1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Proof ALL does not mean all men

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Scott Downey, Nov 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes well this was not just everything Satan does. Job belonged to God all along. God test the faith of every man.Satan was allowed to do certain things in restriction because Job belonged to God. The things that were done ended in a blessing in the end for Job he actually ended up better off than before Satan on the other hand was made to be the no good liar that he is. Our faith is tested David some more than others. It is usually always involving Satan and the pleasures of sin.It appears to me that Faith with out it being tested cannot be trusted.
    This is not every thing Satan does He is always looking for someone to devour. He got Peter to deny Christ three times and Thomas still believed Christ was dead for eternity all of the twelve scattered like roaches when the light comes on Old Satan laughed his head off as they all headed for the hills. Yet everything ends up for good to those who believe.,
    MB

2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already addressed this Dave. It's more nuanced than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you say so.;)

But to me, it clearly says that the Gospel is hidden from them that are lost, my friend.
    I do agree that there are nuances to it...

It's not that they will believe it, but that Satan blinds them "just in case".

#63 Dave G, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And why is that? could it be because of the next verse?

14 if by any means I may provoke to emulation [them which are] my flesh, and might save some of them.
    Definition of emulation;
    A desire of preferment, or of honor; a desire of excellence or superiority. It is used in a good sense; as, emulation may spring from a laudable ambition. It denotes also an inordinate desire of power, or eminence, often accompanied with illegal means to obtain the object. It is sometimes followed by of; as, a man has an ambition of wit. Milton has used the word in the Latin sense of going about, or attempting; but this sense is hardly legitimate.
    MB

5. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the book of Job, MB.

#65 Dave G, Nov 13, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh?

You said that Romans wasn't written to Gentiles...
    I gave you a passage that clearly states that Paul was speaking to Gentiles.

#66 Dave G, Nov 13, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me where God said to Satan I give you permission to do anything. You are carrying your philosophy to far.Satan has freewill and not even you can prove differently. He may be restrained from some things this I would agree to yet he has the freedom to do what he does. You still would make God a pardner in Satan's lies. Allowing something is not permission to do it. God used Satan in the instance of Job because God knew what Satan would do and restrained him in it.
    MB

8. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here, look at this:

" Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.
    7 And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.
    8 And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that [there is] none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?
    9 Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?
    10 Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.
    11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.
    12 And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath [is] in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord."
    ( Job 1:6-12 ).

" And Satan answered the Lord, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life.
    5 But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.
    6 And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, he [is] in thine hand; but save his life."
    ( Job 2:4-6 ).
    Where ever did you get the idea, from Scripture, that Satan is any more than just a created being who is under God's rule like the rest of us?
    His freewill goes exactly as far as God allows it to go.
    See above in the Scriptures I gave.
    Those don't describe God giving Satan permission?

I believe that it is, but I can't speak for David.;)

#68 Dave G, Nov 13, 2020
  9. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Galatians 1, another proof that Jesus died for a purpose, for us, to deliver us from this present evil age.
    He gave himself for us, he did not give Himself to the unbelieving world. He did die for the believing world of the gentiles beyond the Jews to deliver them from this present evil age.
    Christ dies only for the children of the Father who are the seed of Abraham, He only aids them to salvation, Hebrews 2

To the churches of Galatia:

3 Grace to you and peace from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

12 saying:

“I will declare Your name to My brethren;
    In the midst of the assembly I will sing praise to You.”

13 And again:

“I will put My trust in Him.”

And again:

“Here am I and the children whom God has given Me.”

14 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. 16 For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham. 17 Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. 18 For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I looked at your posts and my post again, and it seems that I agree with you more than I disagree.
    My apologies for the post afterwards, sir....

Not sure what I was on about.:)

#70 Dave G, Nov 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, Scott, and well-said.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is Satan doing the blinding of those already born blind ? Why the hardening of already born hard hearts ?

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are left...in the state they were in...

and it is expressed to us, as "Why is Satan doing the blinding of those already born blind ? Why the hardening of already born hard hearts ?

Psalm 145:9.

The Lord is good to all, and his tender mercies are over all his works.

adopted from: https://www.grace-ebooks.com/library/John Gill/JG_Cause of God and Truth The.pdf

The doctrines of election and reprobation, and of particular redemption, are represented as contrary to the general mercy and the goodness of God expressed in this passage: with a view to these doctrines, it is asked by one writer, "Why is it said, that his tender mercies are over all his works if they are so restrained from his most noble creatures?"

And it is observed by another, "That it should not be said, his tender mercies are over all his works: but his cruelties are over all his works."

To which I reply,

I. That the said doctrines do not restrain the tender mercies of God in a providential way, of which this text only speaks, as will be shown hereafter, from any of his creatures;

....no, not even from the non-elect, or those who have no share in the special grace and favor of God, and who are not eventually saved; though these should not be reckoned God’s most noble creatures: for surely they are not nobler than the elect of God, or those who are saved with everlasting salvation; or nobler than the angels, who stand, and never left their first estate in which they were created.

Admitting also that these doctrines carried in them ideas of cruelty, and want of compassion in God to those who are rejected by him, and excluded from redemption by Christ; yet it should not be concluded from hence, that the cruelties of God are overall his works;

....since, according to the known tenor of these doctrines, some of God’s creatures are chosen by him to eternal life, redeemed by the blood of Christ, and shall be certainly and eternally saved.

