1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question regarding Acts and books of Timothy

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Dianna, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Dianna

Dianna New Member

I was told that Acts refers to End Times, which I was told we are in now..and that the books of Timothy are for when it was written up until End times. Any views on this? End Times is a whole other topic that confusses me, but just trying to work through things on bit at time that is being said to me. Hope this question isn't too confusing.

Dianna

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Acts is a book that blends the offer of the kingdom to the Jews only with the Gentiles now being able to accept the offer of the kingdom. It speaks to that transition period.

I guess I don't understand your question regarding the two epistles to Timothy. They are referred to as pastoral epistles and I think there is much to gain for the here and now as well as some future things.

Don't know if that helps any :)

3. Dianna

Dianna New Member

I know my question is confusing, as I am trying to figure out what the person was saying to me...to me it seemed she was saying that the books of Timothy are for up till the End times, which this person says we are in now, so we should I guess focus more on Acts, because it is written for this time...end times. I dont' think that makes my question any clearer...but being confused on this, it is hard to explain the question.

"The PRIMARY difference between these verses in Timothy and Acts is that the one in Acts refers to the END TIMES that we are now in.(pale horse) The ones in Timothy are for then and up TIL the end times."

This is what I am refering to, above in quotes.

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well from the sounds of the question and how I was reading the comment it seems as though the lady is saying that Timothy has no value to us today as believers, which I would say in incorrect.

But again I don't know if that is much help.

5. Dianna

Dianna New Member

That is what is sounds like she is trying to say too...I don't see how someone who says she is a Reverand would ever say any part of the bible basically doesn't matter now.

6. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Is this lady a pastor/preacher of a church?

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Acts is the Acts of the Apostles and this text deals with how the message of the Kingdom went from being proclaimed by Jesus Christ himself, to how the Gospel was proclaimed by the early church (the Apostles).

Timothy was written by the Apostle to Timothy to help Timothy as he planted churches . . .

A woman pastor (if I read your posts correctly) could want to claim that Timothy was no longer in effect today . . . makes it easier to justify a woman being a 'reverend'.

8. Dianna

Dianna New Member

Yes.

Dianna

9. Dianna

Dianna New Member

Thank you for that information. :)

Dianna

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Dianna

Any time . .

Wayne

11. Allan

Allan Active Member

100% in agreement with El-Guero

Acts is about the acts of the apostles and so forth as previously stated.

Many women Pastorial types try to reduce certain books and passages because it is a sound rebuke to what they are doing in conflict with Gods Word.

I was asked to speak with woman who was the pastor of a youth from one of my bible studies (to better help me understand how I was wrong about such things) :BangHead:

This pastor in Gravette, Ar. Never used to beleive in women pastor until the women of the Charismatic church she was attending asked her to pray about being it pastor. She stated she would though she didn't THINK it was right. That night while studing scripture she can across the verse that states:
    "...there is neither Jew nor Greek, male nor female..." and she stopped as she stated God spoke to her and said "Here you see you are equal with men and able to be my minister to this church."

I then asked Her to look again at the scripture in context (since it is speaking of salvation) and showed her this. Her response was this: What God says will always overide this book. It does not keep up with the times and women are no longer the slaves of men. God said it, and that is good enough for me." She then go up and left.

This is just a taste of what you will get when you show that God's Word is always relevent to the times. I pray you will have the heart of love to share but of boldness to stand for the truth that God, Himself has set before us. But I also pray that if and when you stand THEY will have a heart to hear and see what you say from Gods Word.

#11 Allan, Sep 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2006
  12. Dianna

Dianna New Member

I have never before had to defend God's words in any way.It is strange having to do it with other Christians. It is really making me take an even deeper look at God's words, making me study more, and that is a blessing. I wanted yesterday to leave this list, because I can tell I am becoming someone that just about everyone on the list is going to have an issue with, b/c I am not just agreeing with that they say, but I need to stand firm, and pray that maybe even just one of them will see things they are telling is not true...

Dianna

13. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

The whole Bible was written for us today:

Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

There's not cut-and-paste truth presented in the Bible. It's a unified truth. Under law, man fails. Under grace, God saves. Law and grace are not "dispensations", but rather they are covenants, or "agreements", upon which man was to enjoy the blessings of God. The covenant of Law was faulty because man did not and will not keep his end of the agreement. The covenant of grace can not fail because the agreement is between the Father, the Spirit, and the Son, and man is the beneficiary.

If you understand the two covenants, you can basicly understand the entire Bible.