1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Proof of Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by seekingthetruth, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Encyclopedia Britannica:

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk
    http://www.guardian.co.uk

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhh, my keltic brothers....havent you learned to tell as little as possible to the Sassenagh? next they will be wanting the Guinness recipe.....Oh wait! :laugh:

3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks Herald, and Jerome, too. I know Jerome you gave links to "donnybrook" being used in two UK newspapers, but the word doesn't appear in my dictionary, and I had not encountered it before. Perhaps its use is more common in the Republic of Ireland than in the UK. Thanks again.

4. Herald

Herald New Member

David, here you go: Donnybrook

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Phil 4:7, "And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

The rationalist cannot know God because he is still at the base level of idolatry. He can only know about God.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Sandelon,

When we were discussing this topic, and I was posting verse after verse you stopped the discussion. Now you want to resume?

I believe in what the Bible says, and build doctrine based on what it says, so no verse or dozen verses need to be nullified. God says he remembers no more forever, not once but lots of times. God says He throws that knowledge into the sea, He casts it behind Him. Therefore the Bible is clear, God puts our forgiven sins our of His mind. He does not know them.

On the other hand, you have not one verse to support your unbiblical view, not one. For example, when Peter says to Jesus, you know all things, that does not refer to knowing the time of His return, so "all things" simply means all things about Peter or more broadly about those Jesus encounters. To say it means more is to rip the verse out of context. And that is exactly what the proponents of "total omniscience" have done. God said, "Now I know." indicated God learned something about Abraham by testing him, rather than searching his heart.

The number of passages that utterly invalidate your position exceeds one dozen. And on your side? Claims that God cannot do what He says, so God does not mean what He says. Fiddlesticks.

7. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I guess I'm smarter than God. There are things I remember than God doesn't. NO! Of course not. God's knowledge is of everything. Very clearly taught in the Bible.

God knows everything. To say He knows less is heretical. Van has been shown the truth about "remember no more" but he chooses to ignore that to promote is view of a not all knowing God. Not bringing to mind(remember) doesn't equal forget.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only a fool would claim they are smarter than God. His knowledge is beyond measure. But He keeps His word and means what He says.

The God of the Bible forgives our sins and remembers them no more forever.

9. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Agree!
    I agree 100%. But if you teach that God doesn't even know that I acted a certain way(sin) and I do, then I know something God doesn't know. Remember means to bring to mind in this context. Out sins our forgiven(paid at the cross) and are as if they never existed. Don't extend that too far to say that there is some limit to the knowledge of God.

As you said, God "means what He says."

good, kind reply from you btw.

10. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then wouldn't He have to first know them? Or does He know that He doesn't know them?

Or is this not what you are claiming and is God choosing to judicially forget them, that is not hold us accountable because Jesus has already paid for them?

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Martin,

We were seeking to reach a common understanding of my view of the meaning of the Greek words translated foreknow and foreknowledge. We were not discussing the scope of God's plans for redemption.

You claim God does not obtain knowledge, but in the story of Abraham, God says "Now I know" indicated He obtained knowledge. So your claim is unbiblical.

My view is based on Isaiah 47:9-11, Whatever God says He will do, He does. He means what He says. And when He says He sets the choice of life or death before us, that means He has not predestined what we will choose, because choice does not mean non-choice.

12. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I'll take this as a 'yes,' you believe God is somehow unaware of all the events throughout history which have been forgiven, which is about the most absurd conclusion I've ever heard drawn from the biblical account. How do you suppose He inspired the writing of that which he didn't know?:confused:

Now, why was it that I stopped the discussion before, hmm, let me think?

Oh, yeah, now I remember. :smilewinkgrin:

#72 Skandelon, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2011
  13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Herald,

There verses were posted to support the premise God knew everything about creation before He created creation. Thus redefining the meaning of creation to re-creation. However, comma, note that in both of these examples, something had been created, an unformed substance, and similarly, something that had not been fully formed, babies in early development. But they were alive, God had formed their human spirit within them.

The question before us is simply, when does creation start. When we make plans, or when we fulfill those plans. Are plans part of creation? Does God make plans? Please consider your position, sir.

If anyone of the dozen or so posters responding to my position have any scripture they think supports their position, please post it. I believe, after study, all you have are verses ripped out of context in support of man-made doctrine.

Show me where I am wrong.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Skandelon,

You continue to say the Bible does not mean what it says, because it is about the most absurd conclusion. However, many commentaries agree with me, and yes, I found some that agree with you.

Lets actually talk about it a bit. Lets assume that tomorrow you will sin. Now the question is since in your view, God knows everything about everything, including future things, does God know you will sin tomorrow? If He does, could not a charge be brought against you? But scripture says no charge can be brought against God's elect. So that future sin of yours is not "remembered" or else a charge could be brought against you today. You are a sinner and you are going to sin again! But no charge can be brought, because God remembers no more your sin forever.

Now I know you want to rewrite scripture after scripture and have it say I will forgive your sin and will not hold it against you forever. But that is not what it says.

Next we have God saying "now I know." So yet another verse where God obtains knowledge by testing rather than searching our heart. So again, you say this also does not mean what it says. You do know I can cite more than a dozen verses that show God makes plans, so the future is not fixed, where He reacts to behavior, punishes or relents.

Inherent Omniscience is totally biblical, your view fails to pass muster and is based on shoddy bible study.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Archangel,

The tense is past, what the Aorist tense means is it is a done deal. Give me a break.

16. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

1. No, God knows the sin I'm going to sins tomorrow because he knows everything.
    2. No charge can be brought because we our sins are paid for and we have been justified.

Again, you are changing the meaning of the term "remember no more" to have no knowledge of the event. Now, both future and past.

17. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

No, we have not been glorified yet any more than I have saved when Paul wrote those words.

18. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Can you point me to a few which actually teach that God doesn't know about Peter's sin, which He later inspires to be written down in the scriptures? How about all the sins which were forgiven but later written by inspiration. How did God inspire the writing of that which he doesn't know?

That presumes the concept of a divine all knowing God choosing not to remember is equal to 'not knowing,' which is kind of begging the question.

My comments have been limited to your view concerning God's knowledge/awareness of sins now forgiven and you have yet to answer the question I posed to you regarding how he inspires the writing of that which he doesn't know.

19. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I am up for a good game of hurling, how about you?

20. Herald

Herald New Member

I already did and you rejected it; which is your prerogative in a debate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.