1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question to the GES: Deity of Christ

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Lou Martuneac, Aug 19, 2007.

?
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    88.2%
  3. I'm Not Sure

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

I've been reading your blog and according to this "Crossless" gospel, even a Roman Catholic is saved if he/she believes in Jesus Christ for eternal life. We know that Catholics don't deny the deity of Christ, but they do deny the sufficiency of His sacrifice because of their teaching on the Sacrifice of the Mass and Purgatory.

This "Crossless" gospel is extremely dangerous and will give multitudes a false assurance of salvation that will send them into a Christless eternity.

2. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Linda:

Their reasoning is so loaded with doube-speak they evade alomst every dangerous scenario that flows from their "Crossless/Deityless" interpretation of the Gospel. If the double-speak does not work, they will NOT answer a legitimate question. This is true of Bob Wilkin right on down.

Some of them do admit that they believe a JW, who clings to all of his heretical beliefs about Jesus Christ, can be born again just by believeing in the name Jesus, no matter who Jesus is to that unsaved JW.

LM

3. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Post-Holiday Update

Since much has happened over the Labor Day weekend I am pulling forward a combination of two previous posts. Many of you have been away, and this will get you back up to speed on the controversy over the "Crossless" gospel.

Saturday, 9/1/07:
    I thought this would be a good time for an overview of the current debate being waged at my blog and the Grace Evangelical Society (GES) blog. This is a synopsis of the issues in the “Crossless” gospel debates and I feel this would be a good transitional piece for over the holiday weekend.

The following is a slightly edited version of a note I just posted at the pro-“Crossless” gospel blog, UnAshamed of Grace . Antonio da Rosa administers that blog. Antonio is one of the most vocal, emotionally charged and spiritually immature advocates of the “Crossless” gospel you will find anywhere in the blogosphere.

{Antonio da Rosa deleted my post and one from another man, which is da Rosa'a standard practice when he has to bury some of the most disturbing aspects of their theology and/or practices. He is often banned and/or reprimanded at blogs for this and other poor choices in behavior.}

On this issue there is no doubt that Antonio and Jeremy Myers (GES staff member) have checked out on Scripture. They not only have reduced the Gospel to a message that has little resemblance to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but they have undermined His deity with the twisting and dumbing down of His titles.

When my book on Lordship Salvation came out I warned Antonio (and other GES men) not to get too cozy with me. I purposely did NOT quote Zane Hodges and even in my book gave a warning to my LS readers about Hodges. I saw the signs of this radical departure from orthodoxy as far back as 11 years ago. That is why I kept my distance.

Once I finally went ahead with public thoughts and posts at my blog on Zane Hodges and his interpretation of the Gospel, which is the official position of the GES, it set off this months long open debate. The one disappointment is that these men are never going to be genuine or transparent. Their doctrine has come under intense scrutiny and they are having are hard time dealing with it. They fall back to what they feel are the safe mantras and will not deviate from them.

The acceptance of the teaching of Zane Hodges on the Gospel has thoroughly corrupted their view of the Scriptures. They view the Gospel of John such single-mindedness that for them it trumps and negates the balance of the Bible whenever it touches on the Gospel and/or salvation. To make matters worse they have badly misinterpreted and skewed John’s Gospel.

Now, their egregious errors on the Gospel have come to light. Their view is now under intense scrutiny and I am finding that many who had little idea of just far they have gone doctrinally astray are seeing it.

Readers have also been able to witness the evasion and dodging of the deity of Christ questions. A few notable exceptions have admitted that under their system a man who consciously denies the deity of Christ can be born again only by believing in the name of Jesus for eternal life. At the GES blog I have gained more admissions to this disturbing fact that is inherent with their interpretation of the Gospel.

For the advocates of the “Crossless” gospel a Jehovah's Witness, who clings to his heretical beliefs about the deity of Jesus, can be born again under their system of believing in the name of Jesus, who for the JW, is anything but deity. William Fiess and Alvin at the GES blog have affirmed this position. This is no hypothetical situation; it is real and reveals one of the most egregious extremes coming from the GES on the Gospel.

There is no doubt Antonio da Rosa and Jeremy Myers take the same position, their message demands it, but they will NOT acknowledge it or even address a question about the deity of Christ if it involves their belief on the Gospel. Jeremy is especially unwilling to do so because from his GES position, that admission would be catastrophic for the GES, which has already lost a great many members over this issue.

Furthermore, I have been in contact with Bob Wilkin (Executive Director of the GES), who has written me several times, but to date has not yet replied to a proposal I have made to him to have the public debate on the doctrine of the “Crossless” gospel he has publicly called for. Once I offered to help organize that debate he stopped replying. I trust and asked him if I can expect to from him by Tuesday. I have been updating this exchange at my blog.

