1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Predestination

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by charles_creech78, Jan 5, 2011.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

www.searchgodsword.org/com/bcc/view.cgi?book=ro&chapter=008

continued

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

[/QUOTE]

continued

#42 convicted1, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

(First, let it be remembered that Paul was here speaking of those who were CALLED). All alike are seriously called. Only it happens that some consent to yield to the call, and some refuse. This distinction is indicated by Jesus in the saying, "Many are called, but few are chosen" (Matt. 20:16). The chosen in this passage are those who accept the call ... those not accepting the call, remain called and nothing more, to their condemnation. In the epistles, the apostles addressing Christians, do not require to make this distinction, since the individuals they address are assumed to have answered the call from the very fact that they have voluntarily entered the church. The case is like that of a man who should say to his guests assembled in his house: "Use everything that is here, for you are my invited guests." It is obvious that by thus expressing himself, he would not be distinguishing invitation from acceptance, the latter being implied in the very fact of their presence. F57
    In exactly the same manner, Paul's reference to God's having "destined" (or foreordained) certain ones to be Christians may not be restricted to mean that such was not the destiny of all people, for it is. In Godet's illustration, above, the host's reference to those assembled as his "invited guests" cannot mean that no others except those present had been invited. Paul's use of "foreordained" here and "called" in the following verse may not be restricted to mean that no others were foreordained or called.

#43 convicted1, Jan 8, 2011
  4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I am sorry that I destroyed this article. Please read the URL I posted in the first reepsonse to Bro. Iconoclast. Start with "verse 29. Again, sorry for such a LOOOOOOONG response!! Please take the time to read the "URL" I posted. It is such a wonderful read! This person breaks these two scriptures down soooooo purty!!! :thumbs:

i am I am's!!

Willis

#44 convicted1, Jan 8, 2011
  5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Willis,
    His idea of foreknowledge is off......because Paul is not talking about events
    He does not say.......for what he did foreknow as speaking about events
    He does say............for whom the persons known by God

Willis....like in Gen. Adam knew his wife Eve, and she conceived.
    Adam knew who she was...but this word is speaking of to know...intimately.
    Joseph knew not Mary until after the birth of Jesus.

It is not speaking of knowing some event, but rather knowing the persons.

So quoting this man who misses the whole passage does not help this discussion. read carefully and slowly what the verse is saying

for WHOM He did foreknow......do you see it now;)

#45 Iconoclast, Jan 8, 2011
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you say that foreknow is speaking of an intimate relationship, then if this is what leads to predestination, it would also be true that only those who are in union with Christ are the ones predestined, not the other way around.