1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prosecution—Biblical Age for the Earth

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Dec 29, 2011.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

That is how you do it. I understand the world according to scripture.

2. mandym

mandym New Member

You know that does not address what I said. It certainly does not suggest that scripture should be understood through the lense of science.

3. mandym

mandym New Member

Let's not denigrate this thread into childish quips.

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. quantumfaith

10 posts is all it took. :)

6. quantumfaith

And your ability to "think and rationalize".

7. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Or as has been recently discovered, the speed of light is not the absolute that Einstien predicted. Tests made in the new particle accellerator have demonstrated faster than light speeds.

If God designed the cosmos so that light appeared when created, it would seem as if light had been streaming for billions of light years before it got to us, but if God just "turned on the lights" it would be here then.

An example of this for us (though obviously our scale is far to short to comprehend the issue) is what happens when we shine a flashlight or laser into the night. Do we see a stream of light advancing as it goes deeper into the darkness or do we see a stream that goes on as far as it goes on? This has been an issue that has given cause for much experimentation over the years. Also, is light a wave or a particle? Appears to be both, yet our current state of physics stipulates that it cannot be both at once.

It appears that is just what happened, "Let there be light..." happened before the creation of the bodies that produced it. So, in essence, theories that depend on measuring the light then interpolating the dates back into time when that light was produced would give the impression of a cosmos more ancient that it may actually be.

8. quantumfaith

My assumption is that you are speaking of the "faster than light" neutrinos. If not I apologize.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/20/us-science-neutrinos-idUSTRE7AJ0ZX20111120

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you missed the point I was trying to make.

When preachinjesus referred to "reasonable people", you declared (at least the way I understood you) that reason was not a source of truth.

If reason is not a source of truth, then we cannot have knowledge or understanding of anything.

Since God wants us to love Him with our minds, as well as understand and exercise dominion over the earth, there is obviously a place for reason as a source of truth.

Saying reason is a source of truth doesn't make scripture any less relevant.

11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But it directly addresses the issue that knowledge of God can be gained through observation and analysis of the created order, which is the foundation of science.

12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

When I was translating Genesis 1 and 2 from the Hebrew back in seminary, I was trying to make Genesis 1 and 2 reconcile, but I could not. It is my understanding that in Genesis 2, the animals were created between Adam and Eve. Therefore, I changed my viewpoint as to the purpose and meaning of the text.

Many people disagree with me about it and that's okay. I have to go with what I am convinced the text actually says instead of what I want it to say. If one just looks at the English translations, they gloss over the issue (it's an interpretation) and it is easy to get the idea that there isn't a difference, but the Hebrew is not as easy to smooth over.

I agree that scripture is our guiding authority. My understanding of scripture has shaped my understanding of the earth's age. I think it is actually very old instead of just having the appearance of being very old.

13. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Then can we assume that all scientists are true believers?

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Then your understanding of Scripture is deeply flawed!

15. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Many scientists are believers, but many are not. It all depends on your presuppositions, your willingness to think independently, the evidence you have considered, whether or not you really want to know the truth, and what the Spirit has done and is doing in your life.

16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are certainly welcome to your opinion. I trust that the Spirit will correct me eventually if I am wrong, but I believe I was lead by the Spirit and the scripture to the understanding I have now.

Please pray that the Spirit will correct me if you truly believe I am in error.

17. mandym

mandym New Member

This is an informal fallacy. Reason is not the source of truth it is the mechanism by which we understand the source of truth. I was referring to science which is man made. The Word of God however is god made. Using the word reason in the way it has been manipulated in this thread ignores some facts. Our understanding of man made science must be reasoned, seen, and or understood through the lens of scripture. Not the other way around.

Again an informal fallacy

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as man uses these methods he will never have any understanding. It isn't our interpretation that matters but what God Him self reveals to us that counts as truth. Our reasoning is limited God's revealings are not limited.
    MB

19. mandym

mandym New Member

Biology Professor Pattle Pun of Wheaton College stated:

" It is apparent that the most straightforward understanding of Genesis, without regard to the hermeneutical considerations suggested by science, is that God created the heavens and the earth in six solar days, that man was created on the sixth day, and that death and chaos entered the world after the fall of Adam and Eve, and that all fossils were the result of the catastrophic deluge that spared only Noah’s family and the animals therewith".

P.P.T. Pun, Journal of the American Scientific Affiliation 39:14, 1987.

20. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is God faster than the, "neutrinos"?