1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Presbyterian Church votes to allow gay clergy

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by bb_baptist, Jun 16, 2001.

1. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

LOUISVILLE, KY. -- The Presbyterian Church (USA) may become the largest mainline denomination to allow openly noncelibate gay clergy in its pulpits after delegates voted Friday to remove a ban on gay pastors.
    Gathered at church headquarters in Louisville for the annual General Assembly meeting, delegates voted 317 to 208 to remove the ban and send the measure to the church's 173 regional presbyteries for ratification.

The future of the issue, however, is far from certain. Votes in the presbyteries can be sharply different from votes taken by the General Assembly. Last year, the General Assembly voted to ban same-sex unions, but that measure was defeated in regional votes.

Through nearly three hours of emotional debate, delegates signaled a determination not to defer the issue for more study. They rejected efforts to send the issue to a new theological task force and a move to simply fine-tune the language in the church's constitution.

Both sides started planning for votes in the regional presbyteries.

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

When you start playing around with bible doctrine and start using human viewpoint it all falls. How sad!

3. Ars

Ars New Member

I don't get it. I simply don't get it!

What Bible are they using???

If I may echo Bob... How sad... :(

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dajuid:
    I don't get it. I simply don't get it!

What Bible are they using???

If I may echo Bob... How sad... :(
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They aren't. It's about that simple.

5. Ars

Ars New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TomVols:

They aren't. It's about that simple.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one Tom.

6. true vine

true vine New Member

:confused: What ever happened to a man of one wife. What is up with all these women pastors. The Bible clearly states in Timothy that a Bushop/Pastor/Deacon/Preacher is a man of one wife,not three or four,and not a women.

7. MikeJ

MikeJ New Member

Just a small comment, but I do consider it to be important. This is the PC USA, not the PCA or Reformed Presbyterian.

8. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

When any denomination or church abandons the Bible as it's authority....then this opens up the floodgates of compromise.I believe that their "bible" is popular culture! The problems lies when one tries to make the Bible fit the cultural norms instead of the church reflecting Biblical guidelines. :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

9. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The following anouncement was taken from the current e-mail I received from CRI.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> BIBLE ANSWER MAN BROADCAST: Joe Dallas on the Bible Answer Man. Be sure to tune in on Tuesday and Wednesday, June 19 & 20 when Hank welcomes to the studio Joe Dallas. Joe is Program Director of Genesis Counseling in southern California and the former president of Exodus International. He is the author of three books on homosexuality from the Christian perspective. They will be taking a powerful, straightforward look at the issue of homosexuality and how Christians can use this "Gay Pride month" has an opportunity to reach those caught in this destructive lifestyle. For more information click here: http://www.equip.org/special/ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

10. JEL

JEL Guest

The decision was made by the general assembly and still has to make it through the presbyteries before it fully passes. If it does it will likely split the denomenation, and rightly so. Not all Presbyterians agree on this by any means. It is strictly unbiblical. Pray for them.

11. Bob Landis

Bob Landis New Member

This is a total abomination and a cold slap in God's face. These continued types of apostasies are going to render the Church as a whole dead. Can anyone say rapture of the Church comming soon? I can. :eek: