1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Purchase Rare Version?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by DeclareHim, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Does anyone know where I can purchase a copy of the English Revised Version of 1885? The only authorized revision of the KJV. I have googled it and still cannot find anyone that sells it. Do you guys have any idea's? Thanks!

2. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I have Metzger's book 'The Bible in Translation: Ancient and English Translations' in his review of English versions the ERV seems to read worse than the ASV :eek: . My main reason to purchase it would be for the sake of having the Bible that Westcott and Hort worked on.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I have an 1881 parallel KJV/ERV NT published by Oxford in 1882. Don't want to sell it though ;) .

4. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Nice! I would like the version with Apocrypha. How much change is there between the ERV and the KJV? Is it a great deal different?

5. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes there are parallel Bible editions of the 1881 English Revised Version along with the KJV offered for sale on ebay.

6. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Ok thanks. I wonder why no one prints the ERV today? I know you can still purchase the Geneva, Tyndale and other old English translations I just can't figure out why know one doesn't print the ERV.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

They must not be too hard to find, or I am just "lucky" ;) . I just realised I have two parallel KJV/ERV editions.

1881 Published by Porter and Coats in Philadelphia
    1882 Pocket sized edition published by Oxford University Press

The pocket edition has extensive marginal notes, the Porter and Coats edition has less extensive footnotes. I came across both of them in old bookstores, one in Belfast and one in Cardigan, Wales.

I read that the ASV was simply the American version of this, but am not certain.

The ERV is drastically different than the KJV. I think I read that there are more than 5000 textual differences.

[ February 18, 2006, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: C4K ]

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hi, DeclareHim!

I too have been looking for a print copy of the 1881/1885 RV for some time now. I was once able to hold a copy of a parallel KJV/RV in my hands and check it out. The copy was old and had pages missing, but it belonged to someone I know in Tennessee and was not for sale. One reason the RV is so hard to find for us here in the good old US of A is because we're in the wrong county. [​IMG] The RV was released in England (NT 1881, entire Bible 1885). Americans on the translation committee had some differences in opinion with the English members of the committee. The American translators decided to publish their own version, but they agreed to wait at least 14 years before publishing their version. This is how the American Standard Version of 1901 came about - it is the work of the American members of the translation committee that worked on the earlier Revised Version. You can find the ASV once again in print here in the US, but this is the Americanized version of the RV. The ASV is also available online at some Bible web sites like StudyLight.org. I hope this helps.

9. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Right-o, Roger! The ASV is the Americanized version of the 1881/1885 RV (see previous post). I really can't comment on the number of differences between the KJV and the RV, but the KJV is based on the Greek of the Textus Receptus or Received Text while the RV/ASV is based on the 19th century Westcott/Hort Greek text, but that's another can of worms altogether. ;)

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Hi, DeclareHim!

I too have been looking for a print copy of the 1881/1885 RV for some time now. I was once able to hold a copy of a parallel KJV/RV in my hands and check it out. The copy was old and had pages missing, but it belonged to someone I know in Tennessee and was not for sale. One reason the RV is so hard to find for us here in the good old US of A is because we're in the wrong county. [​IMG] The RV was released in England (NT 1881, entire Bible 1885). StudyLight.org. I hope this helps.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I can't believe I have two copies. And one of them, as I mentioned above, was published and printed in Philadelphia.

The pocket edition is in pretty rough shape, but the full sized is in excellent shape. Both have all the pages and every page can be read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.