1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Proverbs 31

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by donnA, Nov 30, 2001.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

So I guess here we go.
    Read it, meditate on it, pray over it. Take a day or two if you need it(I will), then post on what you've just read. We'll throw these verses around one at a time and see what we come up with.

Since weekends are long for me, it may be monday now before I can post, but don't wait, go ahead, someone else can go first.

Here is your first verses ladies.

Pro.31:10-12, I think is a good start, these three seemed to go together and I hated to break them up. You can in discussion if you want.

[​IMG]

2. Joy

Joy New Member

Katie, since this topic isn't a "private" one, would you mind if I moved it out to the other ladies forum, so that all the ladies may participate, or would you rather that no gentlemen were allowed?

3. JB

JB New Member

Wasn't sure if I should post here or at the other women's forum...

There is a wonderful book and Bible study about the passage of Scripture you are speaking about Katie and it is by Elisabeth George and it is called "Beautiful in God's Eyes". I would highly recommend it.

Jane.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Joy, if you'd like to mmove it so other ladies can who haven't gotten the password yet can participate, thats fine. I would like to keep ot women only though. I'd like women's views on this subject.

5. Joy

Joy New Member

Ladies, this topic was moved out here so that our newcomers could also participate in the discussion. ;)

There is much in Proverbs 31 for us to learn!

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Ok, I found these and guess I go first since no one else has. Help me out on this.

A sampling of my copy and paste skills at their best(only joking here).

What I've found so far. You all add to this what your thoughts are on this.

Proverbs 31:10
    10 Who can find a £virtuous wife?
    For her worth is far above rubies.NKJV
    10Who can find a virtuous and capable wife? She is worth more than precious rubies NLT

Strongs
    2428 virtuous= probably a force, whether of men, means or other resources; an army, wealth, virtue, valor, strength:-able, activity, (+) army, band of men (soldiers), company, (great) forces, goods, host, might, power, riches, strength, strong, substance, train, (+) valiant (-ly), valour, virtuous (-ly), war, worthy (-ily).
    4377 price=merchandise; also value:pay, price, ware.

11 The heart of her husband safely trusts her;
    So he will have no lack of gain.NKJV
    11Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life.NLT
    Strongs
    982 trust=A primitive root; properly to hie for refuge (but not so precipitately as H2620); figuratively to trust, be confident or sure:-be bold (confident, secure, sure), careless (one, woman), put confidence, (make to) hope, (put, make to) trust.
    2637 need= A primitive root; to lack; by implication to fail, want, lessen:-be abated, bereave, decrease, (cause to) fail, (have) lack, make lower, want.

12 She does him good and not evil
    All the days of her life.NKJV

NLT version=12She will not hinder him but help him all her life.

Strongs
    1580 she will do=A primitive root; to treat a person (well or ill), that is, benefit or requite; by implication (of toil) to ripen, that is, (specifically) to wean:-bestow on, deal bountifully, do (good), recompense, requite, reward, ripen, + serve, wean, yield.

7451 evil=adversity, affliction, bad, calamity,displease,distress, harm, mischief, (-vous), misery, naught (-ty), noisome,(I copied those that seemed to apply here)

Mathew Henry
    Verses 10-31
    This is the description of a virtuous woman of those days, but the general outlines equally suit every age and nation. She is very careful to recommend herself to her husband’s esteem and affection, to know his mind, and is willing that he rule over her. (rest of this article later)

So lets put it all together, and find out it says about us as women and wives.

Your turn.

7. Joy

Joy New Member

That's great exegesis, Katie! Keep it coming!

I'll just add a couple of cross references.

Ruth 3:11, and Proverbs 12:4.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Great thanks Joy, I'll read those before my next post, anything you can throw in do it. I need all the help I can get.

9. Joy

Joy New Member

I'd like to add an application of verse 12 if I may.

Many times, ladies are tempted to "talk" to mom, or to another girlfriend about hubby, in a not so postive light, under the guise of needing advise. Other things we sometimes do, is contradict, correct, or belittle him in public.

As hard as it is, it is a wise and prudent wife who holds her tongue and allows the Holy Sprit to convict and guide her husband, without bad-mouthing or complaining to someone else about his bad habits. This shows respect and honor. A woman who never speaks ill of her husband, elevates him to a place of honor.

I am impressed with Laura Bush in this respect. She asked her mother-in-law, former First Lady, Barbara Bush for some advice when she entered into the White House. Barbara told her not to criticize her husband. Instead, she stands behind him (figurativiely speaking) and in so doing, she honors him!

10. Joy

Joy New Member

Isn't it wonderful how well the Bible correlates everything so that there are no contradictions in it! If you remember a while back , we discussed modesty, and discovered that it had far more to do with the inner woman, than just merely what she adorned her outer person with. This very much correlates with Proverbs 31!

I Tim. 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness (aidos - reverence towards God, bashfulness or modesty towards men) and sobriety (sophrosune - soundness of mind, sanity, self control, also moderate as to opinion or passion); not with broided (braided) hair, or gold, or costly array; but (which becometh women professing godliness) good works.

