1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Principal Fired For Trying To Keep Students From Speaking Spanish

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jedi Knight, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

I was struck by this inane quote from Augustin Pinedo, identified in the story as the director of the League of United Latin American Citizens for the region.
    Or maybe we'd like to be able to provide an impetus for them to actually learn English so they can function in a society that is not their own?? Just a thought ...

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

4. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In Houston you MUST speak English to server on Jury Duty. Where is the discrimination cry to server others in Jury duty in Spanish? Why is this double standard not challenged? Why isn't someone fired there? Is it because it does not server there own agenda?

#4 Jedi Knight, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
  5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was the principal banning all Spanish speaking or just academic related Spanish speaking?

What about students in ESL classes, how would they have been required to adhere to this policy?

Was there more to what was said than "don't speak Spanish"?

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    if I understood correctly from one radio program, this principal simply wanted students to speak English within school grounds and especially in their classrooms.
    the board, as usual, knee-jerked and went PC instead of looking at the issue with clear eyes (apologies to Ben Stein).
    I do not think this principal was invoking patriotic reasons or anything of that sort. The following is my take on this issue:
    she required English only within the confines of their school for orders' sake.
    First, not all of the students spoke Spanish, and for that matter, not all the teachers did, either.
    Then, the Hispanics were rude in the sense that they spoke to each other in Spanish while in class, and what will be a stretch is for somebody to tell me the classrooms in this school were quiet during class time and during recitation time or whatever you call it in this generation.
    So, for non-Spanish speaking students and teachers how do you know what is being said ?
    Put the shoe in the other foot, what if half of the class did not, or barely spoke, English and conversations for the most part were carried out in English ?
    It's a matter of order and decorum.
    Besides, yes, this IS America, Texas IS American soil, and English IS STILL the country's language.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    like I said in another thread.
    it is sad when simple patriotic acts like standing still while the oath of allegiance is recited in public causes 'goose bumps'.
    sadder still when Americans cannot speak English, or require that English be spoken within the confines of public schools paid for by American taxpayers, who, by majority speak English and were born and raised thinking America is an English-speaking country.