1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

President Re-Takes Oath

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Magnetic Poles, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Obama said he forgot his Bible, oops but he sure didn't forget to make a big deal about using Abraham Lincoln's Bible yesterday in front of ALL those people.

Therefore a Bible was NOT important today.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==That is really an amazing reply! You ignored everything I wrote, probably for political reasons, and are still trying to make something out of nothing. Maybe you should go back and read my points (mainly #1). Swearing on the Bible is a sin and our Consitution does not require a person to sin in order to take the office of President.

I await your answer to my points from Scripture and the Constitution (per previous reply).

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Don't take the
    [​IMG]

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

No, it's not.

Sheesh.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Because there is no need to use one - it is all public tradition. No big deal.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I heard he was standing on a Koran...

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I believe we all saw him place his hand on the Bible and swear to an oath yesterday. For that reason I don't see it as necessary today even though it would have been nice.

However, isn't there a law against having a bible publicly displayed in a government building? I know you can leave a Bible out at most jobs.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Your allegation would carry more weight if Obama was the one who made the flub. Roberts was appointed by a GOP president.

9. Enoch

Enoch New Member

What political reasons? I really do not know where you stand on any issue.

Apparently it is nothing to you but it's something to me. I did read your other comments and did not ignore them sorry you felt that way. They simply were not my complaint.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==So your complaining that Mr. Obama did not sin again by swearing on the Bible? Your complaining that he did what is required by the Constitution? He is not required to swear in on a Bible and the Bible itself forbids such swearing. So why do you want him to do something the Bible says he should not do? I don't get it.

11. Enoch

Enoch New Member

To each his own, but imo it is revealing.

12. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Apparently you missed the big deal about using Abraham Lincoln's Bible which was just for show otherwise Obama would have used a Bible the second re-do. Priorities noted. Remember crowd size when displaying character.

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I don't care what Bible was being used or not being used. Constitutionally it is not required and Biblically it is forbiden. A point you continue to set aside. He used the Bible Tuesday for the same reason every other President has since John Adams, tradition. It is a tradition that has nothing to do with the law or the Bible. In fact it is a tradition that is in disobedience to Scripture.

Why do you want Mr. Obama, or anyone for that matter, to do what Scripture says he should not do (Matt 5:34-37, Jms 5:12, Matt 23:16-22)? Please give a direct answer to that question. Thanks.:wavey:

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Jesus said to swear not by heaven, or by earth, or by your head. Then he added, "But let your statement be, 'Yes, yes' or 'No, no'; anything beyond these is of evil." Therefore affirming comes of evil, as well as swearing, because it's more than a Yes or No.

15. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==You might have a point there, I will have to think about it more, but the way I understand it is that affirming is just agreeing. I'm not sure it violates the "yes" or "no" principle/command but you have given me something to think about.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

What I saw on tv was that the constution has a specific oath that must be followed, and when he didn't follow it exactly, no matter who was at fault, he was not legally president until he take the oath in the manner given in the constution.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

No press.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Legally power changed hands at high noon EST on January 20th regardless of when the oath was taken.

Amendment XX

Section 1. The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

apparently the oath doesn't mean anything then does it, out goes the constution.

Your right to constution is explicit on that oath, and if it wasn't done right, then according to the constution you ahve to do it exact in order for it to be legal.

4.Obama not interrupting.

#39 donnA, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009
  20. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you think about it, the oath isn't swearing by anything. Swear vs. affirm without grounding the oath in something else is just a semantic game.