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: Joy ]

11. JB

JB New Member

SOME THOUGHTS ABOUT BEING A VIRTUOUS WOMAN

· Proverbs 31 came from a woman giving advice to her son on how to find and outstanding wife.
    · A virtuous woman is a rare treasure.
    · Who would be more equipped to show us what a beautiful woman is in God’s eyes then another woman?
    · A virtuous woman is one of character and we can be that virtuous woman.
    · We are not just to admire this woman of Proverbs 31 but we can be her.
    · The Lord shows us in the Scriptures that a virtuous woman can be attained.
    ~~Ruth 3:11 tells us that Ruth was a virtuous woman.
    ~~Proverbs 12:4 tells us that the virtuous woman is a crown to her husband.
    ~~Proverbs 31:29 tells us that MANY daughters have done virtuously—MANY!!!!
    · A virtuous woman is a rare treasure but according to the Word of God we can become that woman.~~YES! We can be virtuous women.

12. Grace

Grace New Member

Verse 10--an excellent wife, who can find? that's it...the guys are supposed to be doing the looking, not us. That's difficult for me sometimes because I want to know what is going on
    Her worth is above rubies-Ok so virtuous women are hard to find. Should it be this way, or should it actually be easy to find an excellent wife. Maybe it would be easier for the guys if we acted like what we are supposed to be.

A husband can trust his wife. So, we should always be faithful to our men. (even before we know them. We should keep our hearts and not just our bodies pure)

"She does him good and not harm all the days of her life." Most of you know my take on this. I'm committed to loving the man God has chosen for me now, before I know who he is by staying pure in body, heart, and mind, so that he will have a precious treasure in me. I'm so glad to have the chance to learn and develope these qualities before I am married.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

Joy, I liked your post.
    After 21 yrs, amrriage, I still haven't talked to my mom about my husband. But I want to make sure I don't do the rest of it(the in public). See we've learned something already.

14. Joy

Joy New Member

To bring this home even further, my biggest pet peave is when my children act up in public, and he doesn't see it right away. (Men are just not in tune with things like that as fast at times :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I didn't say that to complain about hubby. It is me that must learn not to prod him in public to do something with his offspring! [​IMG] I have been tempted, and even said things like, "Come on, can't you see that!!?" [​IMG] ;)

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

New verses for the next discussion.
    here they are: Pro.31:13,14,15.
    Read these and come back with what you've found.

I might now be able to post tomorrow, or want to do the study like the forst verses tomorrw, as we go to court tomorrow with our son, and I may not even be on line at all. Which is first for me, a record maybe, I'm on line everyday.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Here you the next three verses. Any and all comments please. I'm going to wait till the end and put together everyone's comments witht the study and see I have.

Part 2

13 She seeks wool and flax,
    And willingly works with her hands. NKJV

13She finds wool and flax and busily spins it. NLT

6593 Flax-From the same as H6580 as in the sense of comminuting; linen (that is, the thread, as carded):-flax, linen. (never knew just what flax was).
    2656 willingly-From H2654; pleasure; hence (abstractly) desire; concretely a valuable thing; hence (by extension) a matter (as something in mind):-acceptable, delight (-some), desire, things desired, matter, pleasant (-ure), purpose, willingly.

14 She is like the merchant ships,
    She brings her food from afar. NKJV

14She is like a merchant’s ship; she brings her food from afar. NLT

5503 merchant-saw-khar'
    A primitive root; to travel round (specifically as a pedlar); intensively to
    palpitate:-go about, merchant (-man), occupy with, pant, trade, traffick.
    4801 afar-From H7368; remoteness, that is, (concretely) a distant place; often (adverbially) from afar:- (a, dwell in, very) far (country, off). See also H1023.

15 She also rises while it is yet night,
    And provides food for her household,
    And a portion for her maidservants. NKJV

15She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household and plan the day’s work for her servant girls. NLT

6965 rises-A primitive root; to rise (in various applications, literally, figuratively, intensively and causatively):-abide, accomplish, X be clearer, confirm, continue, enjoin, get up, make good, help, hold, (help to) lift up (again), make, X but newly, ordain, perform, pitch, raise (up), rear (up), remain, (a-) rise (up) (again, against), rouse up, set (up), (e-) stablish, (make to) stand (up), stir up, strengthen, succeed, (as-, make) sure (-ly), (be) up (-hold, -rising).
    5414- provides/giveth in KJV-A primitive root; to give, used with great latitude of application (put, make, etc.):-add, apply, appoint, ascribe, assign,bestow, bring (forth, hither), cast, cause, charge, come, commit consider, count, + cry, deliver (up), direct, distribute
    2964 meat-From H2963; something torn, that is, a fragment, for example a fresh leaf, prey, food:-leaf, meat, prey, spoil.(2963, supply with food).
    1004 household-abbreviated; a house (in the greatest variation of applications, especially family, etc.):-court, daughter, door, + dungeon, family, + forth of, X great as would contain, hangings. home[born], [winter]house (-hold), inside(-ward), palace, place, + prison, + steward, + tablet, temple, web, + within (-out).
    2706 portion-an enactment; hence an appointment (of time, space, quantity, labor or usage):-appointed, bound, commandment, convenient, custom, decree (-d), due, law, measure, X necessary, ordinance (-nary), portion, set time, statute, task.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

Just wanted to get this moved back to the top so we might get started again. If any of the new ladies are interested that would be great, just thrown in with us.

18. Love43

Love43 New Member

I am really enjoying reading these posts. You guys have a lot of insight into womanhood.

Praise the Lord for you all! :D

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

Is anyone interedted?

20. Sid

Sid New Member

I am also learning a lot from Proverbs 31. Thanks ladies for this topic and the great views you have brought out. God bless.