pound man. Not only do the cells multiply, but cells are regularly sloughed off and replaced by other cells. Most of the cells in the body are probably replaced (on average) every seven to ten years. Yet the body at eighty is numerically identical with the body at eight days—it is the same body. The identity of the body does not depend upon the continuity of the individual particles of which it is made.

At the present moment, the human race includes around seven billion living individuals. In 1999 it numbered about six billion. During the intervening years, upwards of 50 million people died each year, while about 135 million were born. The race now includes around one and one half billion people who were not part of it in 1999. It has lost half a billion people who were part of it at that time. But here is the important thing: it is still the same race.

Baby Boomers who grew up during the 1960s can remember when the human race included only three billion people. Nearly half of those are now dead—most of the generation that lived through the Depression and fought World War II is gone. Something like five billion people have been born into the race since the beginning of the 1960s. But it is still the same race. The integrity of the race does not depend upon the identity of the people whom it comprises.

In 1350 the total human population around the globe numbered about 370 million. Reeling from famines and plagues, the human race was much smaller than it is now. It included only a fraction of the number of individuals who now compose it. But it was the same race.

During the Middle Ages, humans numbered in the millions. At some point before that, the human race numbered in the hundreds of thousands. At one time, the race must have numbered in the hundreds. After the flood, the human race included only eight individuals. But at each stage, it was the same race.

If we trace human history back far enough, we shall make an important discovery. At one time, the human race consisted of a single individual, Adam. He stood in a unique position. Adam was not merely a solitary person. He was the entire human race. In some sense, all of the human race was in him, summed up in his being, because the race was the same race. All of his natural descendants emerged not only from him as an individual, but also (and more importantly) from him as a race.

When Adam acted, the entire race acted. When Adam chose, the entire race chose. When Adam sinned, the entire race sinned. This does not mean that all of his billions and billions of offspring were somehow individually present. It does mean that all of Adam’s descendants are included in the human race, and when Adam sinned, he was the same race.

God did not merely assign Adam’s choice arbitrarily to other people. No, in a meaningful sense we were in him, acting with him, sinning with him. We were not there as individuals, but as part of the undifferentiated essence of the human race. His guilt was not only personal, it was the guilt of the race. Whoever is Adam’s natural descendant—whoever is purely and simply a human being—must necessarily have been in him, participating with him.

“Because of this, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread unto all humans, because all sinned” (Rom. 5:12). The text does not say that all were charged with one man’s sin. It says that all sinned. It could not be otherwise, for all were in him and all participated in his choice. McGuffey’s reader got it right: “In Adam’s fall, we sinned all.”

(Dr. Bauder received a Bachelor of Arts from Faith Baptist Bible College, a Master of Divinity and Master of Theology from Denver Baptist Theological Seminary, a Doctor of Ministry from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. and a Doctor of Philosophy in Systematic and Historical Theology from Dallas Theological Seminary in 2001.)

The article and an accompanying poem can be found here:
    Federal and Natural Headship | SharperIron

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Float like a butterfly......:)

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard this one too.

I think we are back to defining exactly what we mean by nature. My definition (which has been rejected by....Confused....everyone ...:() is that our human nature directly relates to the human will (that our radio dial is tuned to the "our glory station" instead of God's glory). But at least I tried.....next....

19. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You did Jon?... That's funny I didn't see you in my church... You must have been in disguise!:Cool... Brother Glen:Biggrin

20. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When Adam sinned, the entire race sinned... I was talking to a man one day about our sin nature and he said well "I AM NOT A SINNER!"... I said well then you don't need a Savior!... Because the Apostle Paul said this... He said he was the head dog... Great article T.C. btw I threw that dog part in for you... Brother Glen:)

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.