1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured PSA In The Early Church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Feb 23, 2022.

1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    PSA In The Early Church

Penal substitutionary Atonement refers to the doctrine that Christ died on the cross as a substitute for sinners. God imputed the guilt of our sins to Christ, and he, in our place, bore the punishment that we deserve. This was a full payment for sins, which satisfied both the wrath and the righteousness of God, so that He could forgive sinners without compromising His own holy standard.

Ignatius (died 110)

“Now, He suffered all these things for our sakes, that we might be saved. And He suffered truly, even as also He truly raised up Himself, not, as certain unbelievers maintain, that He only seemed to suffer, as they themselves only seem to be [Christians]. And as they believe, so shall it happen unto them, when they shall be divested of their bodies, and be mere evil spirits” (To the Smyrnaeans, ch. 2)

Polycarp(69-155)

“I have greatly rejoiced with you in our Lord Jesus Christ, because you have followed the example of true love [as displayed by God], and have accompanied, as became you, those who were bound in chains, the fitting ornaments of saints, and which are indeed the diadems of the true elect of God and our Lord; and because the strong root of your faith, spoken of in days Philippians 1:5 long gone by, endures even until now, and brings forth fruit to our Lord Jesus Christ, who for our sins suffered even unto death, [but] whom God raised from the dead, having loosed the bands of the grave” (To the Philippians, ch. 1)

Clement of Rome (written about 96)

“Because of the love that he had for us, Jesus Christ our Lord, in accordance with God’s will, gave his blood for us, and his flesh for our flesh, and his life for our lives” (1 Clem. 49:6)

Justin Martyr (100-165)

Justin: For the whole human race will be found to be under a curse. For it is written in the law of Moses, 'Cursed is every one that continues not in all things that are written in the book of the law to do them.' Deuteronomy 27:26 And no one has accurately done all, nor will you venture to deny this; but some more and some less than others have observed the ordinances enjoined. But if those who are under this law appear to be under a curse for not having observed all the requirements, how much more shall all the nations appear to be under a curse who practise idolatry, who seduce youths, and commit other crimes? If, then, the Father of all wished His Christ for the whole human family to take upon Him the curses of all, knowing that, after He had been crucified and was dead, He would raise Him up, why do you argue about Him, who submitted to suffer these things according to the Father's will, as if He were accursed, and do not rather bewail yourselves? For although His Father caused Him to suffer these things in behalf of the human family, yet you did not commit the deed as in obedience to the will of God. For you did not practise piety when you slew the prophets. And let none of you say: If His Father wished Him to suffer this, in order that by His stripes the human race might be healed, we have done no wrong. If, indeed, you repent of your sins, and recognise Him to be Christ, and observe His commandments, then you may assert this; for, as I have said before, remission of sins shall be yours. But if you curse Him and them that believe in Him, and, when you have the power, put them to death, how is it possible that requisition shall not be made of you, as of unrighteous and sinful men, altogether hard-hearted and without understanding, because you laid your hands on Him?” (Dialogue with Trypho; Chapter 95. Christ took upon Himself the curse due to us)

Epistle to Diognetus (150-225 AD)

But [God] was patient, he bore with us, and out of pity for us took our sins upon himself. He gave up his own Son as a ransom for us, the holy one for the lawless, the innocent one for the wicked, the righteous one for the unrighteous, the imperishable one for the perishable, the immortal one for the mortal. (9.2)

For what else could hide our sins but the righteousness of that one? How could we who were lawless and impious be made upright except by the son of God alone? Oh the sweet exchange! . . . That the lawless deeds of many should be hidden by the one who was upright, and the righteousness of one should make upright the many who were lawless! (9.3-5)

Eusebius (260-339)

