1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prison Ministry

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by wayward son, Jul 18, 2004.

1. wayward son

wayward son New Member

I need anyone that can tell me how to get a prison ministry started and where I can get materials.

Wayward Son
    It Does Finally Matter

2. psr.2

psr.2 Guest

Getting a prison ministry started is not difficult.
    1. Find the prison you want to work in.
    2. Call and ask for a chaplain or volunteer coordinator.
    3. Ask to set-up a meeting to see if a ministry time is available.

Rock of Ages prison ministry has a big work going.
    Freedom Flyer prison ministry also has a lot of prison works.

3. psr.2

psr.2 Guest

Why the interest in a prison ministry?

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps your pastor would be able to help, and if you are a pastor, maybe your local Director of Missions would have some information.

5. wayward son

wayward son New Member

Our county built a large jail where they also house overflow from the state prison. One of the prisoners wrote an article in our newspaper, stating that a ministry is much needed. God has laid it on the hearts of myself and atleast one other. I was saved when I was 27. Before, I led a life of sin and crime. We send men to prison for punishment. Then, we turn them loose and expect them to be productive members of society. They usually go back. Salvation and renewing the mind as we all know are the answers.

Thank You,
    Wayward Son
    It Does Finally Matter

6. td

td New Member

If you know someone who is already in a ministry and makes regular visits to a jail or prison, make a point to go with them to see how things work. They will get you hooked up with the chaplain and find a spot for you. That's how I got started.

Also, Prison Fellowship has lots of material and local field reps that provide training and education for churches and volunteers.

In Georgia, there are usually more ministries and volunteers in the prisons than the chaplains can handle, as they are part-time employees. The biggest need in prison ministry right now is after care. Lots of folks want to do Bible studies in prison, but very few are willing to mentor or help someone after they are released.

7. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

"In Georgia, there are usually more ministries and volunteers in the prisons than the chaplains can handle, as they are part-time employees. The biggest need in prison ministry right now is after care. Lots of folks want to do Bible studies in prison, but very few are willing to mentor or help someone after they are released."from "td" My question to everyone is this: "What is the reason for so "few" who are willing to mentor or help someone after they are released?" If I remember correctly from Prison Fellowship, they could encourage people to write to the inmate but have the return mail go to one's local church or whatever the details are instead of having the inmate write to one's personal home address. If I am wrong, then please correct me. Thank you for reading, Mr. Messy

8. td

td New Member

I think one of the main reasons is just plain fear. I mean it's one thing to go into prison and talk to a murderer or a child molester, but it's entirely something else when they get out and want to move into your neighborhood.

You are correct about not giving out your personal address. That would be a big NO NO.

9. NateT

NateT Member

Crossroads Bible Institute sends Bible studies into the prison that they fill out and return, CBI sends them to a grader. That might be something you could get started at the prison. http://www.crossroadbible.org/