UpDate (Monday, 9/3) Another very important development in the debate over the "Crossless" interpretation of the Gospel.

Please read, Bob Wilkin (Alleged) Response to the Debate & Deity Questions.

There is new set of articles coming to my blog this week. These articles will raise the level of debate on their interpretation of the Gospel. The men (Jeremy, Antonio, Wilkin, et al.) who hold to the position coming from Zane Hodges and the GES will have much to be called to account for.

LM

#43 Lou Martuneac, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007
  4. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Are we now in the business of telling God who He can save and whom He can not save? Get real.
    How much theology did the thief on the cross have? How about Paul? Was he a believer when he was blinded by the Light? How about Romans 2:14-16? 14. For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves,
    15. in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,
    16. on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

Is there a possibility of someone being saved that does not have all our theology? I think I'll leave that to God while doing my best to spread the Gospel. Funny statement coming from a Calvinst you say?
    You have a lot of theological knowledge Lou. How much of your knowledge have you made your life?
    This is what I am afraid of. I have gained much theological knowledge myself, but have I made all this knowledge my life?
    I think it is a dangerous thing to tell God whom He may save and whom He may not. We certainly should dispell false teaching.... But how many common people are going to become theologians? One of the greatest faults of our churches today has become the lack of discipleship. That fault is our own however.
    How about us concentrating upon spreading the Gospel and leave the saving to God? Unless of course you are too busy trying to promote a book or to destroy another man's theology. I hope you are not doing that Lou. I don't think you are.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I believe Lou Martuneac pastors a church in the Greater Chicago area, if I'm not mistaken. I do know he is active in speaking to Christian brothers and sisters at conferences, including one I recently attended, as well. Lou, correct me if I am wrong.

Ed

#45 EdSutton, Sep 4, 2007
  6. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

reformedbeliever,

Looking at your first statement sure sounds strange coming from a Calvinist who believes that God "predestines" and "elects" those who will be saved and those who are damned to eternal hellfire.

Preaching a "Crossless/Dietyless" Christ is not preaching the Gospel which saves. The Gospel which saves is Jesus Christ, crucified, buried, and risen, according to the Scriptures. (1 Cor. 15:1-4) Anyone can believe the facts about Jesus Christ--that He gives us eternal life--that He died on a cross, that He was buried, and that He rose again on the third day. Unless a person personally trusts in the ENTIRE Gospel--the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ--the facts ABOUT Jesus Christ will remain just FACTS--and those FACTS will not save. One does not need a degree in theology to understand the Gospel which saves. The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation:

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. (Romans 1:16)

A "Crossless/Deityless" Gospel has NO power--it will not save anybody. First and foremost, it leaves out the BLOOD--and "without the shedding of blood, there is no remission" (Hebrews 9:22)

The salvation of the lost should be the desire of all believers (Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15; Luke 24:47)--not for our own glory, but only for the glory of God. The fault with most churches is not lack of discipleship, but it is compromise and tolerance--compromising truth for the sake of tolerating error.

7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can anyone claim Christ or that they believe in Him with out knowing anything about Him? I guess I thought I had heard it all until I read about this. Believing is knowing the truth about what you believe. If you only know partially you can only believe partially.
    MB

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to defend the aforementioned individuals since I haven't read their posts on the other boards, and I can't read your blog because your domain is blocked by American Family Filter, but this doesn't appear to be their assertion in the quotes you posted in the beginning of this thread.

Going from the quotes as you posted them, the question appears to be, what does a man have to believe to be saved? And from Paul's statement, it appears that there is a lot of room for learning and growth. Does one have to understand the Trinity? Obviously not. It's not the doctrine that saves, it's the Person. If Christ is the object of one's faith, he's saved regardless of how much he knows about that Person.

But wait! Lou comes into a nursery and says, if these sucklings can't chew these steaks that I shove in their mouths, they weren't really born!

#48 Aaron, Sep 4, 2007
  9. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Hi Ed:

Been away all day.

I do not pastor a church. I do speak from time to time at conferences. I am ordained and was a missionary in South Africa. Taught at PCC (5 years) and I was the VP and a teacher at the Calvary Baptist Theological College (3 years) in Johannesburg, South Africa.

There is more but out of time.

I really enjoyed meeting you at the Grace Conference.

LM

10. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Aaron:

All I have time to say is that you, like Jeremy Myers and Bob Wilkin (both at GES), dodge any question that involves the deity of Jesus Christ in relation to their "Crossless" interpretation of the Gospel.

Let's try this: Do you believe that His titles "Son of God," and "Christ" indicate and infer His deity?

