1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preterists still won't give up...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by robycop3, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who was the man of Sin paul mentions that was destroyed by the second coming of Jesus? When did the resurrection of the church happen then?

2. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think most preterists have you on ignore.

You are also getting away from the point that futurists follow Jesuit teachings.

Clarence Larking a hyper dispensationlist. wrote
    The "Futurist School" interprets the language of the Apocalypse "literally, " except such symbols as are named as such, and holds that the whole of the Book, from the end of the third chapter, is yet "future" and unfulfilled, and that the greater part of the Book, from the beginning of chapter six to the end of chapter nineteen, describes what shall come to pass during the last week of "Daniel's Seventy Weeks." This view, while it dates in modern times only from the close of the Sixteenth Century, is really the most ancient of the three. It was held in many of its prominent features by the primitive Fathers of the Church, and is one of the early interpretations of scripture truth that sunk into oblivion with the growth of Papacy, and that has been restored to the Church in these last times. In its present form it may be said to have originated at the end of the Sixteenth Century, with the Jesuit Ribera, who, actuated by the same motive as the Jesuit Alcazar, sought to rid the Papacy of the stigma of being called the "Antichrist, " and so referred the prophecies of the Apocalypse to the distant future. This view was accepted by the Roman Catholic Church and was for a long time confined to it, but, strange to say, it has wonderfully revived since the beginning of the Nineteenth Century, and that among Protestants.

The big lie there is that is the most ancient of the three. It is in fact the most recent as the ECF taught no such thing.

• Like Like x 2
  3. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I left the dispie teaching of the Brethren I became an historicist premil, but the nonsense posted by the futurists has made me ook at the scriptures again and I am finding it difficult to see how that can fit in, but I have not yet made my mind up.

I don't think the preterist teaching is viable. I think the futurist teaching is what Paul warned of in 1 Timothy 4:1

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nupe, not a bit confused. The prince hasn't yet come. But when he does, he will be of Roman descent. (Romans were all over the place. He could be British, French, Greek, or even American, as many people of Roman descent have emigrated here.

Nupe again! Scripture names the tribes!

Rev. 7:4 And I heard the number of those who were sealed, one hundred and forty-four thousand sealed from every tribe of the sons of Israel:5 from the tribe of Judah, twelve thousand were sealed, from the tribe of Reuben twelve thousand, from the tribe of Gad twelve thousand, 6 from the tribe of Asher twelve thousand, from the tribe of Naphtali twelve thousand, from the tribe of Manasseh twelve thousand, 7 from the tribe of Simeon twelve thousand, from the tribe of Levi twelve thousand, from the tribe of Issachar twelve thousand, 8 from the tribe of Zebulun twelve thousand, from the tribe of Joseph twelve thousand, from the tribe of Benjamin, twelve thousand were sealed.

So, you're wrong again. Those not of Judah, Benjamin, or Levi are not Jews.

For not agreeing with preterism, you sure do support some of their poppycock quite a bit.

I'm really srarting to doubt your credibility. Daniel 11:36 onward is clearly a prophecy of the antichrist, & it has NOT yet been fulfilled. And it's certainly not symbolic!

That's why I'm doubting your credibility. A great pret excuse is "The language is figurative/symbolic/metaphorical", so if you say you're not a preterist, your use of pret excuses to try to account for not-yet-fulfilled prophecy makes your claim untrue.

5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, only the event in Israel was recorded in Scripture. God's writers weren't concerned with other lands, except those near Israel.

MMRRPP! WRONG!

The wonder the Babs were interested in was the destruction of the Assyrian army. Remember, the Babs & Assyrians were at war. The sun went retrograde in Babylon same is in Israel, so the Babs wouldn'ta had to have gone to Israel to enquire. But the Assyrians were destroyed en masse only in Israel, breaking the power of their strong king Sennacherib. So, you're wrong again.

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they do, they're using a CLUELESS COWARD'S weapon, cuz they can't answer questions nor defend their doctrine.

WHO CARES?

It doesn't matter that a jeezit aroused the interest in preterism. What DOES matter is that it's FALSE!

7. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Scripture wasn't mostly-literal, men could make it mean whatever they wanted, and in fact, that's what many pseudo/quasi-Christian cults do! Either they change the wording of it,(JWs, Mor"m"ons) or invent new meanings for it.(Seven-Day-Adlibbers, many pentecostal branches)

Then, why do ypou defend so much of their junk, & use their excuses?

