1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prison Ministry Instructions Needed

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Ingo Breuer, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Ingo Breuer

Ingo Breuer Member

The Lord might open me a door into ministering to people in the county jail in our town. My pastor and I were in a causual conversation and we got to talk about the county jail. I just asked if he was ever involved in any form of prison ministry. He said he only went to the jail when we was asked for, but if I am interested in visiting the jail inmates he would introduce me to the sheriff, se we could get started.

Now I am looking for some people who have some experience with prison ministry. How do you approach jail inmates? How can you lead them in prayer, invite them to a short Bible study or at least give them a gospel tract and let them know that they are not forgotten and that God loves and cares for them and wants them saved?

Anyone who can give me some instructions/links/contacts that would help is encouraged to write me back. Thanks in advance for any help or some guidance on prison ministry.

[​IMG]

2. td

td New Member

Mr. Breuer, please check your email for my reply to your request.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Contact your local Salvation Army Corps and they will happily have you on the local prision ministry team.

If you are asked by an inmate if you have done drugs, broken the law etc. Do not act in a bragging manner if you have. It is seen that you are not genuine. Do not wear make up, Jewellery or anything that could invoke jelousy. Absoulutley do not supply phone numbers or addresses, always deal through the local church.

Good luck, There are people inside that need a friend like you.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Our Church has a jail ministry called Free on the Inside. There is a team of them about 8 or 10 I think, they are on the jails schedule and are assigned certain days each month to go in and lead a worship service. After the worship they councel with any of the inmates who want to talk to someone. They've several salvations, and when these men get out they for the most part stick with church. We've had several at our church,a nd others have joined churches nearer there homes. I don't know about anywhere else, but here the sheriff doesn't ahve anything to do with the running of the jail. Call the administration office at your county jail and talk to the chaplain, he can advise you on how to get involved.

5. JohnB

JohnB New Member

You should probably contact Prison Fellowship Ministries. They are probably the biggest, best organized and most well know prison ministry group. I am sure they could provide tons of guidance and materials. www.pfm.org

6. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member