“But since being in the likeness of sinful flesh He condemned sin in the flesh, the words quoted are rightly used. And in that He made our sins His own from His love and benevolence towards us, He says these words, adding further on in the same Psalm: “Thou hast (b) protected me because of my innocence,” clearly shewing the impeccability of the Lamb of God. And how can He make our sins His own, and be said to bear our iniquities, except by our being regarded as His body, according to the apostle, who says: “Now ye are the body of Christ, and severally members?” And by the rule that “if one member suffer all the members suffer with it,” so when the many members suffer and sin, He too by the laws of (c) sympathy (since the Word of God was pleased to take the form of a slave and to be knit into the common tabernacle of us all) takes into Himself the labours of the suffering members, and makes our sicknesses His, and suffers all our woes and labours by the laws of love. And the Lamb of God not only did this, but was chastised on our behalf, (d) and suffered a penalty He did not owe, but which we owed because of the multitude of our sins; and so He became the cause of the forgiveness of our sins, because He received death for us, and transferred to Himself the scourging, the insults, and the dishonour, which were due to us, and drew down on Himself the apportioned curse, being made a curse for us. And what is that but the price of our 196 souls? And so the oracle says in our person: “By his stripes we were healed,” and “The Lord delivered him for our sins,” with the result that uniting Himself to us and us to Himself, and appropriating our sufferings” (Proof of the Gospel, Book X, ch.1)

Athanasius (293-373)

“But since it was necessary also that the debt owing from all should be paid again, for…it was owing that all should die…he next offered up his sacrifice also on behalf of all, yielding his temple to death in the stead of all, in order firstly to make men quit and free of their old trespass, and further to show himself more powerful even than death, displaying his own body incorruptible as first fruits of the resurrection of all” (On the Incarnation 20)

Hilary of Poitiers (300-368)

It was always necessary to go through this whole sacrificial action because the addition of a curse to the commandment forbad any trifling with the obligation of the offering. It was from this curse that our Lord Jesus Christ redeemed us, when, as the Apostle says, “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, being made curse for us, for it is written: Cursed is every one who hangeth on a tree.” Thus He offered Himself to the death of the accursed that He might break the curse of the Law, offering Himself voluntarily a victim to God the Father, in order that by means of a voluntary victim the curse which attended the discontinuance of the regular victim might be removed…Of which offering the holy Apostle thus speaks: “This He died once for all when He offered Himself up,” securing complete salvation for the human race by the offering of this holy, perfect victim.” (Homilies on the Psalms, Psalm 54, Chap. 13)

Gregory Nazianzus (330-390)

“But look at it in this manner: that as for my sake He was called a curse, Who destroyed my curse; and sin, who takes away the sin of the world; and became a new Adam to take the place of the old, just so He makes my disobedience His own as Head of the whole body. As long then as I am disobedient and rebellious, both by denial of God and by my passions, so long Christ also is called disobedient on my account...But as I said, He was in His own Person representing us. For we were the forsaken and despised before, but now by the Sufferings of Him Who could not suffer, we were taken up and saved. Similarly, He makes His own our folly and our transgressions; and says what follows in the Psalm, for it is very evident that the Twenty-first Psalm refers to Christ” (The Fourth Theological Oration. V)

Augustine (354-430)

“So sin means both a bad action deserving punishment, and death the consequence of sin. Christ has no sin in the sense of deserving death, but He bore for our sakes sin in the sense of death as brought on human nature by sin. This is what hung on the tree; this is what was cursed by Moses. Thus was death condemned that its reign might cease, and cursed that it might be destroyed. By Christ's taking our sin in this sense, its condemnation is our deliverance, while to remain in subjection to sin is to be condemned..The apostle boldly says of Christ, "He was made a curse for us;" for he could also venture to say, "He died for all." "He died," and "He was cursed," are the same. Death is the effect of the curse; and all sin is cursed, whether it means the action which merits punishment, or the punishment which follows. Christ, though guiltless, took our punishment, that He might cancel our guilt, and do away with our punishment...You will not allow that He was cursed for us, because you will not allow that He died for us” Contra Faustum, Book XIV. 3, 4, 6)

“For even the Lord was subject to death, but not on account of sin: He took upon Him our punishment, and so looses our guilt” (On Psalm 51)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent! Thank you so much for that.
    I had said that I would provide these and similar extracts fro the Church Fathers, but due to pressure of church and family life I have hardly made a start.
    I will just add one more to your splendid list:

Irenaeus (c. 130-200 AD)
    "The Lord [Jesus] redeemed us by His blood and gave His life for our life, his flesh for our flesh, and poured out the Spirit of the Father to unite us and reconcile God and man."

