1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Primitive Baptists and the American religious imagination

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rlvaughn, May 21, 2021.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Glen, tyndale1946, asks to help out in creating a thread on a dissertation by Joshua Aaron Guthman, titled “What I am ’tis hard to know: Primitive Baptists, the Protestant self, and the American religious imagination” (Doctor of Philosophy dissertation, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2008). The title comes from an old hymn once popular among many Baptists, but perhaps now mainly confined in use to Primitive Baptists, other Old School Baptists, and Sacred Harp singers:

I am a stranger here below,
    And what I am ’tis hard to know;
    I am so vile, so prone to sin,
    I fear that I’m not born again.

There is not a direct link that pulls up the dissertation, but you can go to THIS PAGE and click to Download the PDF. It is set as public, so anyone can download and read it at no charge.
    Related, in that it is about Primitive Baptists, while looking for Guthman’s dissertation, I also found this one:
    “There Is A Gnawing Worm Under The Bark Of Our Tree Of Liberty: Anti-Mission Baptists, Religious Liberty, and Local Church Autonomy” (John Lindbeck, University of Mississippi, Master of Arts thesis, 2013)

• Like Like x 2
  2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the help Brother Robert and I look forward to reading the one you found and posted... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A quote from Guthman, “What I am ’tis hard to know,” p. 5:
    Primitive Baptists in the antebellum South struggled with missionary adversaries and with an austere set of beliefs that put them at odds both with evangelicals and their own fraught consciences. As uncompromising believers who, as one historian put it, were “more Calvinistic…than Calvin himself,” the Primitive Baptists held two core beliefs from which flowed all other matters of worldly and otherworldly affairs. They knew that God had decided, even before He created the world, who among the planet’s later inhabitants would be saved and who would be damned. And they knew as well that not only could they never know or understand God’s decision, they could do nothing to alter it. This put them far indeed from the more optimistic strains of evangelical Protestantism sweeping the early republic.​

• Like Like x 1
  4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After reading the one you posted Brother Robert, I especially like this comment from Elder Joshua Lawrence

It appears to me very plainly, that the present movements of the priests are like a man breaking a yoke of oxen—first to coax them gently—then the rope—then coax, rub, feed, and stroke—then the yoke—then gently the cart—then a light load—then as much as they can bear—then more, galled necks or not, go they must, or the whip they must have, without mercy or compassion. Just so are the priests doing. Oh ye sons of liberty; ye children of wild oxen independence, to rove where you please, and graze on pastures of happiness according to your own liking, they are coaxing, persuading, begging, and putting on the yoke and cart, by large sums of money, theological and Sunday schools, combined with the press and priestly influence—and I tell you, these worms will cut the root of our independence, and if they get law on their side, they will load the cart with tithes, to the galling of your hearts, and you must go, or pop goes the whip

This is my Primitive Baptist mindset... The LORD!.. Always beats the preacher to the creature!... Brother Glen:)

Acts 13:47 For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.

13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came to think much of the reaction to Calvinism is rooted in a reaction to this mindset.