I suggest you read past Verse 1!

1 Tim. 4:1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.

EXACTLY what some cults & sects do today, including the RCC!

This is another example of LITERAL prophecy fulfillment. Preterism is included in this, as well as disbelief such as what you're exhibiting.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bwahahahahahahahahahaha! *i can't breathe!*
    :Laugh:Laugh:Laugh:Laugh:Laugh:Laugh

#28 Aaron, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But what you call the lack of evidence is the inability to reconcile Preterism with your Darbyist assumptions, themselves arbitrary and unsubstantiated.

In short, you're begging the question.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can YOU prove it impossible to ever occur?

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one but God can ACCURATELY predict the future, but my "assumptions" are based upon a literal-as-possible belief of the accuracy of Scripture. God, in His word, has made certain prophecies which have obviously NOT yet been fulfilled, but prets SAY they have been, but are unable to provide any PROOF they've been fulfilled.

Can YOU do any better?

12. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the futurists. Futurism is the most recent of the three main understandings of prophecy and it has arrived in these latter times.

I only support them when they are correct, which is more often than your stargazing is. You say you believe in a literal understanding but you do not as when it suits you you deny the obvious fulfillment because it doesn't fit in with your preconceived ideas. You deny the prince has come and his people destoyed the temple and that is false. It was fulfilled literally to the letter and history PROVES it. Yous are either wilfully denying the actual historical fulfilment or you have been sadly misled by FALSE TEACHERS.

If your teaching disagrees with the teaching of the Church for hundreds of years before 1820, that the POPE is ANTICHRIST, then you are following a false Catholic Teaching whether you are preterist or futurists.

I have found that preterists are far more polite than futurists. Although I have friend who are dispies, so they're not all bad.

• Like Like x 1
  13. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh dear, you don't understand the prophecies.
    1) Yes it was. Read all of Olivet again and again and try to understand what it means .
    2) The Pope sitting in what he claims is Christ's seat, the church. Remember Paul said more than once You (The Church) are the temple of God. There is no other. Christ lives in his Church.
    3) The beast in Revelation 13 is Rome, the 4th beast in Daniel 7. But had the characteristics of the other three. But in the opposite order.
    The Lion of Babylon
    The Bear of Persia
    And the Leopard of Greece.
    Compare with Daniel 7.
    The beast is the last kingdom, the Iron Kingdom Rome and no Other. Each of the kingdoms was absorbed into the following kingdom until Rome, the last Kingdom.

14. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It may be, but not so false as futurist stargazing.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol. So you say, but that's the real question, isn't it? Is your hermeneutic the right one?

Illuminating the errors and weaknesses in your hermeneutic? Definitely, and so can almost anyone in this thread.

Can I prove my view is consistent with your assumptions? Well of course not. To paraphrase you, my view is right and yours is wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but then neither can I disprove the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently, the Church needs another Reformation, to rid itself of dispensationalism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Literal AS POSSIBLE"

That's a good one. The usual one I hear is "Literal except when a literal understanding won't fit then they are symbolic"

Both leave it to you to make up your mind and the interpretation then depends on you and another can have a different interpretation and then you can argue with each other.

Most of the OT prophecies are symbolic. Daniel 2 The statue and its parts are symbolic. Daniel 7 the bests are symbolic, Horns are symbolic.

In Daniel 8 the Ram is symbolic, the horns are symbolic. The Goat is symbolic, the horns are symbolic. The King of fierce countenance is Herod.

Daniel 9 is a prophecy of the coming of the Lord and his ministry and the destruction of the temple and the end of the earthly kingdom and the beginning of the heavenly kingdom. Although futurists add to it things that are not there. The six points of the seventy weeks were all fulfilled in the Messiah. The later evaents were a result of that. The prince came his people destroyed the temple and city.

Daniel 11 is mainly literal and gives a complete prophecy from the beginning of the Greek empire to the coming of the messiah and the Christians fleeing Jerusalem in the Roman war in Daniel 12:1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And how exactly does a group of unregenerate men (RCC) constitute the Church? The RCC is not the temple of God and is not the church. Therefore the pope does not sit in the temple of God.

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does your mommy know you are on the computer again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.