1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preterists Cannot Prove Their Assertions !

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by robycop3, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great give us a play by play of the scroll and the bowl judgments and what events they symbolized?

2. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A number of things are symbolic of judgment, clouds are not one of them.

3. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point is that prophecies are filled with symbolism. Jesus was just following suit, so to speak.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Symbolisms represent something literal.

5. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My short answer is that the seals, trumpets, and bowl judgements seem very similar. It's possible that they describe the same events, but with increasing intensity as time goes by. Overall, I believe this describes the Jewish War and destruction of Jerusalem. Unfortunately, it don't have the time to give that a thorough answer today. It could make a great topic for a future discussion, though. What do you think?

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think if you cannot do as I have asked you have problems defending your position.

7. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say that I couldn't do it. I thought you wanted a detailed answer, which will take me a little more time than I have today. Maybe tomorrow during my lunch break.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I look forward to it

• Like Like x 1
  9. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you sure of that? Clouds most certainly are symbolic. All one has to do is go through occurrences of the word, esp. in the OT.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Rev. 6 Jesus is opening the scrolls & shows John the victorious one - himself, who will continue to conquer until the end of time. Compare with the horsemen & chariots of Zechariah & you will see these are angelic agents mobilising for the destruction of Jerusalem as Ezekiel described in Eze. 14.

21 ‘For this is what the Sovereign Lord says: how much worse will it be when I send against Jerusalem my four dreadful judgments – sword and famine and wild beasts and plague – to kill its men and their animals! 22 Yet there will be some survivors – sons and daughters who will be brought out of it. They will come to you, and when you see their conduct and their actions, you will be consoled regarding the disaster I have brought on Jerusalem – every disaster I have brought on it. 23 You will be consoled when you see their conduct and their actions, for you will know that I have done nothing in it without cause, declares the Sovereign Lord.’​

Those brought out are the 144,000, a perfect number of Israelites delivered up to the time of the escape from the doomed city.

The trumpets are final warnings before the destruction, & the bowls are the destruction.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again - a REALITY CHECK shows those events have NOT yet occurred ! There's just no getting around that FACT !

Yes, Jerusalem & the temple were destroyed just as Jesus said. But there was NO 'beast', NO marka the beast, NO great trib, and certainly NO physical, visible return of Jesus.

And notice Jesus went on speaking of Jerusalem, without saying it'd be rebuilt. He said it'd be trod underfoot by gentiles, AFTER it was destroyed. He didn't say it'd be rebuilt, but obviously it was, and is still being trod underfoot by gentiles at this very moment.

I highly recommend you chuck whatever material you have from Preston, Gentry, Alcazar, or other preterist quacks. They're nothing but hooey.

12. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the 2nd Babylon in Rev is Rome, Italy, & the RCC. Please read Rev. 17 very closely.

Who says He can't, or doesn't ???????????

No, much HASN'T yet been fulfilled. Again, I'm waiting for you to provide CREDIBLE EVIDENCE that the 'beast' & his sidekick the false prophet, have come & gone, that the great trib, the worst series of disasters in history, has already occurred, the mark of the beast has been issure, etc. etc.

Had they happened, you should be able to tell us who the beast & FP were, what the marka the beast looked like, tell us when all like in the seas died, when all green grass was burned up, etc. etc.

I'm hoping you have an "epiphany" & realize just how silly preterism is! There's not one quark of **PROOF/EVIDENCE/DOCUMENTATION** sustaining it!

#72 robycop3, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simple fact is, Eusebius was wrong on several things, & this is one of them.

Why ? ? They're SCRIPTURE!

The OC system was ended at the "Last Supper" when Jesus proclaimed the New Covenant.

It makes PLENTY of sense, as the sun & moon were not partially obscured at that time.

OF COURSE they haven't been seen, by the simple fact that they HAVEN'T HAPPENED YET!

The SIMPLE FACT is, the events of V19 haven't happened yet. Betcha can't find any credible evidence to the contrary!

14. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again and again, I shall point out the FACT that those other events prophesied in the OD have NOT yet occurred!

Providing credible evidence those events HAVE already occurred is the ONLY thing that would sustain preterism! Nothing else will do!

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, while the parts of the OD I cited in the OP of this thread that HAVE cometa pass, did so LITERALLY, TO-THE-LETTER, we are to believe the rest WON'T cometa pass JUST-AS-LITERALLY ???????????

The writers of the pret garbage you subscribe to, have reduced "inconvenient" Scriptures to "symbolism" to try to cover the fact that they haven't yet been fulfilled. THAT WON'T WORK! Square peg, round hole!

You SHOULD be able to see that for yourself, as you're not stupid!

I shall REPEATEDLY keep reminding you of the simple truth that those events haven't occurred yet!

16. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is interesting that even the Reformers were confessedly baffled by Revelation. Martin Luther really pulled out treasures from Romans, but when it came to the last book he wrote,:

"About this book of the Revelation of John, I leave everyone free to hold his own ideas, and would bind no man to my opinion or judgment; I say what I feel. I miss more than one thing in this book, and this makes me hold it to be neither apostolic nor prophetic. First and foremost, the Apostles do not deal with visions, but prophesy in clear, plain words, as do Peter and Paul, and Christ in the Gospel. For it befits the apostolic office to speak of Christ and His deeds without figures and visions; but there is no prophet in the Old Testament, to say nothing of the New, who deals so out and out with visions and figures. And so I think of it almost as I do of the Fourth Book of Esdras, and can nohow detect that the Holy Spirit produced it."

Source:
    Beggars All: Reformation And Apologetics: Luther on Revelation: "I feel an aversion to it, and to me this is sufficient reason for rejecting it."

I believe something similar is at work with many modern Christians. They have a mental cataract that refuses to acknowledge spiritual language of this book. They don't disown the book, as Luther did, but they turn it into the most confusing and frustrating book in the Bible. All because they cannot see that the thrust of the prophecies in Revelation are mostly limited geographically and temporally.

#76 asterisktom, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, there was a Beast - Nero. Mark of the Beast wasn't a literal mark like a tatoo. The "great tribulation" was what they were going through. We do agree that there was no visible physical return of Jesus, but there was a "judgmental" return, where He used the Roman army to execute His judgment.

I don't remember questioning whether Jerusalem would ever be rebuilt. However, the Bible does not predict a 3rd Temple.

I'd never heard of Alcazar, but you can bet your boots I will check him (or her) out. Thanks for the "tip" :). Talk about hooey - what about Harold Camping and his false prophecies? Or Hal Lindsey? Or Tim LaHaye? Those guys were way out in some fantasyland.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny, I keep hoping you "dispy" guys will wake up and smell the coffee. I've told you several times that the "Beast" was Nero, and that Apostate Israel was the False Prophet. You keep looking for a literal interpretation of events that were meant to be interpreted symbolically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Scripture is 100% true, but not all interpretations are accurate. I've explained before that while the New Covenant was instituted at the Last Supper, the Old Covenant system wasn't completely ended until the destruction of the Temple. Your interpretation is wrong basically because you don't understand how to properly understand prophecy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will need to remind me of what specific events you are talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.