"...The Lord restored us to friendship through His incarnation, becoming the 'mediator between God and man.' On our behalf He propitiated the Father, against whom we had sinned, and cancelled our disobedience by His obedience, restoring us to fellowship with our Maker and submission to Him" [Adversus Haereses, v]

Thanks again.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exellent! thanks, I was looking for Irenaeus but forgot. Old age :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @SavedByGrace and @Martin Marprelate

Amazingly, do you not know the rest concerning PSA theory, for it contains far more than what you stated it does?

Not one of the above quotes is an example of the PSA theory!

What you posted is a small portion of the theory of which nearly ALL theories do ascribe as to the suffering and curse of the Saviour, if they do not they are heretical..

Because a an expression containing the presentation that the messiah suffered and was cursed does NOT oblige a statement to be PSA!

HOW AND WHY of the suffering messiah distinguishes PSA from others.

But thank you for demonstrating the PSA was not taught by the early church.

Is this the reason you are stumbling and struggling to find something Scriptural about PSA ?

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    You refuse to accept what the Bible actually says

• Like Like x 1
  6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No true.

My you are grasping!

Try this out.

Show us plainly what you consider PSA theory to be. List it out in steps. Then show how the Scriptures agree.

I have wondered for some time if you and others really knew the substance of the theory as opposed to what you have agreed to it as being.

Let me give you a start:

"I was ask to present the Penal Substitution Atonement Theory developed by the reformers. Here are the main points with Scripture support.

And so forth. :)

7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is from Theopedia and what strong supporters think needs to be presented concerning PSA theory:
    It is worth noting that a number of the critiques or cautions regarding Penal Substitution come from those who embrace it. Major proponents of Penal Substitution such as J. I. Packer, and James Denney have all critiqued various aspects of Penal Substitution.

• Packer critiques any attempt to found it solely on human models of retributive justice and suggests that it be seen not as a mechanical explanation (how it works) but rather kerygmatically (what it means to us). ^[1]^

• Denney critiques the idea that it is merely forensic and judicial, saying that these are impersonal cold terms. "Few things have astonished me more than to be charged with teaching a 'forensic' or 'legal' or 'judicial' doctrine of Atonement... There is nothing that I should wish to reprobate more whole-heartedly than the conception which is expressed by these words"^[2]^
    However, these critiques are not aimed at debunking the theory, but rather to rescue it from its "cruder" forms of expression. (https://www.theopedia.com/penal-substitutionary-atonement)
    What are the "'cruder' forms of expression?" It does not explain.

What the writing does state is this:
    A majority of Evangelical theologians while they would give primacy to the Penal Substitution view acknowledge that Scripture has a number of ways of speaking of the atonement, of which Penal Substitution is one of many theories. One prominent example being John Stott in his classic "The Cross of Christ" ^[4]^

Other Evangelical theologians go a step further, while still affirming Penal Substitution, they have come to view the Christus Victor view of the Atonement as more central because it goes beyond dealing only with man's sin and speaking of God's victory over the whole cosmos. One example of this is Gregory Boyd in his book "God at War"^[5]^. Scot McKnight for example writes,

"What I want to say is not that this theory is wrong... I want to say is that the atonement is so much more than this. And, if it is so much more than this, then it follows that using “penal substitution” as our guiding term is inadequate and misleads others. At the least, it does not provide enough information to explain what one really believes occurs in the Atonement"^ [6]^
    (https://www.theopedia.com/penal-substitutionary-atonement)​

It is comically sad when I have read on some posts the position that PSA is the "only" one the Scriptures support.

8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is an article from the Professor Emeritus in which he discusses the PSA.

HOWEVER, he neglects to recall that ALL basic theories ascribe to the penal suffering of Christ in either a matter of satisfaction and/ or substitution.

He does not seem to present (unless I mis-read) that the PSA attribute of divine justice brutalizing the Son is not found in Scripture.

Read it for your self. I don't mind being wrong, but PSA is wrong.

Historical Reflections on Substitutionary Atonement - Fuller Studio

10. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your problem and @JonC's problem seems to be that you have made up your own 'Penal Substitution Theory' which is a caricature of the true doctrine. You have spoken repeatedly of God the Father 'brutalizing' the Son, as if He was poking Him with a toasting fork as He hung on the cross. I have never read of any advocate of Penal Substitution suggesting such a thing.