II. The said doctrines are not expressive of cruelty in God to mankind, nor inconsistent with his goodness and mercy; nor do they represent God less good, or less merciful, than the doctrines of conditional election and universal redemption do;

....nay, they represent him more merciful than these do, since they ascertain the salvation of some, whereas these leave the salvation of every man. precarious and uncertain, if not impossible, depending upon the mutable will of the creature.

III. These words are to be understood not of special mercies, or saving benefits, bestowed by God upon any of his creatures;

....but of his providential goodness, which extends to them all, even to the brutal world, to all irrational as well as rational creatures, as appears from verses 15, 16, compared with Psalm 147:8, 9, who have no concern in election and redemption;

....so that if these words should be so understood, as to relate to the blessings of spiritual and eternal salvation, they would prove too much, more than our opponents desire;

....namely, that these blessing are provided for, and extend unto irrational creatures, yea, even to all the works of God, of every kind and sort.

Therefore, IV. The said doctrines are not at all repugnant to these universal expressions of God’s goodness and mercy; since the non-elect, or such who have no saving benefit by the death of Christ, have a share in the providential goodness and tender mercies of God; who makes his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust, and is kind to the unthankful and to the evil: nay, oftentimes the worst of men have the greatest share of the good things of this World;

.... their eyes stand out with fatness, and they have more than heart could wish: their temporal mercies are oftentimes larger than those, that the dear children of God enjoy; and therefore are not what they have in common with the brutes that perish;

God takes more care of them than of oxen, or the fowls of the air, in a providential way;

....though they despise the riches of his goodness and forbearance, and long-suffering;

....not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth them to repentance, but after their hardness and impenitent heart, treasure up unto themselves wrath against the day of wrath, and the revelation of the righteous judgment of God.

#73 Alan Gross, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  14. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a word salad?

15. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "... not of the letter, but of the Spirit: for the letter killeth, but the Spirit Giveth Life."
    2 Corinthians 3:6

16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

this present evil age

What is this? When did it begin? Why, this age, what is it's purpose?

17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You haven't proven the word all does not mean all.

18. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This current evil age began at the fall of man in Eden when death came into the world, the last enemy to be destroyed is death, so it will end at that time. The rulers of this age (who are evil) are coming to nothing.

1 Corinthians 2:6
    However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.

1 Corinthians 2:7
    But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory,

1 Corinthians 2:8
    which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

2 Corinthians 4:4
    whose minds the god of this age has blinded (the evil ruler of this age) , who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.

Ephesians 6:12
    For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Philippians 2:14-16
    New King James Version
    14 Do all things without complaining and disputing, 15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.

Jesus tells us of an age to come. As did the apostles, so it has not come yet.
    The age to come is the age of the Resurrection, This age has not yet come, that was a false teaching Paul dealt with regarding those who said the resurrection is past....

Matthew 12:32
    Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Matthew 13:39
    The enemy who sowed them is the devil, the harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are the angels.

Matthew 13:40
    Therefore as the tares are gathered and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of this age.

Matthew 13:49
    So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come forth, separate the wicked from among the just,

Luke 20:35
    But those who are counted worthy to attain that age, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage;

Luke 20:36
    nor can they die anymore, for they are equal to the angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.

Luke 18:30
    who shall not receive many times more in this present time, and in the age to come eternal life.”

1 Corinthians 10:11
    Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

Ephesians 1:21
    far above all principality and power and might and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come.

Ephesians 2:7
    that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

Hebrews 6:5
    and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,

#78 Scott Downey, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  19. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it began before the, "fall of man," and here is the reason why.

And Jesus answering said to them, 'The sons of this age do marry and are given in marriage, but those accounted worthy to obtain that age, and the rising again that is out of the dead, neither marry, nor are they given in marriage;

I believe that applied Adam and the woman taken from him and it took place before the sin.

Now I cannot say I am sure when before that, this age began. I can say for sure that I believe before God said, "Let there be light," the Son of God was going to be manifested as the Son of Man to bring about the following;
    Seeing, then, the children have partaken of flesh and blood, he himself also in like manner did take part of the same, that through death he might destroy him having the power of death -- that is, the devil -- Heb 2:14

Was man (Adam) made a little lower than the angels in order that the son of man (Jesus) could be made a little lower than the angels?

I have asked before.

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.----- Was there spiritual warfare going on at this time?------- And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. Gen 1:2,3

20. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God did not curse Satan until Genesis 3 though.
    Before the ages God ordained all things.
    No prior war between God and Satan coming before Genesis 1.
    The face of the great deep, would be like the top surface of the deep.
    The deep is a mystery to me, and is mentioned several times in scripture.
    So the earth was without form meaning it was nothing yet, before it had an existence, there was the great deep, thought of as waters.
    God separated the waters from the waters, so before the earth also there was no heaven.
    Before anything like earth or heaven it was only God and the great deep it seems to me.

6 However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.
    7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory,
    8 which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

I also believe Hell is 'under the earth' someplace down in the deep, or in the heart of the earth where is this raging fire, heat, and pressure hotter than the sun. People descend into hell, they ascend into heaven, the earth is like midgard of old norse, in the middle, middle earth in a way, a place between heaven and hell.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.