1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Publications House Start Up "How To?"

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gentlemen,

I have been approached, b/c of my limited academic and publishing experience, to help start a publishing company.

I was wondering if any of you might have experience in this area and could "end an opinion."

All thoughts welcome, even ideas of what to consider, watch out for, and not to do.

Let me have it!!

"That is all!"

PS. If an administrator needs to move this then I will understand. But I think this can fall into the Seminary/College thread?

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there need for another business of this sort?

Can you make money? (With Amazon.com doing free do it yourself publishing print on deman and offering your work online.)

:wavey:

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, I have no experience in this area. However it does remind me that I need to start working towards getting published. It is sort of a requirement that I keep putting off. Not good :laugh:. I've been thinking about editing my graduate research on Puritan Missionaries and King Philip's War and looking into submitting it to different journals (one at a time, of course). I'm also thinking about putting together a biography (book). I have several possible subjects in mind, but I think I should focus on the articles first.

God bless you in your new venture. :thumbs:

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Solicitation of MSSs

To all who might have an interest:

The name of the company will be Border Stone Publications. The idea is taken from the "land mark" concept of the KJ Version of "remove not thy neighbor's land mark."

I may be soliciting MSSs shortly, if anyone would like to talk, please call me at 901.752.4580.

"That is all!" :thumbsup:

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Rhet.

I've had some experience in publishing, both in English and Japanese. I may be able to help some.

Can you narrow down your OP somewhat? You may need to ask about:
    1. personnel (editors, proofers, typesetters, printers, etc.)
    2. philosophy (vanity publisher, house publisher, publisher for profit or ministry, etc.)
    3. Physical aspects: the plant, what kind of press, book formats, etc.