I have quoted the following definition of Penal Substitution at least twenty times over the past five or six years, and I have never suggested that it is incorrect in any way. 'The doctrine of Penal Substitution states that God gave Himself in the person of His Son to suffer instead of us the death, punishment and curse due to fallen humanity as the penalty of sin.'

That is not something I wrote myself; It comes, as I have repeatedly made clear, from Pierced for our Transgressions by Ovey, Jeffrey and Sach (IVP, 2007). All the quotations from the ECFs that @SavedByGrace produced in the OP are compliant with this definition, but not necessarily with the caricature being peddled by @JonC and yourself.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem seems to lay in the fact that humans created labels for nuanced differences regarding the atonement. Therefore one will never find these titles in the early writings. It's like trying to find the word, trinity, in the Bible. You won't find the term, but you do find God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit in the Bible.
    We do find that Christ became the curse (or took the curse) for us in his sacrificial atonement. Personally, the exact title is not worth a fight. I had never read of Christus Victor before, but it does a nice job of connecting Christ to the foreshadowed work of Moses and the Passover Lamb as the Lamb which was substituted for the first born in the household of Israel.
    These are wonderful thoughts and lift up Christ our Redeemer.

12. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I made a post by mistake on this thread. I have re-posted it on the 'Atonement continued' thread.

#12 Martin Marprelate, Feb 23, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brian Arnold wrote (in part Penal Substitution in the Early Church)
    And here we must navigate between two wrong ideas. The first error, which is the most common among scholars, is to suggest that the early church never spoke of penal substitution, which I hope to dispel. The second error, more common among evangelicals, is to overstate the case and read penal substitution into texts.
    He is correct in that physical suffering has always been a part of the truth.

Parker wrote (in part http://www.newhopefairfax.org/files/Packer Penal substitution revisited.pdf)
    The incarnational principle is that when the Son took to himself all the powers and capacities for experience that belong to human nature, and began to live through his human body, mind and identity, his sense of being the Father’s Son was unaffected, and he knew and did his Father’s will, aided by the Spirit, at all times. It was with his own will and his own love mirroring the Father’s, therefore, that he took the place of human sinners exposed to divine judgment and laid down his life as a sacrifice for them, entering fully into the state and experience of death that was due to them. Then he rose from death to reign by the Father’s appointment in the kingdom of God. From his throne he sent the Spirit to induce faith in himself and in the saving work he had done, to communicate forgiveness and pardon, justification and adoption, to the penitent, and to unite all believers to himself to share his risen life in foretaste of the full life of heaven that is to come. Since all this was planned by the holy Three in their eternal solidarity of mutual love, and since the Father’s central purpose in it all was and is to glorify and exalt the Son as Saviour and Head of a new humanity, smartypants notions like ‘divine child abuse’, as a comment on the cross, are supremely silly, and as irrelevant and wrong as they could possibly be.
    What Packer relates as “exposed to divine judgement” is the very problem of PSA.

It is not “…smartypants notions like ‘divine child abuse’, as a comment on the cross, are supremely silly, and as irrelevant and wrong as they could possibly be.” But serious dialogue from the advocates of PSA that are not found in Scripture!

God cannot have a divided Trinity. Divine satisfaction not judgement was the crucifixion.

Jesus the Christ is totally the Son of man and the Son of The Father, inseparable.

The Saviour did not go to the place of torment referred to as hell, but to paradise.

So Packer is wrong, not often, but in this matter certainly.

14. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

IF there was no Psa, Christ cannot be victorious!

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  16. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well...since I have never heard of the guy...chalk me up as a hard no.

17. JesusFan

Jesus suffered as lost sinners will ion hell, as he took upon Himself the wrath and Judgement due to us by a Holy Father, but He did not go to Hell after death, as that is WoF heresy, but did experience upon that Cross all hell entails for lost sinners!

18. JesusFan

Yes, as he and NT Wright both call Psa view pagan, and makes Jesus to have "Cosmic child abuse"

19. JesusFan

He views parrot NT Wright

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    With respect, this is simply surmising. There is no evidence in scripture for this.