1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preservation

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by KenH, May 21, 2022.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would caution you about thinking being overly self-reliant. Remember, even the Ethiopian eunuch needed someone to teach him.

Acts 8:30-31 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Also, remember Apollos.

Acts18:24-26 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus. This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John. And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

And, remember:

Romans 10:13-15 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

2. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

How do you get from my comment, that I am being "overly self-reliant"?.....I only lean upon the Lord and His Holy Spirit to teach me. Would you say that to Paul, who took years to be by himself to receive "revelation's" from the Lord through the Holy Spirit to be "overly self-reliant"?
    Also I have been blessed by JC Philpot's writings from his sermon's, which has confirmed what I have been taught by the Holy Spirit, and his writings have also answered a couple of questions I had been asking the Lord about. That is not being "overly self-reliant", so I do not accept your judgement about my walk with the Lord.

I do understand, however, the eunuch was not saved. The scriptures were drawing him, not high Terminology for Theology. Phillip who assisted him by explaining who was being spoken of by the Spirit of Elijah, it was about Jesus so it lead him to be saved.
    Apollos was a follower of John the Baptist, but he had to be born again, so Aquila & Priscilla taught him the better way. In Gospel simple terms.

So I truly do not understand what this has to do with my discernment regarding the man's over rated Theology Terminology?

Thank you.
    The Lord bless you......

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    )
    Your examples in 1 and 2 Samuel are words quoted as spoken by Philistines and an Amalekite in conversations.

On Luke 10:31, the word "chance" is synkyrian - syn meaning "with" or "together"; kyrian meaning "supreme in authority" or "LORD". Thus the meaning, which would be better translated coincidence(from coincide which means to occupy the same place in space or time, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary), "with the LORD". As Young's Literal Translation of 1898(YLT98) has:

Luke 10:31 ‘And by a coincidence a certain priest was going down in that way, and having seen him, he passed over on the opposite side;

The Literal Standard Bible(LSV) has the same:

Luke 10:31
    And by a coincidence a certain priest was going down in that way, and having seen him, he passed over on the opposite side;

#23 KenH, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
  4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not Paul; you are not an apostle like those 13 men were(not counting Judas).

It is good that you read Philpot's sermons. If you don't mind me asking, what church do you attend(physically or vias the internet) to hear the gospel proclaimed?

5. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

To hear the Gospel proclaimed and how to walk the narrow path, I have my Bible, the Lord and His Holy Spirit, and JC Philpot.
    I have listened to George Antoinous, a member on this board, on his utube station, and I have had two zoom calls with him.
    However due to some of his teachings, especially his "Gap Theory" teaching I can not attend his church in Montreal. I do not submit myself to immature teacher's.

I have also listened to several of "Scott Price's" UTube channel, and agreed with some of his understanding on the scripture's. Matter of fact I have reached out to him via his email, just last week, still waiting to hear from him. It is all in the Lord's hands.

I attend no government 501 (C) (3) registered church. The Lord called me to come out and be separated unto Him, over 18 years ago. There are many such as I. It's called the Remnant. Very much the same standing as Scott Price......

I do hope this answer's your questions.
    Thanks for asking..

The Lord bless you....
    In His Love...

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note how when scripture says things happen by chance, the non-chance advocate claims scripture does not mean what it says.

As to the Thayer's lexical meaning of G4795 (the Greek word translated chance) " συγκυρία, συγκυριας, ἡ (συγκύρειν, to happen, turn out), accident, chance: κατά συγκυρίαν, by chance, accidentally, Luke 10:31. The NET footnote says the word adds an expectation of hope or fortune. And of course the non-chance advocate seeks to turn our expectation into futility, the future is set in stone. Unbiblical hogwash..

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This Scott Price? (35) scott price - YouTube

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NET footnote is not about the meaning of the word, but how the hearer would be emotionally responding to the story. In full it says, "The phrase by chance adds an initial note of hope and fortune to the expectation in the story."

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, but that is what I said!! Your Calvinist futility view is unbiblical hogwash.

10. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greetings,

I am sorry I did not respond to your comparing me with Paul and the other Apostles, excluding Judas.

I do not, nor do I think I am as Paul, an Apostle. That was for that time in the Body of Christ.
    However, any born-again, born from above disciple, can have the same close relationship with the Lord as they all did. Matter of fact the Lord Jesus Christ said so Himself:

Joh 17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
    Joh 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
    Joh 17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
    Joh 17:23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Joh 17:24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

You see the Lord has saved me from the pit of despair, and from a homosexual lifestyle. I am nothing, and He is everything. When my mother and father rejected me, the Lord came and took me up and loved me more than they ever did or could. When such an incredible God would grant the likes of me with salvation, and keep me separated unto Himself, for His purposes, who am I to argue with such a Loving God and Saviour?

1Co_1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
    1Co 1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
    1Co 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
    1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

The Lord bless you.....
    In His Love.....

11. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

Yes, that Scott Price, is there another one? I actually started listening to his teachings, some 3 yrs ago. When you brought up his video in another Posting thread of yours, I had restarted to listen to his teachings, because I forgot all about him.

I now have him bookmarked......I also have a born-again Christian sister, in Texas, we have known each other since the early 90's back in Montreal. We talk and zoom every other week.

The Lord bless you......
    In His Love...

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, I am not by any means disparaging studying the Scriptures, as I have been reading and studying the Scriptures from as soon as I was old enough to read. I think there should be both hearing the gospel of Christ proclaimed and studying the Scriptures:

2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

#32 KenH, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
  13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is cool. :) I benefit from listening to Scott's sermons. Scott is working on an app for Roku that will consist of videos of Bible preaching and teaching by preachers such as Scott, and my pastor, Richard Warmack, at Grace Baptist Church in Ruston, Louisiana, and Pastor Bill Parker at Eager Avenue Grace Church in Albany, Georgia.

Do you know about Scott's website: Home GospelDefense.com

14. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greetings,

Yes, I do, I have it booked marked.

I am not a "babe in Christ" I've known the Lord for over 44 years......I can not allow anyone to despise my maturity in the Lord. I've allowed too many so-called "Christian men" treat me as if I am still in the gay life, I've suffered from those type of bullying tactic's. I know my place in the Lord, and I shall not be moved from that.

If you read my testimony you would understand what I have gone through and learned from it.

My Personal Testimony of 42 years….

The Lord bless you.....
    In His Love....

• Informative Informative x 1