LM

PS: If Am Fam blocks my site I am sure you can get them to clear it for you.

11. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

MB:

The "Crossless" advocate considers any information shared with the lost man outside of "believe in Jesus as the Giver of eternal life," as "excess baggage." That is right from Zane Hodges and the GES.

Imagine, and this is true of the "Crossless" advocates' teaching, the sinner does to need to know, understand or believe anything about Christ's death, resurrection or deity.

The lost man, by saying he is trusting Jesus's promise of eternal life (whoever he thinks Jesus is), is born again without having to know or believe anything about Jesus and what He did to provide salvation.

And this: The "Crossless" advocates teach that the lost person does not even have to know or believe he is a sinner, but still can be born again by believing a promise.

That is the "Crossless/Sinless/Deityless" gospel!

LM

12. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Major Announcement

To All:

Sorry for the obvious plug, but there will be a major announcement coming from my blog later today.

The announcement is in regard to the Grace Evangelical Society, Bob Wilkin and the discussion over the biblical terms and definitions of the Gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

This news will be of great interest to those who are part of the Free Grace community.

LM

13. reformedbeliever

Do you know the difference between predestination and double predestination? Where have I said I believe in double predestination? Can you supply the quote?

Do you really understand Calvinism? It does not seem so.

Did Paul believe the diety of Christ when the Lord struck him down?

How would you exegete Romans 2:14-16? Is there possibly room there for those who do not have our complete theology? Are you sure? Why do you assume the role of judge? I thought that was Christ's. For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves,
    15. in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16. on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.
    I personally do not think it is an exercise of the will to be born again. I refer to John 1:13 for that view.

I of course believe and teach the necessity of the cross... the ressurection... and the diety of Christ. I'm just not dogmatic about how much a person has to understand before he can be born again. I think many are born again without much theology.... most actually. The early church did not believe in the divinity of Chirst. Refer to the early writers to see that. Were they all lost because they had faulty theology? Many suffered being maimed for Christ. They were willing to die for their Savior and the theology that they understood. How about all the professing believers who did not have scripture to study and understand? Were they all lost? Was not the simple Gospel enough? Did you know that many of the early churches did not have complete bibles? I think it is dangerous to assume a role that is not ours.
    You of course are entitled to your opinion. God bless.

#53 reformedbeliever, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :applause: Hear! Hear!

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't dodge the question at all. I answered it straightforwardly. No one has to know or understand the Trinity to be saved.
    Of course, but does one have to understand that to be saved?
    Now, to your straw man, can one consciously deny the deity of Christ? A babe can choke on strong meat and spew it out because he can't handle it, and yet still be a babe in Christ. To you it may look as if he's rejecting the Gospel, but it's completely different to one who can see it for what it is.

It boils down to what saves a man. Does Christ save a man or does he save himself? I think in all your harping on this issue you are actually in more danger of denying Christ than those of whom I've read in this thread. When you say one MUST understand and affirm any doctrine to be saved, you are taking the power of salvation out of Christ's hands and putting it into a man's. No longer does Christ have the power to save. Now it's doctrine that saves, not a Person.
    That's all right. Not interested.

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Lou?? Make an obvious plug??

"Say it ain't so, Ethel!" :eek:

:laugh: :laugh:

Ed

#56 EdSutton, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  17. reformedbeliever

I missed your response to me Ed... sorry. I don't care if Lou is the pope. I still stand on my response to him. Thanks anyway.

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trully blind faith. Of course I would have to disagree with it since there is no such thing as blind faith.
    Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

MB

19. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Lou Martueac,
    I wouldn't go so far as saying that Calvinist are "cross less advocates". I'm not a Calvinist but I've spoken with many of them here and else where. Most that I know do believe in Christ and do know Him. It isn't a matter of being absolutely correct or of knowing every single detail of Christ that is needed to be saved. The basic knowledge of the gospel message is enough. Most Christians like myself do not stop learning just because they're saved. I'll still be learning about Him when this life is over. In fact I hope I never stop learning about Him. No one knows everything about Him. Can you honestly say you know everything you should know and understand about Him? If so then this would truly be a miracle because you'd be the first.
    MB

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I do not particularly care if anyone (Lou Martuneac, reformedbeliever, EdSutton, or Joe Blow) is the pope, either, for tha matter.

My response was directed at a 'tenor' I thought I saw "sneaking in" toward the end of the of the post, that I got, and also to let one know that I believe Lou Martuneac to be a pastor of a church, nothing more or less. The fact that anyone is or is not a pastor is really irrelevant, except to say that one may be attempting to do what they believe God has called them to do, in such an instance.

I admit, this is merely my opinion.

Ed

#60 EdSutton, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007