1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prosperity Gospel

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From another thread:
    I do not preach prosperity gospel -
    but why do you say it leads to damnation?

Are you saying that preaching that doctrine will send you to hell?

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have found the Gospel to be very prosperous.

He owns the cattle on a thousand hills,
    The wealth in every mine;
    He owns the rivers and the rocks and rills,
    The sun and stars that shine.
    Wonderful riches, more than tongue can tell -
    He is my Father so they're mine as well;
    He owns the cattle on a thousand hills -
    I know that He will care for me.

John W. Peterson

• Like Like x 2
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I learned long ago not to share personal things here, but because the Gospel is so important, I will share this.

When I was a new Christian, I got caught up in the WoF movement. I can tell you both from experience and from study that it does NOT include the Biblical Gospel.

They preach a Jesus who is your cosmic concierge, not a Savior.

And the "Jesus Died Spiritually" heresy is enough to put them far outside the camp of orthodoxy.

5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The prosperity Gospel is sound doctrine. Modern basterdizations of it are not. If you delight yourself in The Lord, He will give you the desires of your heart. Having your desires met is prosperity. Now, most of the time your desires will be changed when you delight yourself in The Lord. Your desires will be met by God conforming your desires to His will. That is true prosperity.

#5 Reynolds, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No heresy there. Jesus said "My God, MY God, why have You forsaken me?". At that point in time He had experienced separation from The Father. By definition of spiritual death, He had experienced it.

7. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that isn't spiritual death and that's not what the JDS heresy is. The JDS heresy teach that Jesus wasn't merely "seperated" from the Father, but actually had to go to Hell, Himself, to atone for His own sins before He could be an acceptable sacrifice for ours.

Both Benny Hinn and Kenneth Copeland are very big proponents of this heresy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, claiming a new car in Jesus' name is sound doctrine?

Why the assumption that "the desires of your heart" are physical things or possessions?

9. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First off Benny Hinn and Kenneth Copeland do not define doctrine. Being on TV does not mean they are doctrine setters.Secondly, just as a side discussion because I really don't care what they think, show me where either one of them said Jesus had to atone for His own sin.

Separation from God=spiritual death.

10. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, claiming a new car probably falls under the basterdizations I very plainly mentioned.

I don't assume the desires of your heart are anything. Whatever they are, will eventually be in line with God's will if you delight yourself in Him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see reading comprehension isn't your strong point. I never said they define doctrine or set doctrine. I just said they are two examples of heretics who teach this heretical doctrine in the Prosperity/WoF cult.

You can't even read my words. Why should we think you can read theirs?

You don't get to define doctrine.

12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you have the reading comprehension problem.

13. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you also believe Jesus died spiritually, so what you believe is pretty much irrelevant, anyway.

14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Jesus was separated from The Father. That meets the classical definition of spiritual death. SNIP

#14 Reynolds, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2017
  15. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lord Jesus 'gave up His spirit' (John 19:30). Make of that what you will.

16. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The prosperity 'gospel' is an abomination. It tells people that God wants them to be rich which is by no means necessarily the case (Luke 6:20, 24; 1 Timothy 6:6-10; James 4:1-5).

It is a particular abomination in Africa, where people see the life-styles of people in the 1st world and covet them. These preachers prey on such people and rob them of their money. The result of P.G. in Africa is that when it doesn't work, the people either stop believing in Christ, or they decide that God needs a little help and turn to crime. Here's a link to a blog post by Conrad Mbewe, a Baptist minister in Zambia-- 'The African Spurgeon.' http://www.conradmbewe.com/2011/02/nigerian-religious-junk.html It's not specifically about P.G. but it's an interesting read nonetheless. There is another article you can link to on 'motivational preaching' which shows that Joel Osteen has reached Africa.

Will preaching it lead to damnation? Read Ezekiel 34:1-10 and James 3:1 and make your own mind up.

17. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like that that turn of phrase. My favorite term is to call their God a heavenly ATM. Punch in the right password and He spits out blessings.

The prosperity gospel is a heresy, that is, it is in contradiction to the plain teaching of the New Testament. Christ told his disciples they would be persecuted for the sake of the Gospel. Paul prayed for healing for a "thorn in his flesh" and was denied, and wrote that he would be content in whatever condition he found himself in. Almost all the Apostles died as martyrs, as did thousands of other Christians in the early days.

Say this prayer, name it and claim it, and your material position will be improved is nowhere taught in the New Testament. You're sick and you're not healed? You must not have enough faith. You're poor? Surely you haven't taken advantage of God's promises because he wants everyone to be rich.

Gag me with a spoon. (Showing my age there.)

Never mind that Christ repeatedly railed against the pursuit of material wealth and warned that the rich had no easy road to salvation. Camels and needles and all that.

Yes, the infinite God of the universe is truly an ATM — for those who want to fleece the flock. Peter was told to feed the sheep; prosperity gospel preacher think they're the ones who should be fed.

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I find odd is that most seem to Characterize WOF as Kenneth Copeland and Benny Hinn. If you honestly want to do that, you should also define Baptists by the most far out and goofy Baptist preacher you can find.
    Very few people teach the original WOF doctrine, but in its unbasterdized form it is nothing but Classical Arminianism with an emphasis added on our behavior being essential to the manifestation of the perfect will of God in our lives. It teaches nothing, despite our actions, will take place unless it is inside the will of God.