1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about Greek word in Rev. 10:11

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Beth, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Beth

Beth New Member

I'm looking at the Greek word 1909 epi epi ep-ee’

a root; ; prep

AV-on 196, in 120, upon 159, unto 41, to 41, misc 339; 896

1) upon, on, at, by, before
    2) of position, on, at, by, over, against
    3) to, over, on, at, across, against

Could Revelation 10:11 read: And he said unto me, Thou must prophesy again against (or at) many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings.

My translation translates epi as "before"....but I am wondering if it is more consistent with the text that John is to prophesy against (or at) these people.

Any ideas, Greek people, lol??

Thanks!
    Beth

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Um, yes.

The preaching is for those who align with it, and against those who fall short of the intent of the preaching, but is before them all in attendence.

It's like when the preacher preaches on hell; it gives me the chance to be certain my salvation is secure unto the day of redemption, being sealed by the Holy Ghost. Others who are living contrary to what salvation reveals in a person are either reproven for their error or enlightened to the need for salvation.

So the preaching in all situations is before, at, and against; which ultimately is for all of us.:godisgood:

(Now, if some people would just get ahold of that over in the BV&T section!:laugh: )

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Beth.

This preposition can mean "against," and is used that way several times in the KJV. (See Matt. 26:55 and Luke 12:52 for examples.) The translator basically has to look at the grammar and context of the passage and make his or her decision based on that.

Myself, I'd stick with "before" in Rev. 10:11 because of the context of the whole book of Revelation. In other words, after this John does not prophesy against peoples, nations tongues and kings. Old Testament prophets often prophesied against specific nations and kings, but John does not in Revelation. He simply relates what is going to happen to the whole world.

4. Beth

Beth New Member

ah, ok!!!!

Thank you, both Salamander and John!

The reason I was considering against, is that the next chapter God speaks of those who are trampling the holy city. 1 ¶ And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.
    2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

The holy city I take to be Jerusalem, in which the two witnesses will be prophesying specifically to unsaved Israel during the Trib.

There are only a few other places in the rest of Revelation where nations, peoples, etc., are mentioned....

Re 11:9 And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves.
    Re 14:6 ¶ And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
    Re 17:15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

Especially considering this little interlude of John eating the book and then being told to prophesy seems to occur "7 But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets."

I'm trying to have another go at studying Revelation, but it is going very slowly!

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Your sis in Christ,
    Beth

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to help, sis. Revelation is a real blessing when we can rightly divide it! :type:

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Studying Revelation should be done very slowly and without too much influence beyond what we already know to be true.

Too much supposition has been done and that has allowed much argument over specific future events.

We can be sure of everything to happen and most of what is already certain according to other scriptures. It is a wonderful Book of the Canon.:godisgood: